Profile for Lola > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 582

Lola (London)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Aloha Blu-Ray (Region A/1)
Aloha Blu-Ray (Region A/1)
Dvd ~ Bradley Cooper

2.0 out of 5 stars Just awful!, 31 Aug. 2015
The DVD cover boasts „Brilliant cast“ and that’s true. I was looking forward to seeing such great actors all-together is a light comedy. Boy, the movie is a disaster! Seriously, who, but who gave green light to such a production – the plot is a mess, the dialogues are painfully mismatched, the love story is so predictable it pains you to see it acted out. Even Hawaii, the set of the film, are overlooked…

“Aloha” is such a messy weird pile of love triangle (if not a love-square), devotion to its own land, astronomy and Polynesian legends. I love Bradley Cooper and Emma Stone, by boy this film is a disaster. Perhaps don’t even rent.

San Andreas [Blu-ray] [2015] [Region Free]
San Andreas [Blu-ray] [2015] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Dwayne Johnson

4.0 out of 5 stars Another disaster movie - not a bad on! (Review contains a minor spoiler.), 31 Aug. 2015
If you are checking "San Andreas" out you must know this is yet another disaster movie, so do not expect Oscar-worthy performances and amazing storyline. We've seen it all before, of course. A scientist who predicts a disaster (albeit, a bit late), a lot of seismic activity, accompanied by nicely executed special effects, great pace (which slows down a bit towards the end). All in all, great fun.

And, HUGE SPOILER ALERT, nobody dies in the end (except for a pseudo-baddie).

Not the best disaster movie I’ve seen, but it keeped me on the edge of my seat for most of the time. The opening scenes are quite "thrilling"!

Arc'teryx Women's Moisture Resistant Jacket
Arc'teryx Women's Moisture Resistant Jacket
Price: £52.86 - £179.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great jacket for sports and leisure!, 28 Aug. 2015
I love this jacket, it is light weight and feels like you are not wearing a jacket at all. I was torn between this and the dawn jacket (which was considerably more expensive), but the sales assistant advised that if I am not boarding in arctic temperatures and/or very high up, this should be more than enough. I wanted a jacket with a more feminine style – this one is slim fit (not super slim fit, does not hug your figure tightly, but creates a nice silhouette), light-weight and breathable (the side panels are a fantastic invention).

Size is true, so if you want a jacket to layer a think jumper under – get a bigger size! No unnecessary Velcro straps. Just a great addition to your active-life wardrobe (plus suitable, of course, for leisurely strolls and casual travel).

Arc'teryx Women's Delta LT Zip
Arc'teryx Women's Delta LT Zip
Offered by LD Mountain Centre

5.0 out of 5 stars Second one!, 26 Aug. 2015
I am already a happy owner of the same top in lime green colour - the quality, the feel, the fit of this top is great! I use it for hikes as well as a layer during winter sports. It is not very spacious - slim fit design, so if you want something less snuggly, order one size up. Sometimes this is my "first layer", worn on top of sports bra - that is how comfortable this top is.

Arc'teryx Delta LT Zip Women's
Arc'teryx Delta LT Zip Women's
Offered by LD Mountain Centre

5.0 out of 5 stars Second one!, 26 Aug. 2015

Faberge and the Russian Master Goldsmiths
Faberge and the Russian Master Goldsmiths
by Gerard Hill

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing tome of all things Fabergé., 21 Aug. 2015
If you found yourself on this page and are wondering whether this book is worth purchasing – do not doubt! This “Fabergé and the Russian Master Goldsmiths” book is beautiful, full of illustrations AND text (it is not simply a photo album, like many of the table books are). The photographs are superb. I bought it for myself after I visited the Fabergé museum in Saint Petersburg and am very happy with the book! It has a lot of information, has many photographs, is quite heavy and presentable. An ideal coffee book! And the price... Seriously, grab it!

NW
NW
by Zadie Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars Escaping the past - or a work of style over substance., 21 Aug. 2015
This review is from: NW (Paperback)
Ah darling Zadie Smith (many many years ago I so enjoyed her On Beauty), this time, missing London, I picked up her controversial "NW" (i.e. North West, as in the first letters of London postcode area). We have four people whose lives are, you sense it, interlinked with each other. Although how is not sometimes that obvious. They are all different (or are they?) but coming from the unfortunate NW (not the most sought after postcode address, as I understood from the book), they have this rough background in common - and then it is up to them what to do with their lives.

The novel is structured in 5 parts, some of them feel like a novella which feels out of place in the main body of the novel, some feel like a manual to life (with numbers boxes one ticks whilst living). One character takes up much more "space" than the others, alas, this character is a walking cliché. Individuality and identity, race, class, work, family, love, drugs, death, guilt, redemption - these topics interest Smith, but her interest in each topic and character is asymmetrical, and it makes the book uneven. Whilst many people complained that "NW" was an exercise in style over substance, I found it still quite engaging and easy to read (perhaps to no follow, at times).

Once I finished reading I felt a bit disappointed - as if I'd missed something that I was not more attentive to notice. Ah, the frustration! Although I contemplated (for a few minutes) re-reading the book paying attention (yes, really!), I decided not to. There you go.

Bottom line: if you are looking for a book about London - this is not the one. If you are looking for a moving love story/drama/character study - this is not for you. If you are looking for an exercise in style, a talented author moving on and "spreading her wings" - perhaps check "NW" out.

