Profile for Alvaro J. R. Neto > Reviews

Content by Alvaro J. R. Neto

Alvaro J. R. Neto (London)

The Age of Turbulence: Adventures in a New World
The Age of Turbulence: Adventures in a New World
by Alan Greenspan

4.0 out of 5 stars A very solid book from a free stout marketeer, 28 Aug 2010
I liked this book, and I was pleasantly surprised to realise that I agree with much of Greenspan's opinions.

It seems to me though, that the way the book covers certain topics would be hard to grasp if the reader does not have an adequate understanding of economic jargon and theory.

But Greenspan's reasoning is, in exception of very few instances, solid and reasonable.

Greenspan did commit mistakes during his Chairmanship. We all commit mistakes though, we are human. Only weakly does this support the notion that his free market views are wrong, not to mention the fact that business cycles are beyond any individual's influential abilities -- they always have and (extremely likely) will always be with us.

I preferred the first few chapters, where he gives us the point of view as the Federal Reserve Chairman over chapters of recent history, and his involvement in them. Those stories are quite intriguing. His view on today's and tomorrow's World as a practising economist are also interesting, mind you. But not as intriguing as stories about his interactions with US Presidents (and comparisons between Presidents), Soviet officials, and other notable characters.

A good book, a good purchase. One to keep in the library, definitely.

No Limits: The Will to Succeed
No Limits: The Will to Succeed
by Michael Phelps

4.0 out of 5 stars Michael Phelps' enduring journey to the pinnacle of the sports world, 28 May 2010
To get the negative out of the way, the reason why I don't give the book a five star is because the language used is not all that captivating. It's written by Phelps himself, and he's not a poet.

The four star goes solely on the story being told. No limits is a fitting name to his journey.

Though Phelps' story is not all that different from other stories of extraordinary achievement - extreme dedication, extreme preparation and extreme passion for one's craft - he puts it in the context of what his body had to endure, and the mindset he has that allows him to overcome all to reach his definite goals.

I haven't read many books on sportsmen's journeys to stardom, but I would assume that most of them are not very different to what Michael Phelps describes. That takes nothing away from the value of this book: I read it and felt inspired to achieve my goals and to overcame whatever may need to be overcome. Yes, we have heard the same story before, still purposeful to read about how someone, another human being, went through the prescribed route of dedication and perseverance, and did indeed come out on top - no cinderella story, instead the story of someone who didn't give a damn about what he wasn't supposed to be able to do.