Profile for miss Linford > Reviews

miss Linford (UK)

Bloch :Mirella M202LM Camisole Leotard -Black/S
Bloch :Mirella M202LM Camisole Leotard -Black/S

2.0 out of 5 stars Sizing Issues, 6 May 2012
So I'm a size 8/10 or a small, yet when I got the leotard it wasn't a great fit, it was very short in the body, so for starters I would recommend ordering a size bigger. I wore it for an evening class and came home with marks on my shoulders from where it had been pulling and it hurt my inner legs too. I haven't worn it since.

The tricky thing is I now can't return it as it is vaguely classed as underwear so I'm stuck with a leotard I won't be using. Otherwise it was a well made garment with a good lining to it and even though it didn't fit me properly it looked quite nice on.

Overall not a bad product, just a terribly misleading size guide.

Tervakoski 25 GSM 297 mm X 100 m Paper Roll
Tervakoski 25 GSM 297 mm X 100 m Paper Roll
Offered by Lucas Art

4.0 out of 5 stars Architects best friend, 6 May 2012
I used this paper at work and so decided to buy some more when I went back to study my postgraduate architecture degree. It's great because it just lasts so long, and I mainly use it for quick sketches and drawings that need layering ontop of one another on the drawing board. It isn't as transparent as typical trace paper, but it does have a better grain to it, it's quite textured like cartridge paper rather than smooth like trace.

It didn't used to be this expensive, I bought it last year for half the price, which is why I gave it 4 stars instead of 5. However I only use two rolls in a year and I sketch a lot.

Around and About Stock Orchard Street
Around and About Stock Orchard Street
by Sarah Wigglesworth

5.0 out of 5 stars A Holistic Look at a Building and it's Ethics, 20 Dec. 2011
I bought this as a postgraduate architecture student and it is one of the best books I have come across. The reasons for this is that it thoroughly covers the infamous 9 Stock Orchard Street in such detail, but not in the conventional way. Typically architecture books outline the building and tend to ignore the social, political, and sadly even geographical context that they were created in. The typical architecture book often looks like a glossy catalogue for a finished product - which in architecture is just simply a myth.

What this book does is address the truth of how buildings come about, what they come to mean, and covers in great detail the difficulty in conceiving a building when trying to use techniques that are dificult to get on an NBS spec sheet.

The essays and chapters are varied, and all use the building as a case study but go on to elaborate on broader topics that are relevant to other situations, other buildings, and mostly to practice in general. This book is not a coffee table book, it does have pretty pictures, but it is so full of rich information it would be a shame not to read it.

Le Corbusier in Detail
Le Corbusier in Detail
by Flora Samuel

5.0 out of 5 stars A book that makes architecture details exciting!?!?, 19 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Le Corbusier in Detail (Paperback)
I bought this book recently for my postgraduate architecture course (Part 2) and it was more than I could have hoped for. There are three kinds of architecture books; the type that is informative yet dry, the sexy type that sits on a coffee table, and the type that makes the subject matter informative and exciting simultaneously.

I never thought I'd get excited about architecture details; until I read this. The book is successful because it includes the development of details that Corbusier used . It highlights things that are probably only noticeable when you're actually in one of the buildings (the way the windows open, the door handles, the quirky little tactile details that make a building into an experience).

Basically it's like going on a tour around some Le Corb buildings with an enthusiast who knows every nook and cranny of the building and points out a detail and then tells it's story.

I think it's a good purchase for an architecture student (it was handed around with much interest in the studio) or for an architect. It's not too heavily opinionated, it's more of a curated collection of details that reveal the architects intent. It made me rethink the image I had of Le Corb from the minimalist and bare photos that are so commonly found of his work, this shows the more human, touchable qualities, that alone, are delightful.

Freeloader Globetrotter Pro
Freeloader Globetrotter Pro

4.0 out of 5 stars A Little Life Saver for Camping., 19 Jun. 2011
I went on a 6 week camping trip on a motorcycle down the west coast and the solarpro came in handy. I bought it over the SolarMonkey because I have a Canon camera and this was the only product that would charge it.

The best bits...

It's robust,
it's compact and small,
it has an adapter end for pretty much everything,
it's simple to use,
I only charged it twice from a USB during 6 weeks and I charged my camera (usually a heavy load for a charger) and phone every couple of days, the camera battery charger was excellent.

