Profile for Daedalus > Reviews

Content by Daedalus

Daedalus "Daedalus" (Area 51)

Page: 1 | 2
The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-Chan, Vol. 1
The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-Chan, Vol. 1
by Nagaru Tanigawa

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite enjoyable, especially for Nagato/Kyon lovers, 29 Jun. 2015
Well, where do we start on this?

First of all, I have to say that from a character standpoint this is in many ways a 'What If?' manga, detailing what would happen if Kyon were in the Disappearance universe from the start. This includes a more emotive Nagato, a less cute yet psycho Ryoko, although Haruhi is more excitable but less prone to being a jerk as she had been in the original universe. Koizumi isn't ambiguously gay, and Kyon is a lot less of a snarker in general - although when he sees Haruhi, his snark comes back.

From all this though, it sets it up differently and runs it as a slice of life comedy with some romance in it. Part of change in setup includes how the characters interact - chapter 19 of this series has Haruhi acting as the sane man to Ryoko, who has become worried over Nagato and what may be happening... even though the situation was started by Ryoko. It's a harmless thing, but it makes sense when you see it.

There are though a few bits that some may dislike. Kyon for example is relatively flat, which may irk some readers. Koizumi can also be a little too much of a suck-up, but you'll likely get why later on, and it's not quite for the same reason as the original universe.

Still, I'd give this at least a try to anybody who wants something different from the main universe - it may well be a welcome change.

Asus USB-N53 USB Dual Band Wireless Dongle
Asus USB-N53 USB Dual Band Wireless Dongle
Offered by Falcon Computers UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, and bad parts to it, 20 July 2014
I got this two weeks ago and have so far used it mostly on one particular desktop - one which will always be where it is, and which has only one floor between it and my router.

So far I've found good parts and bad parts to it.

The main good parts to me are its strength of signal and general reliability - it's held up for some time so far and has yet to actually 'drop' as my old dongle did.

The software that comes with it also shows quite a few extra statistics which may be of interest to those who are qualified in networking in some manner - be they an engineer or somebody who did a networking unit at some level to let them know what it means.

It also has a fairly nice look to it for me, one which isn't too drab and dull as many can be.

But, there's always some bad points.

It doesn't come with a Windows 8.1 driver which will be a pain to anybody who wants to use it with an 8.1 box. I'm on Windows 7 so have no issues with it, but some may do.

The cord that comes with it could be longer, but it's generally enough for most desktops and laptops - some though may find otherwise.

Overall, to me, it's worth it. Those on Windows 8.1 though will have issues, so look elsewhere.

Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600 - Black, UK Layout
Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600 - Black, UK Layout

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, basic and cheerful, 22 Jun. 2014
It's a fairly cheap, basic keyboard which does as it says, and requires no huge setup and has no more advanced features which you'd ever use much.

It does though have four media buttons on the top which I never use - one point off because I'll never understand why they are there.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Hmm, well..., 22 Jun. 2014
I've owned this model of router for nearly three months, and in that time have found some issues but overall am happy. I can complain about some problems, but many aren't relevant to most but may be to some. Overall though, I am pleased - I can't complain about how it's been for me.

First, the good parts.

Setup overall was relatively easy, and once setup it was away and gone. Most will only need the quick wizard but anybody who has a unique configuration will find an option in there for their own use - if you have a range of IPv4 addresses like I do, even then it'll be quite easy.

The 2.4GHz wireless is for me quite strong, and wireless as a whole has quite a few options which many other routers lack. I can walk some distance and still be on my network, but this is of course dependent on how many networks are in your area, and where I am there aren't many networks at all, so take that much with a grain of salt. The more advanced options though can be very useful for some, but how useful you find this will generally depend on your network knowledge more than anything.

It also has full use of IPv6, and anybody with a Hurricane Electric tunnel can easily use their tunnel by setting it up on the router and knowing it'll just work. It doesn't take much to setup, and once done will do as it should with IPv6. Of course, it will depend on device compatibility but it is there and ready to be used.

There is a parental control option you can use to restrict time if you so desire, and it works well on this from what I find.

It can have up to six guest networks if you so desire with three on each band, although the default option is to have them open but to restrict LAN access. Be careful if you do intend to use them.

The Ethernet ports are all gigabit and if you use it will probably appreciate the bottleneck in your connection being your ISP and not your ethernet.

The look is something I quite appreciate as well - it's small, black and unassuming and isn't quite the dab, dull grey that others can be.

Now, for the bad.

The English in the firmware has been quite variable but generally you can work with it. It has overall improved, but can reach some awkward levels. If this annoys you enough, you may find the router unusable but it has been improved generally since its first firmwares. The setup manual and full manual in contrast are actually pretty good, and certainly much more readable.

Some of the features aren't given much of an explanation and some of those include things which others may use much more than I do, such as the USB features for remote media servers or how to do a rollover 3G/4G dongle or similar. Once it's explained it'll be quite easy to do, but actually getting it for some features can be hard.

The 5GHz wireless in contrast to my 2.4GHz findings is quite weak, which is part of the issue of 5GHz but it is still weak even in contrast to other ASUS routers. The main device I use 5GHz on is my Kindle Fire, and two rooms off it can be quite weak - to such a degree I'll need to use the 2.4GHz instead. If you make heavy use of 5GHz, I'd recommend going for something else - it can be enough of a concern if you use it regularly, especially if the devices which use it have more than just one wall between them and the router.

So, overall... Is it worth it? To me, it is. Consider though whether you need some of the more advanced or niche features - I use them, you may not.

