Profile for Lola > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 588

Lola (London)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
OZ Naturals - The BEST Eye Gel - Eye Cream For Dark Circles Puffiness and Wrinkles - This Eye Gel Treatment Addresses Every Eye Concern - 100% Natural Ingredients - Considered To Be The Most Potent & Effective Eye Gel - Eye Cream Available - ALLURE MAGAZINE'S Best In Beauty Eye Gel - 100% Satisfaction GUARANTEED!
Offered by OZ Naturals EU

4.0 out of 5 stars Another good product from Oz Naturals., 22 Dec 2014
I love natural products, and this "The Best Eye Gel" is made of plenty natural ingredients, it's very light and of fine texture, and can be used all over the face, it glides on easily. Great moisturiser, reduces puffiness and somewhat reduces dark circles around the eyes. I would like to see more anti-ageing work done by my eye cream; unfortunately, this eye gel does not aid smoothing of fine lines and wrinkles and/or does not have any anti-ageing properties that I noted. That's about its only disadvantage.

Jeune & Jolie (Young and Beautiful) [DVD] [2013]
Jeune & Jolie (Young and Beautiful) [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Marine Vacth

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and different., 18 Dec 2014
I loved this film, I loved the beautiful Marine Vacth, the cinematography, the mystery of the film. Francois Ozon directed beautiful and different coming-of-age tale (and did it masterfully!). In "Young and Beautiful", 17 year old Isabelle decides to become a high-class prostitute with strictly "after school" working hours.

Francois Ozon's quiet sexual drama raises more questions than it answers, but sometimes you want to be left wondering... It's just... Beautifully done, engaging, sometimes heartbreaking, mysterious and melancholy.

Oh, it's not for everybody, but if you are in the right mood for a blue, slightly erotic tale of love, youth and self-discovery - you might enjoy it a lot!

The Rosie Effect
The Rosie Effect
by Graeme Simsion

4.0 out of 5 stars Three and a half stars... Not enough magic., 14 Dec 2014
This review is from: The Rosie Effect (Hardcover)
Maybe my expectations were just a tiny bit too high after enjoying The Rosie Project: Don Tillman 1 so much. Maybe there wasn't enough magic left to make a worthy sequel. I am sad I didn't enjoy this as much as I thought I would, as much as I was hoping I would.

Don is Don (perhaps that's the first indication that, with twice as many pages, his uniqueness and description of it might be a bit repetitive). Rosie seems like a thoughtless little Miss Naughty. Very annoying (and I am sorry, maybe it's me). But when Don first fell in love with Rosie, she was quirky and sharp and clever, now all she does is moan (perhaps it's hormones) and is unreasonable. Moreover, the plot is very slow to develop with A LOT OF side plots and stories going on (which are done with half the effort, sometime just to fill in the pages, it seems).

The Guardian review rightly called this sequel "twice as long and only half as good". I think I will buy a third instalment to the Don Tillman's extraordinary life, hoping it won't be a further disappointment.

I am torn between three stars (what the book really is, for me) and four stars (because I still want to award an extra star for Don himself). If you loved "The Rosie Project" approach with caution and lessen your expectations. If you did not love "The Rosie Project", I doubt you will be impressed by the sequel.

August: Osage County [DVD]
August: Osage County [DVD]
Dvd ~ Abigail Breslin

3.0 out of 5 stars Great acting, shame about everything else., 14 Dec 2014
This review is from: August: Osage County [DVD] (DVD)
“August: Osage County” is black, and yet occasionally hilarious story of the women (and how strong some of them are!) of the Weston family, brought together back to the family home by a drama. Yes, the story is moving, yet, the acting is superb, yes, it’s the dysfunctional family at its best. But I just could not bring myself to enjoy the film. It felt too much like a staged play (which it evolved from), it was funny, occasionally very loud, there were many revelations to keep me interested (but not really succeeding), Meryl Streep was rocking it (and so was Julia Roberts!), but I won’t be watching it again (or recommending it). I wish I saw the play instead.

Loom Bandz - Rainbow Colours - Black 600 Count
Loom Bandz - Rainbow Colours - Black 600 Count
Offered by 5 STAR SHOP UK NEXT DAY DELIVERY AVAILABLE

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the blackest black., 10 Dec 2014
A bag of almost perfect loom bands. Greyish-black colour. Perhaps not the darkest black around, but for this price cannot really complain. Speedy delivery.

