Profile for Lola > Reviews

All the Rage
All the Rage
Price: 6.02

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the best collection of short stories., 27 Aug 2014
This review is from: All the Rage (Kindle Edition)
I read a piece of advice in one of the reviews - you almost have to go back and re-read the stories one you finish each and every one of them and have an insight as to what is really happening in the narrative. I simply did not have will/power/desire/any interest to re-read the stories. Some of them (2, to be frank) I liked and enjoyed, the rest are depressing, self-indulgent and lacking any "rage", instead there is an abundance of monotonous and repetitive inner dialogues, depressive observation and no redeeming final at the last page. You are never really told what the story is about (and yet the author is speaking to you - i.e. using the second person narration), you are given a number of clues and then bam!, the ending is revealing and yet there is no real satisfaction.

I love short stories, I almost prefer them to the multi-page novels. But A.L. Kennedy's creations left me untouched.

Robot & Frank [DVD]
Robot & Frank [DVD]
Dvd ~ Frank Langella
Offered by MediaMine
Price: 3.89

4.0 out of 5 stars A heart-warming novella., 27 Aug 2014
This review is from: Robot & Frank [DVD] (DVD)
I liked this film! “Robot and Frank” made for one good viewing. There is no killer punch, but it is such a heart-warming, humane, poignant tale of unlikely companionship between man and machine. If you want a simple but entertaining story, an antidote to crashing and loud dystopian tales of near-future, give this short film a go. It’s enjoyable, well-written and very-well acted (at least by the two main characters!).

Boyhood [Blu-ray]
Boyhood [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Patricia Arquette
Price: 15.50

3.0 out of 5 stars A stylish and bold experiment that lacks any real drama., 27 Aug 2014
This review is from: Boyhood [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
First, the interesting, the intriguing, the positive. Twelve years of filming same cast was an ingenious idea. It's remarkable and often surprising to watch the children grow and their characters develop. The adult are getting old as well, of course, reminding us how fickle life really is. Both children and adults age gracefully.

I agree, the film is a masterpiece, it's something unique and quite enjoyable (and deserves an extra star for the ambition of the project!).

And yet, for about three hours nothing really happens. Every 15 minutes or so the characters age, and the scenes depicting the life of the dysfunctional (but likable) family are picked up at random. We, the audience, become close the characters, we know them and we root for them, we become part of the family - yet, the story is deficient. There is no real story, there is just life.

Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage
Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage
Price: 6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A mystery., 27 Aug 2014
I love Haruki Murakami, I love the way he writes, he usage of words, his rich imagination. When I read his books I am always charmed off my feet with the inhabitants of the worlds he creates. I enjoy their company, I relate to them easily, I am sad when our ways part. Same happened here. I immediately liked the [colorless] Tsukuru and his friends, his growing pains and imaginary erotic adventures.

Once I reached about 95% of the book, I realized that sooo many things that I were keeping in mind, waiting for the metaphorical gun to shoot, would not come to anything. Yes, the many interesting and exciting events in the book (i.e. the sixth fingers, the man who accepted death from another person, the dream-like night scene and subsequent disappearances - to name a few) are mentioned, dwelled upon, considered - and then Murakami just moves on, never to pull the curtain up, never to explain, never to satisfy my (and, I am sure, yours) curiosity.

Did he - did he not? I am talking about Tsukuru and the even that took place when he was twenty. Personally, I think he did not. But my best friend thinks he definitely did, and it all got muddled up, metaphysically and in Murakami's imagination.

There is a mystery, still. Which will never be revealed.

RITUALS It's a Wrap Frizzy Hair Conditioner 200 ml
RITUALS It's a Wrap Frizzy Hair Conditioner 200 ml
Price: 9.50

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best straightening hair product., 27 Aug 2014
I used far better (and less expensive) straightening conditioners. This Rituals product feels diluted and I seeps through your fingers. I feel I need to use quite a lot of it with my shoulder-length hair. The smell is pleasant but very faint. I doubt I will re-purchase it.