The Well
The Well

2.0 out of 5 stars Suffocating, slow going, pretentious - I am surprised how much I disliked this book!, 20 Aug. 2015
This review is from: The Well (Kindle Edition)
One of the most awful experiences in literature in 2015 for me... When I get a new book, I always read the first couple of pages to see if it grabs me straight away, to get a feel of the book. By the time I finished the first pages here I was already thinking what could I be reading next... The book did not grab me or interest me AT ALL. I left it for a few weeks, only to keep seeing it on the front page of my kindle. So okay, I went for it.

Boy, these 400 pages were excruciatingly slow going, pretentious, pseudo-intelligent... What is it, a murder mystery, an attempt at sci-fi, a thriller, a study on a cult? What is it? "The Well" tries to be all of the above and fails. Fails miserably, slow-burning a whole in my soul! Investigation, murder mystery - I wish! There are so many interesting ideas which might have been gripping and exciting if only they were administered differently, deeply... Ah, the depth! I felt NONE of the characters were deep enough. They felt pretty one-dimensional, with the exception, perhaps, of our unreliable narrator Ruth (t-ruth - see the clever ploy of Catherine Chanter? I hope it was her smart idea and not just a coincidence). Ruth's personal crisis did not move me. The whole premise of the book, the draught, was pretty unbelievable and not "done" very well; I kept forgetting that the country was suffering and "The Well" was just that magical place where rain happened...

The female cult, the murder, the mystical "rose". The difficulties and accusations of Ruth's husband. Was he, wasn't he? What really happened? Why? What about "the voice"? And what is the point?

In the end, with a lot of writing which seemed just delaying the outcome, we are finally given the key to the mystery. Well, okay. I am sorry, but by then I was not thrilled, relieved or moved. I was just happy the book was about to end.

I am surprised how well marketed the book is - and that it was published, I believe, across Europe simultaneously with the UK release. Why? Ah you know what, I should have known what I am getting myself into - Jessie Burton (author of The Miniaturist) praises "The Well" on its cover. It should have been a giant red flag for me! Like "The Miniaturist", I am sure they will be people (and indeed there are) who would LOVE this book. I guess it's one of those that you have to read to form an opinion. Unfortunately, it was not for me.

Clouds of Sils Maria Blu-ray
Clouds of Sils Maria Blu-ray
Dvd ~ Juliette Binoche

4.0 out of 5 stars Intelligent - and enjoyable!, 20 Aug. 2015
I agree with my fellow reviewer Gerard P. – "Clouds of Sils Maria" is the more extraordinary the more you just watch and enjoy it – forget overanalysing this, supposedly, independent cinema. It has amazing pace, not unlike the clouds of the said Sils Maria, they more slowly, and yet fasten than your average clouds, through the beautiful valley. The cinematography of the film is amazing, I really enjoyed watching grandiose Swiss landscapes playing part of the film.

The film travels through (not unlike the said mountains, again) the psychology of women and female interactions with wisdom and cleverness, the journey through relationships between the leads is intriguing to watch. And the performances, of course, are outstanding - Juliette Binoche is magnificent (and what did you expect), and, as many critics mentioned, Kristen Stewart was vulnerable and yet so strong compared to Binoche’s character. Really, their interactions are a delight to watch!

Age, identity, celebrity culture, beautiful views of Switzerland – food for thought!

Dark Places
Dark Places

3.0 out of 5 stars Recommended for lovers of clever thrillers/crime detective investigations - enjoyable and gripping!, 17 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Dark Places (Kindle Edition)
I picked up "Dark Places" thanks to good reviews of my friends, and, from the first pages, the booked gripped me. I finished it within a weekend and was grateful for every moment alone with the book... Even on a Saturday night after coming to bed after an evening out, quite exhausted, I could not stop myself from opening this book - Gillian Flynn has a talent for storytelling! Forget Robert Galbraith aka J.K. Rowling, forget Karen Slaughter (both of whom I found quite often slow-going) - when it comes to intelligent gripping crime thrillers, I find Flynn is like no other!

I thoroughly enjoyed Gone Girl, of course. And "Dark Places" also centres around a young woman, a sole survivor of the massacre in which her two older sisters and mother were brutally murdered by her older brother - or so we are led to believe initially, but for a moment only - who was later charged with murders at the age of 15. (I was slightly reminded of the first season of True Detective - Season 1 [DVD] [2014] with all the devil-worshipping references. The whole book has the same slightly eerie atmosphere.)

This is a very dark novel, full of people you do not want to meet and awful things that they do (there were a couple of pages in the book where I wish I could simply turn away from). And once again, Gillian Flynn tells a story where you could not certainly guess what really happened "that night" until she decides, chapter by chapter, to let you "in the old farmhouse". The only problem - despite the gripping narrative and my initial interest in the book, I was worn out by it and the last 20% of "Dark Places" were where I lost interest, a bit.

I watched "Dark Places" the movie (starring excellent Charlize Theron - the lack of red hair is forgivable). Even though the film reduced the narrative of the book by 50% (and I doubt I would have fully understood what was going on if I hadn't read the book prior to watching it), it also pinpointed all the CLUES that were scattered in the book, which, thanks to Flynn's sharp intelligence, you read and are forced to overlook... but boy there are all there, in the narrative!

Recommended for lovers of clever thrillers/crime detective investigations. Although not the best, still very gripping! Three and a half stars.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20