Profile for Paul > Reviews

Albania f&b (r)
by Freytag & Berndt
Edition: Map

5.0 out of 5 stars Very clear, 20 May 2013
This review is from: Albania f&b (r) (Map)
Very clear easy to read mapping on thick quality paper. I bought this to tour Albania and it proved an essential. Cheaper maps can be found but not at this scale.

Macedonia T10 f&b (+r)
Macedonia T10 f&b (+r)
by Freytag & Berndt
Edition: Map

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear, 20 May 2013
This review is from: Macedonia T10 f&b (+r) (Map)
Very clear easy to read mapping on thick quality paper. Cheaper maps can be found but not at this scale.

Struwwelpeter in English Translation (Dover Children's Classics)
Struwwelpeter in English Translation (Dover Children's Classics)
by Heinrich Hoffmann

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic brilliance!, 27 April 2013
I grew up as a young boy in a home without television......but stacks of books and this was just one amongst the many I used to read through as a little boy. The illustrations are curiously dated and funny now but the one of 'Shock headed Peter' used to give me nightmares! Didn't stop me from growing my own hair long though as a rebel teenager of the 60s!

I bought this for my two year old Grandson to pass on some of my crazy childhood memories. As with many childrens books from that era it was written and illustrated with a message of what can become of 'naughty boys'!

ECC Europa Camping + Caravaning-Führer 2013: Campingführer Deutschland/Europa
ECC Europa Camping + Caravaning-Führer 2013: Campingführer Deutschland/Europa

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 27 April 2013
One of the most comprehensive Camping site guide books i've seen covering sites in 35 countries and at just over 1000 pages this book dropped through my door like a brick on delivery! Published by a German company so the main language is naturally German but the key to the symbols are explained in English and, typically German it is meticulous in detail. Most important of all is EVERY site listed has the all important GPS co-ordinates which most of us now rely on.

It's way too thick and heavy for lightweight Campers such as cyclists or hikers to carry around but I would recommend ANY Motorhome travellers to buy. It is excellent value for money.

Pioneer DVR-S20LBK 24x SATA Internal DVDRW Black - Retail Kit Including Label Flash

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent DVD....shame no colour choice, 11 Jan 2013
Had Pioneer DVD-RW drives before so had no hesitation in buying this to use as a secondary drive in my new computer. Comes complete with mounting screws which is very useful as when you fit any drives chances are you have never got any screws which will fit!

The one 'gripe' I have is Amazon ONLY offer it in Black despite it being manufactured in Cream or Silver as well. As the front of many computers are now black (as mine is), it would have been useful to have the choice of a different colour to make visibility possible!

Avtex W103DB 7 in 1 Combi TV - Black 10.1 Inch
Avtex W103DB 7 in 1 Combi TV - Black 10.1 Inch

4.0 out of 5 stars Not cheap.....but good 'spec', 20 Nov 2011
I bought one of these for my campervan as 10" was the largest size screen I could fit in my van plus it draws very little current and that's a major plus point for motorhome owners.. I mounted it on a swivel and tilt bracket which is something you need to bear in mind as this gives good viewing from any angle. The flat fixed type of bracket does look more tidy, but then the television cannot be moved at all which is the reason I chose the swivel/tilt type.

The television comes with mains cable, 12v plug and lead, AV lead, indoor wire aerial, remote control and instruction manual. It's worth noting that the supplied 12v plug appears to be rather oversized and I found it such a tight fit in an extension socket, I had to ram it in. To give some idea how 'over-size' the 12v plug is, it was impossible to fit in the standard lighter socket fitted in my Ford Transit campervan. So you may well be looking at cutting the plug off and fitting one that will actually go in a socket! This is not very good.

The set is very easy to get up and running and the instruction manual is clear. The picture is excellent.

The DVD facility is good and takes blank media so you can burn your own discs but it will only play single layer, not dual layer which is a bit disappointing.

The remote control is very poor to say the least. Much too fragile. The buttons feel quite flimsy and for a television costing almost £300 I would have expected something far more substantial. I've seen better remotes with sets costing a fraction of this price and it won't stand up to much heavy use for long.

The SD card slot oddly will only accept cards formatted in FAT.....which considering the usual format is FAT32, is pretty much useless for anything other than viewing photographs.

The AV connection is a single jack plug socket so to use your mp4 player or tablet you will need an AV-AV phono connector block to couple the two together.....so end up with a long length of cable! But at least it works!

I've not yet used the Avtex in europe so cannot comment on it's SECAM signal capability, but as most of my touring is there rather than in the UK it will be interesting to see how it performs.

The W103D is NOT a cheap set though if you shop around you will find them selling for £250....but that was the lowest I found. The 16" Avtex is being sold cheaper than the 10" in some places so if you have the room then i'd go for that.

Stasiland: Stories from Behind the Berlin Wall
Stasiland: Stories from Behind the Berlin Wall
by Anna Funder

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read but lacks direction, 8 May 2011
Being fascinated in anything concerning the history of the DDR and having visited many places of east Germany, I bought this book expecting to read a full account of the workings of the Stasi. Maybe that was expecting a bit too much as it would undoubtedly take a few volumes! So 'Stasiland' is whittled down to just 282 pages. But instead of making the most of those 282 pages, the author has a tendency to elaborate in great detail about the interior decor of someones apartment, the shape of a female friends body and how she holds and smokes her cigarette, or the birds singing in the trees.

