Profile for Lola > Reviews

Hope: A Tragedy
Hope: A Tragedy
by Shalom Auslander

4.0 out of 5 stars I liked it!, 21 May 2015
This review is from: Hope: A Tragedy (Paperback)
I found “Hope: A Tragedy” unexpectedly ridiculous, very fast-paced, full of punch-you-in-the-face humour, but I am sure it's not everyone's cup of tea. I had no idea what the book was about before I picked it, and this was the best part – I was blow away by the absurdity of it. It’s ridiculous (or is it?), it’s offensive (or is it?) , it’s darkly comic. What to expect: present day, a New York state countryside where Solomon Kugel buys an old farm house and moves in his family including his lovely wife, 3 year old son and cranky old mother (the Holocaust survivor, or is she?). If I could I would not reveal who, as Kugel discovers, is responsible for the horrid smell in his new old house. But I guess it is impossible with all the other reviews. Another survivor is living in his attic, tap-tap-tapping away at her new novel, to match (if not to outsell) her debut (which sold over 30 million copies worldwide).

Original and well written, but too many repetitions, too much swearing and I did not laugh out loud once (despite finding it all pretty amusing). Three and a half stars. Actually, four stars, I am feeling generous.

Sugar
Sugar

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware the target audience - too simple, not very realistic and unnecessary depressing., 17 May 2015
This review is from: Sugar (Kindle Edition)
I am surprised (if not a little shocked) that "Sugar" is accumulating such positive 5-star reviews. I am, perhaps, overlooking the fact that this book is targeted at a younger audience, but boy, when did primitive, not challenging and predictable tear-jerker became a recipe for a best-seller? "Sugar" is a story about a 17-year old obese girl with a good heart. After a few chapters of Deirdre Riordan Hall ensuring we understand how big and heavy Sugar is, the young lady mysteriously finds a beautiful popular boy who falls in love with her. Until way into their "relationship" I was not able to believe that this young love is actually happening. It was too unreal and sugar-coated ("He tucks a loose strand of hair, plastered on my sweaty face, behind my ear, saying, "Brown is beautiful, earthy -") with romantic weekends away and strolls on the beach. It all felt a bit too Mills & Boon (sans adult content), a bit too sugar-coated - 18 year olds do not behave like that, unless they are Holden Caulfield.

Okay, the book deals with teenage obesity, its background and subject of comfort eating; school and home bullying. Alas, despite the motivational tone of the book, the magic release of Sugar from the bullying and obesity (SPOILER ALERT: she looses vast amounts of weight within half a year simply by walking to school and occasionally avoiding sugar drinks), the book feels like a fairy-tale, with no realistic confrontation of obesity and bullying.

And don't let me start on the language... "We stroll through the museum, and the day escapes us. It's mid-afternoon. I know we'll have to leave soon. A desperate urge to tell Even to just stay here and never go back pulls at my heart. No one will miss us. We can get jobs and find a place to stay. We have our lives ahead of us. Then I think of Mama. How would she get along without me?" Generally, I like to read a bit more sophisticated prose.

P.S. As an adult who occasionally enjoys YA fiction, I was disappointed with "Sugar". I understand I might be a completely wrong reader for the book, and I feel the low rating that I would give the book (2 stars, at most) is, perhaps, unjustified. Therefore 3 stars.

Teapigs Everyday Brew 15 tea temples
Teapigs Everyday Brew 15 tea temples
Offered by All Mall Shop

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant everyday tea!, 15 May 2015
Originally, I used to buy this Teapigs as a present for the black-tea lover, and now I have a number of relatives and friends (who live abroad) who demand boxes of this (and other) Teapigs teas every time I travel. This would make, what I would call, a pretty standard cup of black tea (i.e. with no bergamot, mont, orange or any other additions). The tea expands in the bag and you can see that it is not tea dust (like in cheaper teabags). A tea bag of "everyday brew" is not too dark and can be enjoyed without milk, but I very often have it with a hint of milk and sugar.

Teapigs are doing great job with their selection of very good teas at quite competitive price (the money you pay for this box of 50 tea bags is worth paying!). I highly recommend the whole selection of Teapigs.

Everyday Brew (Tea Pigs) 15 Bags
Everyday Brew (Tea Pigs) 15 Bags
Offered by Buy Whole Foods Online

Teapigs Morning Glory Everyday Brew 50 per pack
Teapigs Morning Glory Everyday Brew 50 per pack
Offered by Cooking Marvellous

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant everyday tea!, 15 May 2015

Teapigs Everyday Brew 50 Temples (Pack of 2 - 100 Temples)
Teapigs Everyday Brew 50 Temples (Pack of 2 - 100 Temples)
Offered by Superfooduk

Teapigs Everyday Brew English Break 15s
Teapigs Everyday Brew English Break 15s

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant everyday tea!, 15 May 2015

Teapigs Everyday Brew 165 g (Pack of 1, Total 50 Tea Bags)
Teapigs Everyday Brew 165 g (Pack of 1, Total 50 Tea Bags)

The Duke of Burgundy DVD
The Duke of Burgundy DVD
Dvd ~ Sidse Babett Knudsen

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully made special interest film., 15 May 2015
This review is from: The Duke of Burgundy DVD (DVD)
There are some beautiful moments and stunning cinematography in this film and the main cast are simply superb in their roles. The chemistry, the soundtrack (even the recording of the butterflies, which the heroines listen for pleasure), the images - it is all gorgeous. Despite the slow pace of "The Duke of Burgundy" I was intrigued and the first 30 minutes or so flew by. And then it all slowly dissipated.

And yet, I watched it and I will not be bashing about it at the parties. It's a very peculiar study about fetishism, bondage, and love of lingerie, and also about love and relationships. It's not at all similar to the Fifty Shades of Grey: The Unseen Edition [DVD] [2015] and not like any love story you've ever seen. I am sure if you found yourself on this page - you knew what you were looking after, but it you stumbled upon this film by chance (which happened to me) - beware, it's a peculiar and interesting - yes. But enjoyable? Not for me.

Frog Music
Frog Music
by Emma Donoghue

3.0 out of 5 stars Peculiar murder mystery - you've been warned!, 15 May 2015
This review is from: Frog Music (Paperback)
"Frog Music" is an attempt at historical fiction and true crime with a somewhat complicated plot sprinkled with French words (mostly rude) and songs about drinking and debauchery. The main story line covers a period of about a month and centres on the French dancer/prostitute/ex-circus artist Blanche (who is a bit annoying and not very smart) and her life in San Francisco. Life is tough, the weather is smouldering, there is a small pox epidemic going on and a lot of illegal activity takes place. Throughout the book I felt disgusted, abashed, annoyed, confused (when writing started to jump from present to future and back and especially when the gap between present and future started to grow shorter and shorter) and a bit bored (about 100 pages to the end). But I never felt like I wanted to abandon the book.

Peculiar, unusual, well-researched, perhaps a bit slow-moving and occasionally rude and disgusting (and the song lyrics did not add anything for me)... And very different to Room. You've been warn.

But I liked it (not enough for 4 full stars, though).

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20