Profile for Lola > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Wild [DVD]
Wild [DVD]
Dvd ~ Reese Witherspoon

4.0 out of 5 stars Emotional, genuine and occasionally heart-breaking., 30 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Wild [DVD] (DVD)
“Wild” is a film about someone going on a difficult hike – Crest Pacific Trail, which usually takes an experienced hiker about 3 months – it does not necessarily sound too exciting, or a thrilling idea for a film. But the film is surprisingly engaging, yet simple, beautifully performed character study (which at the same is not completely lacking the usual Oscar-bait qualities).

With a great performance from Witherspoon (I cannot remember scenes of anger or devastation done any better than by Reese Witherspoon in “Wild”) and stunning landscapes and nature sequences, this “character study” illustrates perfectly that sometimes, when you think you are running from one-self, you are actually getting closer to self-discovery.

Mr Selfridge - Series 1-3 [DVD] [2015]
Mr Selfridge - Series 1-3 [DVD] [2015]
Dvd ~ Jeremy Piven

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm charmed off my feet by Mr Selfridge!, 30 Mar. 2015
I was not at all sure about Mr Selfridge the series (I mean, what can it be about, I thought, it's like sucking a story out of a thumb!). BUT, by episode three of the first season I was fully converted (you have to live through the longish pilot episode). I was addicted to the story of ostentatious and flamboyant Harry Gordon Selfridge (excellently cast Jeremy Piven), the American brain and power behind the top London department store Selfridge & Co. He is a force of nature, ready to charm you off your feet! First season opens with Mr Selfridge planning to open the store while his business partners pull out, and the season close with Selfridges the store blooming and Selfridges the flashy American in the midst of family troubles. Second season is much darker, it picks up in 1914 as Selfridge & Co. celebrates its fifth anniversary while Europe is on the brink of war. The third season is full of heartbreak – with all the Selfridges children now grown up and trying to find their own way (career or love wise).

There are affairs, there are brilliant outfits, there are bohemian artists and stolen kisses, there is a spirit of a dead wife, a very sexy Frenchy (and quite annoying Italian) and one and only Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Each episode explores different themes but ultimately it's all about love, loss, ambition and the new era - the beginning of the Twentieth Century! The series are beautifully filmed, interiors and exteriors are well researched and some of the fashions are original outfits from the bygone era - this all makes London of the early twentieth century look rich and elegant.

I heard a number of complains about the slight annoyance of Jeremy Piven and/or inability of Mr Selfridge the series to compare with the "Downton Abbey". All I can say - no complaints from me! This is a brilliant, upbeat but thoughtful, somewhat educational (I think so!), good-hearted series. And I cannot wait to watch the third season.

Mr Selfridge - Series 3 [DVD] [2015]
Mr Selfridge - Series 3 [DVD] [2015]
Dvd ~ Jeremy Piven

4.0 out of 5 stars Yet another enjoyable season!, 30 Mar. 2015
Once again, Mr Selfridge (the glorious Jeremy Piven) provides hours of quality entertainment! But boy was season three dark and tragic – there is heartbreak almost everywhere! After the World War I, Harry is single and ready for love (as well as new projects) – but so are his children, who are all grown up. There is a couple of new stories thrown in into all the drama which distract our attention from the Selfridges saga (the Victor Colleano’s nightclub was the one I did not care much about) – but all in all, an enjoyable extravaganza of London in the Twenties of the last century. I heard a number of complains about the slight annoyance of Jeremy Piven and/or inability of Mr Selfridge the series to compare with the "Downton Abbey". All I can say - no complaints from me! This is a brilliant, upbeat but thoughtful, somewhat educational (I think so!), lavish and intelligent and engaging! Cannot wait for Season Four!

FRiEQ Floating Waterproof Cell Phone Carrying Cases for Apple iPhone 6, 5s, 5, Galaxy S5, S4 S3, HTC One, Galaxy Note 3, MP3 Player - IPX8 Certified to 100 Feet (Rainbow)
Offered by T.M. Enterprise

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product for the outdoorsy people!, 29 Mar. 2015
Tested iPhone in the water, took a couple of photos with the iPhone in and outside of water (not the best under the water, as you can imagine), tried to check my mail – it worked. I am not sure why I would want to swim with my iPhone, but the case is a great product if you are going to a music festival (or on a long hike) – you will be sure that your phone is not getting wet and is safely strapped in the bag around your neck. The best thing about this little pouch that you can easily fit in one of the smaller digital cameras and enjoy your day out without thinking about weather conditions. Even though at this point I cannot comment on the longevity of the case, I would definitely recommend this pouch for the outdoorsy people out there and am delighted that I was provided the case by FRiEQ for a review.

Natio New & Improved Botanical Conditioner 210ml
Natio New & Improved Botanical Conditioner 210ml
Offered by Solretail LTD

2.0 out of 5 stars Will not buy again., 29 Mar. 2015
I did not see any improvement in the brittleness of my hair while I was using this Natio conditioner. Yes, I did not have time to leave it for the full 5 minutes (who does?) but I was expecting more from this! It smells wonderful, subtle but very pleasant, but the all good ingredients (form oils to plant extracts) did not do much to my hair. I noticed a great difference when I started to use my usual mask/conditioner for hair – compared to Natio, they left my hair shiny and silky. Natio’c conditioner failed at the job. I like Natio products but with this one – will not buy again.

