Profile for Lola > Reviews

Far From The Madding Crowd [DVD]
Far From The Madding Crowd [DVD]
Dvd ~ Carey Mulligan

4.0 out of 5 stars An engaging and emotional tale - recommended!, 29 July 2015
I’ve never seen the original film and have not read the book (now, when I thoroughly enjoyed the film, I am looking forward to reading it!), I approached "Far from the madding crown" with an open mind. Even though the film is quite straightforward (indeed it was described on a movie poster as “a film about a pretty young woman is in relationship with three different men”) and we are kind of pushed from the very beginning towards the understatedly handsome Matthias Schoenaerts, I was not so sure about the end (knowing Thomas Hardy!). The film is beautifully made, the performances are all good, but, all the love that runs between the leads felt a bit staged. This lack of chemistry resulted in a stunning yet somewhat passionless version of the story. Nevertheless I enjoyed two hours spent in the company of this beautiful and intelligent adaptation of classic novel. Recommended (and not just as a quick fix of "Downton Abbey" fans between seasons!)!

Gonex Ultra Lightweight Packable Backpack Hiking Daypack for Men and Women/ Handy Foldable Camping Outdoor Travel Cycling School Air Travelling Carry on Backpacking + Ultralight and Handy - 6.5 OZ Only + 8 Color Choices
Offered by Donner-UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for short hikes or as a gym bag., 27 July 2015
We went for a 7-hours hike using this backpack yesterday. It is super light (and can be folded into a tiny purse - into itself) and yet quite roomy. I am not sure if you can pack a lot of heavy stuff into it, but a 1.5l bottle of water, sunscreen, phone, sunglasses, wallet, hat, jumper or two easily fit it. This bag is made of nylon and in China, not sure how long the water-resistance will last, and I would not put kilos and kilos of stuff into the bag (which does not look too durable to me and straps to balance the load are missing, which results in the bag taking a shape of things inside, sometimes unevenly distributing the weight), but for a day hike in dry weather – it was perfect.

I was provided this bag for a free review, I will definitely continue using it.

The Girl in the Red Coat
The Girl in the Red Coat

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a book I would read again and/or recommend. Beware - spoilers..., 27 July 2015
Such a disappointment. It all started so well: the mysterious red cover, the kidnapping of a precocious if slightly strange girl, short chapters of somewhat gripping narrative... And then it all disintegrated. Healing power, uneventful search for the child, the torments of a mother, absence of any clues (I counted two clues, which were not picked up and crumbled into narrative, never to be found again). The two voices of the novel were distinct at first, but then I just could not believe the musings of an eight year old child, who quickly started to sound just like her mother (the voices merged into one).

SPOILER ALERT! The whole premise of abduction and living in the US, the mystery of Mercy, what was that healing power (and why it did not work on some people, and what was the black aura of the others)?
ANOTHER SPOILER ALERT!! And finally, how come the book ended, literally, within a couple of pages. Ah, they were able to locate the kidnapped girl, a few years post her abduction, she is coming home. Happy families (well, almost). The end.

This is not really a thriller, or a mystery, or a detective story, or a psychological portrait of a child-miracle. This is nothing like Room. And whilst the book is fast paced and engaging, it left me very unsatisfied. To the point of annoyance. Socks firmly on.

The Nun (Oxford World's Classics)
The Nun (Oxford World's Classics)
by Denis Diderot

3.0 out of 5 stars A peculiar read., 27 July 2015
I was lost pretty much throughout the whole book trying to figure out if "The Nun" was all farce or horrible yet truthful depiction of the organised religion. I did a bit of research and some resources claim that this book was meant as a joke, while the others say this is a serious tome depicting catholic France in the XVIII century. Approach with caution: there are scenes of violence and pretty weird show of lesbian love and generally debauchery happening behind the closed doors of convents. Didro himself was "a heretic", whose sister died in a French Catholic church from overwork. Go figure... Despite quite a difficult subject matter, the book is easy to read… I enjoyed it. I don’t know if you would, too…

Suite Francaise [DVD] [2015]
Suite Francaise [DVD] [2015]
Dvd ~ Kristin Scott-Thomas

4.0 out of 5 stars Stirring and poignant., 27 July 2015
This review is from: Suite Francaise [DVD] [2015] (DVD)
"Suite Francaise" is based on the best-selling book by Irene Nemirovsky (how did I miss that book? Ordering right now!) and takes place during the German occupation of France in the Second World War. It’s a quiet but powerful story of Lucille Angellier as she, together with her hard-shelled and bossy mother-in-law, gorgeous Kristin Scott Thomas, waits for news from her husband, a French soldier now prisoner of war. A number of German soldiers take up residence in the villagers' homes and quiet country life is turned upside down. Here comes striking German officer Bruno, composer turned killer. From that point on, it is pretty obvious what is going to happen. But what could have been overused and familiar love story, here turns into a powerful film of love and the tragedy of war, thanks to simple storytelling and a great cast. Wartime romances are almost always doomed and it’s hard to offer anything new and original to the viewer. But until the very last moment of the film I was rooting for both Lucille and Bruno. Perfect cast, great acting, a lot of tension - “Suite Francaise” is a film which is definitely worth-watching.

