Profile for Lola > Reviews

RITUALS Hammam Delight Shower Foam 200 ml
Offered by Bath & Unwind
Price: 14.92

4.0 out of 5 stars An experience., 29 July 2014
Recently, I splurged on quite a few Rituals products, this shower gel being one of them. I was going for the full SPA set up with Hammam Delight line of products, and this unique shower gel is quite an experience to use. It’s just like a shaving gel, you squeeze a little bit onto our hand (or a bathing sponge) and it lathers on contact with water (not very dramatically). It’s very gentle on skin and has a selection of natural ingredients. And yet, I feel it’s not for everyday use. The smell is quite strong and I feel it works (and feels) best when complemented with other Hammam Delight products (like shower scrub etc.). I noticed I would usually leave it aside for a weekend experience, using less strongly scented products on weekdays.

RITUALS Samurai Secret Shaving Gel 200 ml
RITUALS Samurai Secret Shaving Gel 200 ml
Price: 8.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Not just for samurais., 29 July 2014
Truth be told, this is nothing special BUT it lathers quite well and you've noticed the cuts are brought to a minimum! Otherwise it's just like any other shaving gel, with a special scent common to all other “Samurai” line products by Rituals. Although compared to the High Street shaving gel this is quite expensive.

We Steal Secrets: The Story of Wikileaks [DVD] [2012]
We Steal Secrets: The Story of Wikileaks [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ Alex Gibney
Price: 7.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Not any wiser., 28 July 2014
I enjoyed “We Still Secrets”, but, as with any documentary, you never know on whose side the director/producers are. It all starts well portraying Julian Assange as a reckless and fun fighter for truth. You cannot help but feel that he is fighting on behalf of all of us. And then, suddenly, the documentary takes different turn and depicts Assange as a self-indulgent and selfish dirty man hungry for fame, fathering children all over the world having relationships with way too eager female fans (two of which go to police because, allegedly, Assange had unprotected sex with them and then refused to provide a certificate confirming he was HIV clear). Yes, the second half of “We Steal Secrets” felt a bit like a front page of a tabloid newspaper, with an array of self-important individuals sharing their point of view. In the end, I felt I was not any wiser about Assange, or the Bradley Manning, or the rise and fall of WikiLeaks. But this documentary will definitely keep you thinking.

Eat My Heart Out
Eat My Heart Out

1.0 out of 5 stars One of the worst books I read this year, these past 5 years…, 28 July 2014
This review is from: Eat My Heart Out (Kindle Edition)
Zoe Pilger's first novel is an anti-romance with an anti-heroine. And I always had a soft spot for anti-heroes and anti-heroines, but Ann-Marie, the sentimental, dirty mind-dirty body heroine only awoken one emotion in me – annoyance. Neither Ann-Marie nor any other character in the book has any positive qualities. Not one of the characters is likeable, I felt no sympathy for them and their adventures and discoveries, experiments and art (the “art”!). As one of the characters says: "I want to be a bohemian." - it feels the book is desperately trying to be something big and shocking and validated, but it is failing at that.

Yes, I get it, it’s a satire, but it felt incredibly juvenile and vile. It’s adolescent rubbish full of Little Mermaid references (amongst a huge selection of random philosophical and feminist musings) that offers nothing (at least to me) and does so in an progressively boring and repetitive manner. It’s a love it or hate it books, so I guess your own taste is a judge here.

I will not recommend “Eat My Heart Out” to anybody, in fact, stay clear.

From the Desk of Jane Austen: 100 Postcards
From the Desk of Jane Austen: 100 Postcards
by Potter Style
Edition: Cards
Price: 12.92

5.0 out of 5 stars A special treat for a Jane Austen fan!, 28 July 2014
I am a huge fan of Jane Austen and when I saw these postcards in my local Waterstones I just had to get them. These are amazing, pastel coloured (although in a very limited colour-scheme), these are a selection of 25 quotes from Ms Austen’s literary works and personal letters, my personal favourite being: “I am very sorry to tell you that I am getting very extravagant and spending all my money, and what is worse for you, I have been spending yours too.” - letter from April 18, 1811. For anybody and everybody who has a soft spot for Jane, this would be a great treat when received in mail! Seriously, I feel it’s a treat just to look through the cards and smile at some sarcastic, some witty quotes “From the Desk of Jane Austen”. Yes, I wish there were 100 individual quotes, of course, but even these 25 quotes (repeating each 4 times) will be a wonderful gift for a fan. These would make a great gift or stocking filler.