The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do, and How to Change
The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do, and How to Change
by Charles Duhigg

2.0 out of 5 stars Interesting start, everything else - a mishmash., 26 Mar. 2015
Charles Duhigg is an investigative reporter for the NY Times, and the book would have made an interesting article (and there is one – see below!), but as a tome of 300 hundred pages, it quickly lost its momentum. Yes, it was fascinating to read about how Target (and many other big supermarket chains) approaches its customers and tries to form their habits, but at the same time it was pretty excruciating to read over and over again about the same concept. Duhigg does not pity the trees that were sacrificed to make paper to make painfully clear for his reader what he is on about… And don’t let me start on the diagrams!

After an introduction into the “science” of habits, Duhigg says there isn’t sufficient research to say why some habits prevail and others are unstable. He explains (over and over again) the habit loop (cue-action-reward) but then – why write a book about it? There is not recent breakthrough research and no real insight into how to stop a gambler to gamble and an alcoholic to quit drinking. And how did the song “Hey Ya” end up in the book is beyond me. In fact, many stories in the book seemed to be completely irrelevant to the habit theme (“Hey Ya” and the Civil Rights Movement” are among them).

“The Power of Habit” is mishmash of ideas with quite a compelling start and fizzled out end. A disappointment. Google and enjoy the article – “How Companies Learn Your Secrets” – instead. And oh dear, I of course had to stick to the end of the book - reading appendix, acknowledgements etc. It's a bad habit. Or maybe just an OCD.

The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life & Business
The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life & Business
by Charles Duhigg
Edition: Library Binding

2.0 out of 5 stars Interesting start, everything else - a mishmash!, 26 Mar. 2015

*FLASH SALE* ★Soft Toy Dummy Holder ★ by Uggogg & Inny *Karrie the Koala* - Strong detachable dummy clip - Change dummies to clean. Cute, cuddly, lightweight animal friend for baby boys & girls. Easy for babies, toddlers & infants to hold & find - develop eye & hand skills. Washable. A family of animals to collect. Baby shower gift.
Offered by Astoria Products Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars What a sweetie!, 26 Mar. 2015
What a sweetie! This cuddly toy (approximately 5 x 5 inches when lying flat) is made of plush – there are no buttons or plastic bits that could easily fall off (the only plastic bit being the buttons of the clip inside which the dummy is inserted). Great news – any kind of dummy could be inserted into the toy (not the simple plastic one supplied with the koala). CE approved and washable. I am not sure if the original price of £11.99 would be justified, but the current promotion (£5.99) is a good deal.

I received the Koala as a free gift in exchange for an honest review.

Vitamin C Serum For Face 20% - With Hyaluronic Acid, Ferulic Acid, Rosehip Oil, Seabuckthorn Oil, Plant Stem Cells, Vitamin E & More - Great For Anti-Aging & Anti-Wrinkle Facial Regimen - Helps Diminish Appearance of Fine Lines, Wrinkles, Sun Spots, Age Spots, & Skin Discoloration
Offered by InstaNatural UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Great serum, competitively priced!, 25 Mar. 2015
This InstaNaturals Vitamin C serum was a pleasant surprise. First and foremost - the ingredients! A selection of oils and acids! It comes in a dispenser bottle that means that you only use the amount you require (and you don't require very much). The serum smells wonderfully and goes on really smoothly on the skin. I noticed that some days it absorbs almost momentarily - I guess it's an indication that the skin is in dire need of some moisture.

I did not experience any skin tightness after I apply the serum before my usual moisturiser, I did not experience any break-outs or allergy, and I've been using the Vitamin C serum for a few weeks now.

After a few expensive luxurious brands were shamed about their ingredients, pricing and lack of any real results, I applaud InstaNaturals in delivering such a good product to the market. WITHIN A COUPLE OF WEEKS (!) I noticed my skin became plumper and almost luminous (compared to the dull and great affair I had before - when my cosmetologist commented on the fact that my skin has become dry with the start of colder weather). Plus I love the fact that I am treating my face (and neck) to some organic oils and vitamins. Plus it smells lovely!

NOTE: I was contacted directly and was sent this product for free. I was asked to use it fully and to write an honest, unbiased review. My being given a free item in no way influenced my review of this product - I do not shy away from giving 1-2 star reviews to the items I do not like.

IMAX: The Ultimate Wave Tahiti 3D
IMAX: The Ultimate Wave Tahiti 3D
Offered by New*Star*Media

5.0 out of 5 stars What an amazing documentary! (This Blu-Ray's main language is German.), 24 Mar. 2015
What a wonderful documentary this is. I would recommend it to anybody, young or old, man or woman, boy or girl, not only because I am a huge fan of surfing, but because it's a lovely light documentary on the power of nature and how the waves form and how the moon cycle affects us and nature and ever-powerful water in the ocean creating the most amazing Teahupo'o waves.

I watched this film in cinema in Germany (sadly, it was not released in the cinemas across the UK) and even though the film was dubbed in German I still thoroughly enjoyed it. The scenery is amazingly beautiful and the whole 45-minutes affair with one of the world's greatest nature wonders (Tahiti and surrounding area of other Polynesian islands) leaves you elated and full of positivity.

Even if you don't have 3D-player, I am more than sure that you will enjoy this film on any given day.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20