Profile for Lola > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Filofax Personal Four Year Planner Vertical 2015-2018
Filofax Personal Four Year Planner Vertical 2015-2018
Offered by LBM The Art & Stationery Store

5.0 out of 5 stars A great invention for people who love to plan way ahead., 26 Nov 2014
Really a MUST for your Filofax if you are obsessed on planning. Once I found that there is such a brilliant product, I ordered it immediately. What it does it literally spreads out as a long horizontal stripe and you are able to glance over your next three years. It's not bulky, but it's very practical and helpful. No more trying to figure out what is happening when and leafing through your diary - a great invention!

Measures about 10cm x 18cm (for your PERSONAL Filofax).

Inateck Compact Kindle Paperwhite Cover Microfibril PU Leather Protection Cover Case Sleeve - Magnetic Auto Sleep Wake Function for New 2014 2013 2012 Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 6" 3G / Wi-Fi + 3G - Simple & Lightweight - Black (will only fit Amazon Kindle Paperwhite)

5.0 out of 5 stars Better protection, less bulk!, 26 Nov 2014
Same features as your Kindle Paperwhite official cover, but way cheaper (note: this is not real leather). Sits snuggly on Kindle, protects, looks cool and is actually slimmer than official cover, so your Kindle can now fit almost anywhere.

This is my third Inateck product. So far – so good!

Leaving Time
Leaving Time
by Jodi Picoult

3.0 out of 5 stars Not necessarily predictable, but utilises an old trick., 26 Nov 2014
This review is from: Leaving Time (Hardcover)
I usually enjoy Jodi Picoult's books (I thought Lone Wolf was a brilliant study on relationships and I enjoyed learning all the facts about wolves). "Leaving Time" was not very different when it comes to narrative structure, although chapters about elephants were a bit encyclopaedic-esque... But still enjoyable - full of fascinating facts about elephants (and what magnificent animals they are!).

Although I did enjoy the book, it took me a while to finish it. Moreover, I enjoyed chapters about animals and their behaviour much more than the rest of the book (Jenna's search for her mum, failed psychic, failed PC). I read an extract from the book - the clever ad available for free, introducing us to the characters (Where There's Smoke), and I was expecting a slightly different story from what I got. In the end, when there was the "revelation", it all felt a bit tiring. Jodi recycled an overused trick - I've seen it all (and I am sure you did, too).

Another point (picked up by other reviewers): how is it that Jenna describes everything that she and everyone else said/did when she was only a tiny toddler when the centre events took place. Really? I don't think your average 3-year old would remember anything. But then... Okay, let me shut up before I spoil the story for you! And then suddenly the title will make sense.

Inateck 15.4 Inch Macbook Pro Retina Sleeve Case Ultrabook Netbook Bag Cover Carrying Protector Envelope Case [Size: 39 cm x 28 cm, Color: Grey]

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 25 Nov 2014
I was a bit apprehensive before I received this case - but it simply exceeding all my expectations! Everything is so good - from the environmentally friendly felt and fake suede to the to the rubber band around the case to keep your laptop safe inside. It looks really cool (think Scandinavian chic) and feels good. And, most importantly, the 15.4 Macbook Pro fits perfectly! And the amazon.co.uk price is unbeatable!

I won't be surprised if these cases will be stocked in the apple stores soon!

P.S. I was sent one like this for a free review by Inateck and I loved it sooo much I bought this one myself!

Star Wars Classic Ultimate Sticker Book (Ultimate Stickers)
Star Wars Classic Ultimate Sticker Book (Ultimate Stickers)
by Rebecca Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars At £3.99 - a great stocking filler, with nice glossy cover!, 24 Nov 2014
I am a bit disappointed with this sticker book - it could have been much better (more colourful, more versatile, vibrant and with the better quality of actual stickers - i.e. old photographs of the Star Wars stickers. These look faded out and brownish, and there are only 64 stickers in a book!

Also, I never understood why would you remove a sticker from one page just to apply it to the other - better be used for different crafts/school projects/greeting cards, and the empty pages for sticking the stickers could be used for more designs!