Soap And Glory Pulp-Friction Foaming Fruity Body Scrub 250ml
Soap And Glory Pulp-Friction Foaming Fruity Body Scrub 250ml
Offered by Stephensons Online LTD
Price: 8.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Great product, shame about the ingredients., 25 July 2014
I was just about to rave about this Soap & Glory glorious scrub. Really, I love how it lathers up and scrub is so easy to work over your whole body, it smells lightly of all the fruity things (quite a trademark S&G scent). It contains a selection of fruit and nut oils and I would have definitely bought more of this product if only I would not check the Internet and saw that this product contains microbeads (like so many other cosmetics nowadays).

One one hand - I love the product, but on the other hand... See below.

The microbeads used in cosmetics flow straight from the bathroom drain into the sewer system; they contribute to the Plastic Soup swirling around the world's oceans. Microbeads are not biodegradable and once they enter the marine environment, they are impossible to remove. I could not find the PE or silicon mentioned in the ingredients, but perhaps S&G uses some other types of microbeads... II think these are the pink beads in the product. Beware.

Scotch Corporation Liquid Instant Hair Grease Remover for Drains 1 Litre
Scotch Corporation Liquid Instant Hair Grease Remover for Drains 1 Litre
Price: 9.41

4.0 out of 5 stars Scary instructions - good result!, 25 July 2014
After reading the instructions I expected this Scotch pipes unblocker to melt the bathroom pipelines and was really concerned about leaving it overnight! There is definitely an improvement, the water drains now quite quickly, and there was no lye smell in the bathroom after I used the product. Although I recommend using this Scotch product for a couple of nights in a row to completely clear the pipes. One bottle is enough for a couple of nights' treatment. I would certainly recommend this product and will use again.

I am not sure how "safe" this product is: they require you to cover the drain with plastic to stop the lye escaping... Or have I become paranoid after reading the scary instructions?

Byzantium [DVD] [2013]
Byzantium [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Gemma Arterton
Price: 6.00

2.0 out of 5 stars A stylish attempt at vampire movie that lacks any bite., 25 July 2014
This review is from: Byzantium [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
I didn't know what to expect of Byzantium, I was hoping for a classy British answer to all the vampire dramas recently offered by Hollywood. I hoped it would be a sophisticated and inspirational (if not moody) piece or cinema art. Instead, I found it dull, pretty boring, sketchy and full of moody characters. Overall, a uninspiring effort.

The only inspirational thing in this film was Saoirse Ronan's performance, she deserves her own star. Otherwise, what strives to be sexy and stylish fantasy thriller about mother and daughter vampires dealing living internal life, is, in reality, is never truly frightening and quite slow, especially when it ventures back into history, features a mysterious brotherhood, an olden map of an Irish island, and Sam Riley wearing an awful wig (and don’t let me get started of distasteful waterfalls of blood!).

The Wedding Weekend [DVD] [2007]
The Wedding Weekend [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ David Alan Basche
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 5.27

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth it, unless you have a special interest in a cappella performances., 20 July 2014
I have no idea how "The Wedding Weekend" crept into my rental list. But I suffered through it.

The film centres around a group of a cappella singers from college. Fifteen years after their graduation, a group of thirty-somethings reunites for a friend's wedding. Quickly and surely, we find out how unhappy their lives really are, and only music can save [and saves] them.

Sorry for the sarcastic review, the film is not the worst I've ever seen, but it's a mediocre attempt at comedy. Forgettable, not really necessary and quite boring. "The Wedding Weekend" is full of dull chat. The actors are evidently trying their best, but the script fails them miserably.

The Shadows (Books of Elsewhere)
The Shadows (Books of Elsewhere)
by Jacqueline West
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Un-putdown-able. 4.5/5 stars., 20 July 2014
"The Shadows" was read within 2 day by one 9 y.o., which is yet unprecedented. I read it as well, when I had a chance (and as it was recommended by the said 9 y.o. as a scary page-turner, I was even quoted some jokes from there!). What can I say? Obviously written for pre-teens, this is cleverly done story of one girl exploring her new [spooky] house and making unlikely friends. The narrative is very rich and fantastically describes the old creaky mansion and spooky paintings with something alive and moving within them!

For a 8-12 year old, I think this will be a treat and I would definitely check other books in the series.

P.S. It reminded me of Coraline.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20