Things to improve...

There isn't an easy way to attach it to a bag (didn't buy the supercharger) and I used hair elastics.
The lights to tell you it is charging are a little hard to see in bright daylight.
Overcharging the battery damages it and there isn't a mechanism to automatically stop charging from USB.
It doesn't appear to be waterproof.

I didn't actually buy the globetrotter pack so I can't review the supercharger. However after trying and testing the camera battery charger I would advise reading the instructions first as it is a bit tricky but works very well.

Another word of warning is not to overcharge the battery when you charge from a USB port as this damages the battery and it won't work again (I had mine fixed courtesy of Freeloader).

The people at Freeloader were amazing in fixing my solarcharger (which was my own fault and fixed at no charge), and I would definitely recommend this product, especially for camping. The reason I am writing this review is because I am now looking to buy a supercharger so I can fix it to a bag.

Augmented Landscapes: Smout Allen (Pamphlet Architecture)
Augmented Landscapes: Smout Allen (Pamphlet Architecture)
by Smout Allen

4.0 out of 5 stars A refreshing read, 3 Aug. 2009
This was my first book from the Pamphlet Architecture collection and I found it so refreshing. The ideas and concepts are not only interesting but presented in such an exciting graphical language. The projects are thought provoking and the solutions to such challenging situations are poetic. I am glad to have bought this book and have started my own pamphlet architecture collection because of it.

Would make a good gift for an architect/architecture student.

Braun Silk epil X'elle 5185 Epilator
Braun Silk epil X'elle 5185 Epilator

4.0 out of 5 stars Shaving, to Waxing, and now this..., 12 July 2008
It seems that I am collecting Braun appliances. I also have an electric toothbrush and a hairdryer as well as this..

I used to wax but having to let my hair grow long enough for that was an annoyance. Shaving was out of the question as I don't have the time, or in fact the money to afford a Gillette pack of razors. So epilating was a good option.

As a beginner I found the starter pack was handy indeed. The ice pack numbs the area first so you can't really feel the pain. It also has a starter head to grab less hair at a time, and a starter clip on head that has rubbery sprung nodules that massage the skin. This basically takes it easy on you as you become used to the whole thing.

As it comes with two roller heads (that grab the hair) and two clip on heads, that determine how close it is to the skin, you can mix and match until you are used to epilating. It also has two speed settings so there really is great flexibility. You can be a wimp and do it slow or be Rambo and whip them off fast.

The light is a necessity. I cannot understand why other brands do not have this feature. You cannot really see which hairs you have not covered without it. Especially under the arms where it is hard to see and I would recommend using a mirror.

It has a nice little mesh bag to keep it all together, and a cleaning brush. You will be surprised how much hair it takes away.

If you choose to epilate it does hurt at first and is quite uncomfortable but it does go away and in my opinion is the best way to get rid of hair. If you want a good epilator I would really recommend a Braun.

Save This Shirt: Cut It. Stitch It. Wear It Now!
Save This Shirt: Cut It. Stitch It. Wear It Now!
by Hannah Rogge
Edition: Hardcover-spiral

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy and so practical, yet fashionable, 3 Feb. 2008
The transformations are easy to do, and simply require hand stitching. You cut the old t-shirts using a fitted t shirt as a measurement so you do not have to be a taylor to get the best out of this book.

After buying the book you pretty much get your moneys worth as you get a free t shirt to start with. There are projects that use the scraps of the t shirt and others that are a little more complex. What to do next? Get yourself to a charity shop or steel your boyfriends old t shirts and make them into something great.

Crumpler The Gimp 15" Laptop Sleeve - Red
Crumpler The Gimp 15" Laptop Sleeve - Red
Offered by Modern-Tech

4.0 out of 5 stars Lose the bulky laptop bag., 21 Jan. 2008
I used to lug my laptop around in a massive latop bag. Moving around with lots of luggage plus this extra bag used to annoy me. I bought one of these for my hp dv1355ea which is actually a 14 inch widescreen. This was the best price and most likley to fit, and although it is quite big it still protects my latop.

What I wouldn't recommend is leaving your laptop on whilst it is inside as it may overheat. It comes with little elastic hooks on the corners too so you can just keep it on whilst you work. After buying one my housemate has decided to opt for one too. It is a definate for those who want to protect their laptop but don't like those bulky laptop bags, and for those of us that just like convenience.