Terminator Genisys (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray) [2015]
Terminator Genisys (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray) [2015]
Dvd ~ Arnold Schwarzenegger

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fun!, 23 July 2015
I am a huge, huge fan of the first two "Terminators" (you don't even know) and I was excited to see this new fifth instalment in the saga. So excited that I was prepared to overlook the "re-written history" of the two classic films and the fact that if you have a time machine at one point, you could be using it again and again, who stops you to travel numerous times to numerous moments of the past attempting to re-write history?.. Okay now, sorry for the rambling. What I wanted to say is... The films is GOOD! It did not make me cringe (like the third instalment) and it did not make me instantly forget (self-induced amnesia) what I’d just seen like it happened with "Salvation". Jesus, that was bad. ANYWAY. "Terminator Genisys" tells good story, has great pace, plausible script, and it has Arnold in top form… The one disappointment is Jai Courtney, who is wooden and unfamiliar and the chemistry between him and Emilia Clarke is simply non-existent. She did a great job portraying young Sarah Connor! Great fun!.. That does not mean that I am not looking forward to the return of the Terminator franchise into the hands of James Cameron. Bring it on.

Karrimor Bodmin IV Weathertite, Men's Trekking and Hiking Shoes, Navy, 6 UK
Karrimor Bodmin IV Weathertite, Men's Trekking and Hiking Shoes, Navy, 6 UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy hiking!, 22 July 2015
Great hiking shoes. Sturdy but comfortable. For such price - a real bargain!

Love Anthony
Love Anthony

3.0 out of 5 stars Scientist vs. Novelist?, 21 July 2015
This review is from: Love Anthony (Kindle Edition)
I picked yet another book by Lisa Genova because she wrote wonderful and heart-breaking Still Alice. "Love, Anthony" also attempts to show us a person, a family, a woman in the middle of a tragedy of life that is overshadowed by a child with autism. And no matter how many times Ms Genova tries to glorify the autistic child Anthony, it just could not make me feel content and happy for his life, moreover the life of his parents and their struggle. I thought the book did not reveal the insights of living with a child with autism, it almost "spread itself too thinly" between other subjects (other families, cheating husbands, therapy sessions, book clubs etc.). Was it a book about Anthony or was it a book about struggling author whose husband cheats on her? The development of two main stories took forever. Only at the 34th per cent of the book (I was reading on Kindle) we see how two main storylines could finally join together.

The story touches on themes of love, nostalgia for times past, infidelity, loss, and the search to find answers to important life questions. And yet, after I finished the book I was not convinced. Although after researching about "Love, Anthony" I was surprised to discover an abundance of positive feedback from people who have children with autism or came in close contact with such children. From their feedback I learnt that the book is a spot on and an amazing (although fictional) depiction of a voice of an autistic child (who, in the very few chapters devoting to him, speaks like a smart kid, not an autistic 9-10 year old). It is all fictional, of course, as this genetic disorder is, unfortunately, still being researched and studied without any hugely promising results. As of 2013, autism was estimated to affect 21.7 million people worldwide, and yet I knew so very little about it before reading "Love, Anthony". For the huge "awareness" exercise (same as she did with Early Onset Alzheimer's disease) I am grateful to Lisa Genova. But Anthony did not "speak" to me.

Fiskars Manicure Curved Scissors, 10cm
Fiskars Manicure Curved Scissors, 10cm

4.0 out of 5 stars Not very thin but work just fine., 21 July 2015
These Fiskars are not as thin as I wanted, but they do the job just fine. I think due to the fact that they are not very thin (but quite sharp) they are much safer to use.
I love Fiskars products and will continue to buy scissors from them. These are my third (after big household and sewing scissors - which I recommend!).

Timberland Boys Splashtown Closed Toe Fashion Sandals C7897R Brown/Tan  6.5 UK, 40 EU
Timberland Boys Splashtown Closed Toe Fashion Sandals C7897R Brown/Tan 6.5 UK, 40 EU

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sandals from Timberland., 21 July 2015
Just what I wanted for this summer season - another great quality sandals from Timberland. The toes are almost covered which makes these shoes a bit more formal than the opened-toes ones. Comfy and light and such an easy choice for summer!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20