Northanger Abbey
Northanger Abbey
by Val McDermid

2.0 out of 5 stars Ah, what a disappointment! (And the Abbey in the book did not even match the cover photo!), 10 Dec 2014
This review is from: Northanger Abbey (Paperback)
I loved the cover of the "Northanger Abbey" (and the praise of J.K. Rowling on its cover enticed me further!). But what a disappointment this book was. Wrote for the project where famous (and not so famous) authors come up with "updated" versions of Jane Austen's novels, I cringed all the way through the book, and have nothing but sadness and a feeling of certainty that Regency novels are better left to Ms Austen. What a shame!

The characters are ridiculous. The story unbelievable. The gothic factor terribly mocked with the main character's obsession on vampires and strong belief that her love interest and his family are creatures of death. The most amazing thing - nothing really happens... The last quarter of the books is filled with "scandals" and "drama". What a cringe!

Please save yourself - go read original instead!

The Rosie Project: Don Tillman 1 (Don Tillman series)
The Rosie Project: Don Tillman 1 (Don Tillman series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Prepare to the unexpected love story!, 10 Dec 2014
Delightful, totally delightful, inspiring, humourous, kind-hearted, charming and amusing book. "The Rosie Project" is a unconventional and comical love story, about looking for love, and finding it, and fighting for it.

Once I got into "The Rosie Project" (and it took me a day or two), I just could not put it down! What a charming character Graeme Simsion created! Hooray for Don! Weird and wonderful! The book has its faults (the biased portrayal of aspergers syndrome, the narrative that many people might disagree with), but all in all it's a fun, peculiar and almost "intellectual" love story. Sometimes very funny, some times tear-jerking.

I could not wait to start The Rosie Effect: Don Tillman 2 the minute I finished "The Rosie Project". Recommended!

Jaw-Dropping Geography: Fun Learning Facts About INTERESTING ICELAND: Illustrated Fun Learning For Kids

5.0 out of 5 stars Learning made fun (and simple!)., 10 Dec 2014
I was provided a pdf version of the book for the review purposes, and after reading it within the next ten minutes (it’s about 30 pages long, full of colourful photographs and curious and interesting facts about Iceland) I wrote an email to the person who provided me with the book saying that I LOVED IT! I did. Yes, it’s for the kids, so do not expect socio-economic fact sheet and precise statistics. This book is a small wonder – it will definitely place Iceland on the map for modern kids and I guarantee they will share a number of Iceland facts with you! Learning made simple! Result!

People mentions that the books is quite expensive… Please. I’ve seen soooo many books hugely overpriced with little to no education value just because they were “children’s books” and had some illustrations in. This one is truly educational.

One minor point: temperature is described in Fahrenheit without actual reference to Fahrenheit (clearly marketed to the USA reader). May make children wonder how hot it actually gets in Iceland.

Cra-Z-Loom Bracelet Maker
Cra-Z-Loom Bracelet Maker
Offered by Lackenstrand Toys

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbeatable price and superfast delivery!, 8 Dec 2014
This review is from: Cra-Z-Loom Bracelet Maker (Toy)
Bought for a 10 year old and as presents for a few of his friends (the price is unbeatable!). The set is fantastic, loads of colours, thousands of bands, the standard board - all in order.
Who would have thought that the bracelet making would win the battle with iPad, game console, etc. etc. A genius product.

Magic in the Moonlight [DVD] [2014]
Magic in the Moonlight [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Colin Firth

4.0 out of 5 stars Light entertainment, very enjoyable., 4 Dec 2014
A typical Woody Allen film, enjoyable and light-hearted, and yet full of wit and tongue-in-cheek wisdom. Colin Firth is adorable (and believe me, I do not say it lightly!).

This is NOT Blue Jasmine [DVD] [2013], of course, and the story is old-fashioned and worn-out, but the lovely cast and superb acting make "Magic in the Moonlight" an enjoyable film to watch. The first half of the film flew by, the ending was a bit dreary (a tiny bit!). Great film for a night in.

I liked it! Plus a separate star for Colin Firth.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20