The Fault in Our Stars [DVD]
The Fault in Our Stars [DVD]
Dvd ~ Shailene Woodley
Price: 10.00

3.0 out of 5 stars A cynic in me., 27 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Fault in Our Stars [DVD] (DVD)
When I started watching "The Fault In Our Stars" I was sure I will end all in tears giving it 6 out of 5 stars - I liked the book, I cried when I read it!

The film (curated by John Green himself) has Hazel (owner of the most adorable husky voice Shailene Woodley - great presence on screen) and Augustus (goofy Ansel Elgort) falling in love with each other head over heals. From the minute the tongue-in-cheek (both of them) pair meets up in cancer support group, they just click. I am sure the vast majority of the film-viewers are familiar with "The Fault in Our Stars" book and the whole obsession about the novel about a child with cancer, which bring the couple from rural America to Amsterdam on one hell of a romantic trip to meet the reclusive author (played by Willem Dafoe - think Haymitch - same alcohol dependency, same wisdom). Alas, the love story is short-lived. And it's bittersweet, and tragic, and inspirational, and redeeming - for some. But for the others (and I am looking at you, cynics), it's Hollywood-crafted mush with an eye on the grossing money.

You know what, the book did not leave me feeling short-changed. But the film did. For another (and better, in my opinion) heartbreaking love story check Now Is Good (DVD + UV Copy) [2013].

Timberland Boys Casco Bay H&L Oxford Loafers C43X7R Navy 6 UK, 39.5 EU
Timberland Boys Casco Bay H&L Oxford Loafers C43X7R Navy 6 UK, 39.5 EU
Price: 21.26

4.0 out of 5 stars A bargain!, 25 Aug 2014
Not the prettiest shoes I've ever bought, but very practical and simply ideal for a casual look (of a 10 year old). Great value for the Timberland quality. The shoes are light and the suede is very soft. The blue colour is dark navy blue and the white rubber sole is non-slippery and won't stain the flooring.

Where There's Smoke
Where There's Smoke
Price: 0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Very cleverly done teaser of a new book., 25 Aug 2014
Very cleverly done teaser of a new book, “Serenity” – a short story that grabbed me from the first [digital] page and ignited my interest. I will definitely read the new book by Jodi Picoult, who manages to introduce a number (or just one) of characters of her forthcoming novel in this tiny mystery, which I managed to finish within half an hour. Short, eloquent and entertaining – ideal for a short commute!

RITUALS Cool Kami Strengthening Shampoo 250 ml
RITUALS Cool Kami Strengthening Shampoo 250 ml
Price: 6.65

3.0 out of 5 stars Not impressed., 18 Aug 2014
First things first: this is a product for MEN. I made a mistake and used it on holiday for a couple of day and although it smells pleasantly minty it leaves hair coarse and dry and requires absolutely use of conditioner. The gentleman who used the dragon shampoo while on holidays with me said it was a good product and he liked the smell, but he also commented that the hair was left very dry and almost parched and the use of conditioner or balsam was required.

Strange Weather in Tokyo
Strange Weather in Tokyo
Price: 1.19

5.0 out of 5 stars It's like a flutter of butterfly wings., 14 Aug 2014
I was not sure what to expect from "Strange Weather in Tokyo", but I am so glad I picked up this book! It's very delicate, enveloping, transfixing, gorgeous and a bit strange, but ultimately it's a simple [and simply told] love story of two very likable characters. And it's full of all things Japanese (God, the descriptions of foods got me salivating every time Tsukiko, the female heroine, decided to accompany her beer and/or sake drinking with gorgeous freshly prepared seasonal food!). In the end I found it all very poignant, charming and sad. Maybe you will see the end of a love story between Tsukiko and her "Sensei" (i.e. teacher) coming, maybe you won't. In any case, I found the books rewarding and did not want it to end. But then it has it's own beauty in the fact that it's so short. It's delicate and melancholy (but never sad or miserable!) atmospheric writing within the minimal number of pages. It's like a flutter of butterfly wings.

If you would like a quick fix of all things Japanese (or simply a love story) - this is the book for you.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20