Profile for Lola > Reviews

The Wedding Weekend [DVD] [2007]
The Wedding Weekend [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ David Alan Basche
Price: 5.77

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth it, unless you have a special interest in a cappella performances., 20 July 2014
I have no idea how "The Wedding Weekend" crept into my rental list. But I suffered through it.

The film centres around a group of a cappella singers from college. Fifteen years after their graduation, a group of thirty-somethings reunites for a friend's wedding. Quickly and surely, we find out how unhappy their lives really are, and only music can save [and saves] them.

Sorry for the sarcastic review, the film is not the worst I've ever seen, but it's a mediocre attempt at comedy. Forgettable, not really necessary and quite boring. "The Wedding Weekend" is full of dull chat. The actors are evidently trying their best, but the script fails them miserably.

The Shadows (Books of Elsewhere)
The Shadows (Books of Elsewhere)
by Jacqueline West
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Un-putdown-able. 4.5/5 stars., 20 July 2014
"The Shadows" was read within 2 day by one 9 y.o., which is yet unprecedented. I read it as well, when I had a chance (and as it was recommended by the said 9 y.o. as a scary page-turner, I was even quoted some jokes from there!). What can I say? Obviously written for pre-teens, this is cleverly done story of one girl exploring her new [spooky] house and making unlikely friends. The narrative is very rich and fantastically describes the old creaky mansion and spooky paintings with something alive and moving within them!

For a 8-12 year old, I think this will be a treat and I would definitely check other books in the series.

P.S. It reminded me of Coraline.

Mr Selfridge - Series 1-2 [DVD] [2014]
Mr Selfridge - Series 1-2 [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Jeremy Piven
Price: 14.90

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm charmed off my feet by Mr Selfridge!, 20 July 2014
I was not at all sure about Mr Selfridge the series (I mean, what can it be about, I thought, it's like sucking a story out of a thumb!). BUT, by episode three of the first season I was fully converted (you have to live through the longish pilot episode). I was addicted to the story of ostentatious and flamboyant Harry Gordon Selfridge (excellently cast Jeremy Piven), the American brain and power behind the top London department store Selfridge & Co. He is a force of nature, ready to charm you off your feet! First season opens with Mr Selfridge planning to open the store while his business partners pull out, and the season close with Selfridges the store blooming and Selfridges the flashy American in the midst of family troubles. Second season is much darker, it picks up in 1914 as Selfridge & Co. celebrates its fifth anniversary while Europe is on the brink of war.

There are affairs, there are brilliant outfits, there are bohemian artists and stolen kisses, there is a spirit of a dead wife, a very sexy Frenchy (and quite annoying Italian) and one and only Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Each episode explores different themes but ultimately it's all about love, loss, ambition and the new era - the beginning of the Twentieth Century! The series are beautifully filmed, interiors and exteriors are well researched and some of the fashions are original outfits from the bygone era - this all makes London of the early twentieth century look rich and elegant.

I heard a number of complains about the slight annoyance of Jeremy Piven and/or inability of Mr Selfridge the series to compare with the "Downton Abbey". All I can say - no complaints from me! This is a brilliant, upbeat but thoughtful, somewhat educational (I think so!), good-hearted series. And I cannot wait to watch the third season.

We Were Liars
We Were Liars
Price: 0.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed for the beautiful writing, not the twists and turns of plot. 3.5/4, 20 July 2014
This review is from: We Were Liars (Kindle Edition)
I bought "We Were Liars" after all the positive reviews (from blogs and youtubers) spammed my feed. I guess I expected too much from the so-called shocking ending and unexpected turn of events. E. Lockhart did not invent the genre and the plot is not unique. I guess, as the book is a YA book, the target audience might still be quite impressed! Try it out, it's very readable, a page-turner, written in a clear and concise prose. Yes, one thing I cannot fault - such beautiful writing. I ended up underlying quite a few passages, not something I do often.

The Two Faces Of January [DVD]
The Two Faces Of January [DVD]
Dvd ~ Viggo Mortensen
Price: 10.00

2.0 out of 5 stars This is no talented Mr Ripley. 2.5/3 stars, 20 July 2014
1962. A glamorous and dazzling American couple, the charismatic Chester (Viggo Mortensen) and his young and pretty wife Collette (Kirsten Dunst) are sight-seeing in Athens during their European vacation. While at the Acropolis, they encounter dark and brooding Rydal (Oscar Issac), a young multilingual American working as a tour guide. Drawn to Collette's beauty and Chester's wealth, Rydal accepts their invitation to dine and finds himself witnessing a crime, unraveling one dirty secret after the other.

Despite the beautiful scenery and top-level performances, I found the film rather boring, and the chemistry between the leads was non-existent. They were like three separate, highly charged islands travelling alongside each other. The so-called "dramatic finale" did not shock. There are better sophisticated thrillers out there. This one is quite forgettable.