Loom Bandz - Rainbow Colours - Turquoise 600 Count
Loom Bandz - Rainbow Colours - Turquoise 600 Count
Offered by Total-Gift

5.0 out of 5 stars Vibrant light blue colour!, 24 Nov 2014
These are just what I wanted - not turquoise, but not the synthetic looking acid blue (the colour is slightly different to what you see in the picture). Loads in the bag together with some S-tags. The bands are of better quality than some which arrive from China and could not be really utilised without ripping. Arrived quickly and well-packaged.

Inateck 11-11.6 Inch Netbook / Laptop / Notebook / Ultrabook / Apple 11" MacBook Air Sleeve Case Bag Cover [33*21cm, Grey Felt]

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 20 Nov 2014
I was a bit apprehensive before I received this case - but it simply exceeding all my expectations! Everything is so good - from the environmentally friendly felt and fake suede to the to the microfiber cleaning cloth, that was thrown in for free. It looks really cool (think Scandinavian chic) and feels good. And, most importantly, the 2012 MacBook Air fits perfectly! And the amazon.co.uk price is unbeatable!

I won't be surprised if these cases will be stocked in the apple stores soon!

Under The Skin
Under The Skin

2.0 out of 5 stars Approach with caution., 18 Nov 2014
This review is from: Under The Skin (Kindle Edition)
I wonder what "twists" and "unpredictable shocking end" do other reviewers talk about? Seriously, what? The major twist at the end for me was that the publishes included about 15% of the promotion material at the end of "Under the Skin" the book, so just when I thought things started to get more or less interesting, the book ended. Abruptly and with a blast.

I saw the film. I read people unhappily commenting how boring/bad/wasted the film was compared to the book. I bought a book. (I also purchased a paperback at some point and I remember the sales assistant at Waterstone's praising it and saying how it was one of the scariest books he read and how he could not sleep at night. Yeah...)

Anyway. The book slightly reminded me of Orwell's "Animal Farm". Yes, it's an unusual novel about aliens, but it's not the first book centered on harvesting one species by the others. I think men might feel slightly more uncomfortable whilst reading it because it's their own which a being harvested. For me, the whole experience was dull, repetitive, perhaps a little intriguing, de-thrilling, overwritten at times. It's the book you either love or drop. I did not drop it, I finished it. And it's far better than the film, but a very acquired taste (and no, it did not make me swear off meat).

St. Vincent [DVD]
St. Vincent [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bill Murray

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but easily forgettable., 18 Nov 2014
This review is from: St. Vincent [DVD] (DVD)
"St. Vincent" is a light, predictable comedy, with Bill Murray cast as a maverick to attract us, the viewers, to the cinema. At the end of the film we get a 5-minutes footage of Bill Murray being, essentially, just Bill Murray, on screen, doing nothing.

St. Vincent the man is an unlikely grumpy babysitter to a precocious young. Improbable friendship buds. Vincent teaches the boy how to stand for oneself, introducers him to gambling, bars and a "lady of the night". There is some half-baked court drama and a number of young teens throwing some punches. And then it all ends quite well for everybody. Unexplainably so (e.g. throughout the film Vincent struggles for money, and yet his wallet is always full of cash).

Melissa McCarthy delivers very believable and strong performance as a single mum trying to make it on her own. She is the highlight of this basic but enjoyable film. The whole cast did a good job (except what's with Naomi Watts playing the said lady of the night, Russian, with a thick unbelievable accent?..).

The Tiger Who Came to Tea Book and Cup Gift Set
The Tiger Who Came to Tea Book and Cup Gift Set
by Judith Kerr

3.0 out of 5 stars Unimpressed., 18 Nov 2014
RRP of this book is £12.99, which I consider waaaaay to much for a simple (not even a hard-copy), less than A5 size copy of the classic children’s story + plastic cup (tiny, made in China).

Amazon pricing in this instance (more than 60% off) is pretty fair, but if you want a lasting present – I would recommend a hard-cover of “The Tiger Who Came to Tea”.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20