Is any of this relevant to the workings of the Stasi? No, but Funder is keen to let us know these pieces of trivia. When there is any in depth detail relating to the book title, suddenly Funder veers off topic into trivia which I found annoying at times.

Lowepro Apex 20AW Digital Camera Pouch - Arctic Blue
Lowepro Apex 20AW Digital Camera Pouch - Arctic Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars TZ10 will not be disappointed!, 23 Oct 2010
Searched for a decent camera bag for my TZ10 and already knew the reputation Lowepro have for quality. From the measurements this seemed just the right bag (more of a pouch really!). Then I read varying reviews on it....some good, some not so good with comments like "the zip has already scratched my camera". Quite how they managed that is beyond me as the zip is nylon!!

A TZ10 fits in 'snug'. Inside there are two compartments with enough room to stick at least a couple of spare batteries (possibly three at a squeeze) and two or three cards. It is well padded and I get the impression the bag would stand up to a fair bit of knocking about.

Comes with shoulder strap, belt loop and rain hood.

Finally before you buy i'd advise doing a google as prices are literally all over the place ranging from reasonable to downright outrageous (I found some 20AW's being sold for as much as £30!). I paid £[] inc p&p.

Humax FOXSAT-HDR Freesat+ 320GB HD Digital TV Twin Tuner HD Recorder - Installation Recommended (Old model) (discontinued by manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars A learning curve!, 3 April 2010
Decided to go Freesat as I cannot receive cable in my area and wanted no involvement with Sky.

After much searching and comparing features etc I decided on the Humax after being recommended as 'quality equipment' by a professional satellite installer, and bought the twin tuner model with hard drive as there may be occasions when programmes clash. Twin tuners will also record two different programmes which may either be on at the same time or over run each other.

The guy who installed my dish set the Humax up for me, gave me a brief 'demo' and then left me to get on with it. The written manual is good but I use the onscreen menu more. The remote is huge...almost the size of a Toblerone so you won't easily lose it! As has been mentioned on other reviews, for some odd reason Humax place the most used buttons at the bottom, and they are small. Why they do this I have no idea. Very strange. Booting up is slow and takes around 10 or 20 seconds to 'kick in'.

You have to get used to 'new' techno terminology such as EPG (electronic programme guide) which is the onscreen programme guide and essential for recording.

Having come from using vcr's I have to say this is NOT as simple or straightforward as programming a vcr. You cannot record just part of a programme as you can with a vcr....you have to record the lot and then edit out what you don't want. Easier said than done! So I still have to learn how editing is done. What is good about the EPG (once you have learned how to use it!) is you can select which programmes you want to record and set it to record the entire series (it cleverly weeds out repeat showings), or record 'once only'. So you can programme recordings and forget about them.

Once you have recorded a programme to the hard drive, you may well want to make a copy of it to keep on disc. Whilst burning a dvd disc from the hard drive in my computer is 'abc', doing the same from the Humax to a stand-alone dvd recorder is not! There is no explanation in the manual how to achieve this and I still have to discover how it is done as there is no recording output despite there being a wide range of sockets on the back panel.

Humax receivers are not the cheapest, but the quality is very good.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 27, 2013 3:22 AM GMT

Into That Darkness: From Mercy Killing to Mass Murder
Into That Darkness: From Mercy Killing to Mass Murder
by Gitta Sereny

5.0 out of 5 stars A chilling study of the Nazi mind, 28 Mar 2010
I found the title and author of this book whilst reading Escape From Sobibor (an excellent book by Richard Rashke).

I particularly wanted to read Into That Darkness as I felt it could help answer questions I have asked myself many many times. Just what was in the minds of the Nazi's who carried out some of the most horrific crimes beyond all comprehension. Did these murderers also have families and children themselves? What was it that drove them to such depths? Exactly what was in their minds when knowingly organising mass murder on such a massive scale?

Gitta Sereny held in depth interviews with Franz Stangl, a man who in the beginning was simply no more than a Police Officer but went on to become Camp Commandant of Sobibor and Treblinka, two of just five camps set up specifically for extermination. Sereny was the last person to interview Stangl as just nineteen hours after her she completed her last interview, he died.

Sereny first goes into the background of Stangl and takes him back to his childhood days. The evil Euthanasia programme he became involved in as a Police Officer which undoubtedly formed the foundation for the extermination camps. Later she moves on to discuss his family life in detail....his wife and children. Stangl's wife gave a great deal of help to Sereny and it becomes quite obvious that she deeply loved her husband. When Stangl was sent to organise Sobibor he told his wife he was involved in building and construction which, in part, was true. It was not until much later during a visit to see her husband that a drunk SS officer told her what was being done there.

Sereny devotes a large section of her book to the hypocrisy of the hierarchy within the Roman Catholic Church and quotes from documentation in detail, proving not only their knowledge of the Euthanasia programme, but also the mass murder of Jewish people. Many Roman Catholics have long lived in denial of this and any RC readers will find this part of the book quite uncomfortable. Sereny researched this in the finest detail possible accessing documents previously unavailable. Accept it or deny it....here is FACT from official documents.

Page: 1 | 2