The Other Woman [DVD]
The Other Woman [DVD]
Dvd ~ Cameron Diaz
Price: 12.50

4.0 out of 5 stars You just cannot go wrong with Cameron Diaz and Leslie Mann in one chick-flick! 3.5 /4 stars., 20 July 2014
This review is from: The Other Woman [DVD] (DVD)
You know what, yes, the jokes are clichéd (most, but not all!) and much of the comedy seems strained or offhand, and it doesn't really kick into gear until two leading ladies start drinking together. But I very much enjoyed this film, and I am sure almost any girl/woman would, too. Especially if you know what not to expect - some deep meaning drama. This is a top-notch entertainment delivered by gorgeous Cameron Diaz and cute yet hilarious Leslie Mann.

To sum up the plot: it's girl power against one cheating Jamie Lannister. Enjoyed!

RITUALS Mild Eye Make-Up Remover 30 ml
RITUALS Mild Eye Make-Up Remover 30 ml
Price: 4.50

3.0 out of 5 stars Too mild..., 17 July 2014
I bought a few bottles of 125 ml make-up remover and it's still less than a week since I started using it (replacing my old Benefit product) and I am not completely happy with this. Firstly, it is very gentle, i.e. you need A LOT to remove your make up, more so if you are wearing waterproof (or even normal!) mascara. With my previous experience with the 2-phase formulas, the oily part would be amazing in removing make up... Not here. About 20% of the product is now gone and it's been less than a week since I started to use it. Besides, the product does not easily flow out of the bottle. I thoroughly recommend you try Benefit or CLINIQUE TAKE THE DAY OFF remover 125ml for amazing make-up removing qualities!

Mr Selfridge - Series 2 [DVD]
Mr Selfridge - Series 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jeremy Piven
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Darker, but not less addictive!, 16 July 2014
Season Two of “Mr Selfridge” picks up in 1914 as Selfridge & Co. celebrates its fifth anniversary while Europe is on the brick of war. It begins with proprietor Harry Selfridge (excellently cast Jeremy Piven) anxious for the return of his estranged wife Rose (Frances O'Connor) from America; and continues with plenty of war-related stories, as well as love stories. Though the central figure of Mr. Selfridge is H.G. Selfridge, it's the whole cast that makes the show come alive, as it centres of the relationships among employees and employers, which are passionate, supportive, sometimes dysfunctional and very occasionally spiteful.

I loved this season, although it is much darker then the first, it is still impressively detailed and masterfully put together. “Mr Selfridge” is not a show for everybody, but if it fits your mood, it’s such enjoyable series! I really loved the show and cannot wait for Season Three.

Bad Neighbours [DVD]
Bad Neighbours [DVD]
Dvd ~ Seth Rogen
Price: 10.00

3.0 out of 5 stars A very typical Seth Rogen comedy., 13 July 2014
This review is from: Bad Neighbours [DVD] (DVD)
The plot in "Bad Neighbours" is as basic as they come. Mac (Seth Rogen) and Kelly (Rose Byrne) are new parents who still dream of the wild nights of their youth. And yet they are terrified when the fraternity (led by Zac Efron and Dave Franco (i.e. brother of James Franco) moves in to the house next to theirs. Initially, the neighbours try hard to bridge the generation gap, but it does not take long for the new parents to realise that their daughter needs sleep, and the boys next door just cannot keep the noise down. The war ensues.

The film is okay. Seth Rogen does what he always does (including showing his naked backside), Zac Efron does what he always does (i.e. goes around barechested). The humour is uninventive, rough and juvenile. All the swearing, violence and drug use were over the top and unnecessary (I am surprised nobody mentioned the constant drug abuse and nights out of young parents!).

Maleficent [Blu-ray]
Maleficent [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Angelina Jolie
Price: 16.75

3.0 out of 5 stars A perfect treat for pre-teen girls, not such a treat for a couple of "oldies"., 13 July 2014
This review is from: Maleficent [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I know I am in minority here, but here’s the truth: I did not enjoy “Maleficent”. Yes, it’s visually stunning, yes, Angelina Jolie can act even by raising her mildly perturbed eyebrow, yes, there is an unexpected end, BUT. But I was expecting Jolie to be the badass of “Sleeping Beauty”, and here we have stylishly decked out in leather-wrapped horns beauty with a softer side. She is no Cruella De Vil or Ursula, the evil mermaid. Jolie, the Maleficent, is a misunderstood but kind at heart fairy, a wounded heroine who looks out for Princess Aurora (Elle Fanning) even though she did curse her.

Of course, for young teenage girls and pre-teenage princess obsessives, the film is perfect and I would not think twice about recommending it to a young girl. But for a late twenties myself, this is just a stunning director’s work of an Oscar-winning production designer, Robert Stromberg. Beautiful, but somewhat lacking.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 16, 2014 9:55 AM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20