Pokémon Black Version (Nintendo DS)
Pokémon Black Version (Nintendo DS)
Offered by Netro Enterprise

5.0 out of 5 stars To be brief..., 26 Mar. 2014
I've been playing since Red, Blue and Yellow, having had all three games and used them to complete the 'Dex because I could.

I did though stop at Sapphire and Ruby because it had become very similar by that point, and a change was needed to the formula for me to really get back into the games.

Black, and by extension X, have both done this for me, but the changes in Black give the games a breath of fresh air that I found myself wanting, and because of this I bought X and am now playing it so I can carry on playing, and loving it.

Thank you, Game Freak, for those changes which were wanted, and well thought-out.

Nintendo Handheld Console 3DS XL - Silver/Black (Nintendo 3DS)
Nintendo Handheld Console 3DS XL - Silver/Black (Nintendo 3DS)
Offered by GOLDEALS

5.0 out of 5 stars Hmm, well..., 3 Mar. 2014
Firstly, I am quite a tall woman with long arms and large hands. This makes the original 3DS very hard to use.

This version on the other hand is just the right size, and has enough room for me to move my thumbs and fingers about, and not worry about mishitting with the stylus if I do use it. The screens are also beautiful - and large enough and at such an angle that I can see the 3D effect easily from many angles.

One small part though is that due to its size, it can be wearing to hold. If you intend to use it on the go, make sure it's on a train seat or similar. This is though to be expected, and I find that many I know who have one don't have to worry too much about time because when they notice it, the battery will be half full, so they can close it up and just wait for their arms to rest.

5/5 <3

Sennheiser HD205 II, Closed over ear headphone with rotatable earcup
Sennheiser HD205 II, Closed over ear headphone with rotatable earcup

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, but..., 3 Mar. 2014
Firstly, to what matters to most people most of all - these do sound very good, and lack the distinct bass edge that many other cheaper headphones will have. These has been very good for some of my classical and baroque recordings, and some prog that I do listen to. There is still some boost to the bass there, but I don't find it to be too much of a distraction - but some likely still will. At this price, I don't think you'll do much better for sound quality, which at the time was £35.

There is though one problem with them which must be said. The size. I am a woman with a very large head, and these headphones do press against me and it makes the sides of my head hurt due to pressure. I can bear it, but any larger and it might be painful. I'll admit this is the fault of my own size - the headphones press against my bone and I can feel them easily, so do be warned if you are similarly large. It may be worth going for other headphones if you don't think you'll enjoy them too much for that factor.

5/5 for sound, but 3/5 for size.

Cable Matters Gold Plated DisplayPort to VGA Cable 2 Metres
Cable Matters Gold Plated DisplayPort to VGA Cable 2 Metres
Offered by Cable Matters

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly as I needed., 18 Oct. 2012
Within my work, I use programs that require rather different graphics card to what gamers and most people will need. Many of these graphics cards in modern forms will generally only have two options: DisplayPort, and DVI-DL. When it comes to monitors for these two, you're either going to have to buy an adaptor cable for a usual monitor, or just buy a monitor which can take either.

As a result of my monitor breaking, I felt I should buy a cable to adapt my VGA monitor to my graphics card for a minimum of downtime. As a result, I bought this cable.

I'm thankful I did because it doesn't degrade the image at all, compared to many other cables which can drop the signal at the slightest radio interferance or other problem with the signal - it holds its own quite well. The VGA portion of the cable is quite large as noted, which can be a pain, but it isn't an eyesore as it is just worthy of consideration.

While I have no doubt some will look elsewhere for the perfect cable, this is still very good and worthy of consideration. Your work won't suffer if you can deal with what may be a slight loss of image quality, but at this price I can't complain at all.

CPO 2M DVI Cable, DVI-D 24+1 Pin Full Dual Link Monitor Lead - Black and Blue
CPO 2M DVI Cable, DVI-D 24+1 Pin Full Dual Link Monitor Lead - Black and Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what it says on the tin., 21 Aug. 2012
As advertised, this is a DVI-D cable, 2 meters long, just the right length for many monitors being conntected to their boxes.

It does exactly that, and while it may not be well made, it's good enough for most setups that won't be knocked around much.

AMD FX-Series FX-8120 Black Edition Eight Core Processor (3.10 GHz, 16MB Cache, Socket AM3+, 125W, 3 Year Warranty, Retail Boxed)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but one caveat, 7 Jun. 2012
First: I must admit that I am an AMD fangirl. While I won't defend them to death if they made a card which could burn down your house for a stupid error on their own hardware, I will if I can buy their own products before Intel/Nvidia.

Now, with that said...

While Bulldozer as a whole has had some bad reviews, I myself have had no issues with it, and find this processor to be an improvement over my old four core Phenom. Some programs that I run (albeit not games) which are processor intensive are running much more smoothly, and able to generally complete tasks much quicker, and my system as a whole is more responsive.

However, it can easily run to 40c when pushed, and this is with an aftermarket cooler on it, and before any overclocking. This is however with quite a bit of its power being used, so while to be expected, especially with something this powerful, you shouldn't skim on a cooler for it, go for the Corsair H100 or something similarly power, if you want to attempt to overclock. When not being pushed and idle, it will hover around 20C. The stock cooler can just about hold its own, but you really should get it something better if you do wish to use it properly.

Overall, I'm happy with it, just wish it could run a bit cooler, especially as its max temperature is 60C.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 31, 2012 3:07 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2