Profile for Lola > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Korres Lip Butter Guava
Korres Lip Butter Guava

5.0 out of 5 stars Great everyday moisture., 21 Jan. 2015
Korres is my new obsession. Natural, organic products (most, if not all, vegan), which also smell wonderful, feel good and treat your skin like their more expensive contemporaries on the market! This lip butter is amazing for everyday lip care. The pot is huge – 5g might not seem like enough, but it is! The smell is fruity and gentle; the lip Guava lip butter is almost colourless (gives just a slight minimal hint of colour).

PLEASE NOTE if your lips are really dry and chapped, you will require more “healing” product. This Korres lip butter is just for everyday moisture and a bit of a barrier from cold and wind.

Into the Woods [DVD]
Into the Woods [DVD]
Dvd ~ Meryl Streep

3.0 out of 5 stars The potpourri of well-loved fairy tales., 20 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Into the Woods [DVD] (DVD)
How many fairy tales take place in the woods? Here, we have fairy tales galore, with heroes and heroines wandering off-road and into one another's tales, making the well known once again unpredictable and surprising.

For me, it was Meryl Streep's witch in her blue wig and her morals who made the film (a Rob Marshall's adaptation of the well-loved Broadway musical), the rest of the star cast just proves one more time that it's not the big names which make the film happen (Anna Kendrick just does not cut it as Cinderella!).

"Into the Woods" is a film which, given its story, its director and its all-stars cast, is unexpectedly dull (for me as an adult - and boy do I regret this! I love a good fairy tale!). Kids will enjoy it, of course. Adults will be slightly bored by the occasionally ill paced narrative.

Did I mention there is Johnny Depp? He plays his usual charming villain, but no amount of Depp can save this adaptation. For musical enthusiasts (both scene and screen), "Into the Woods" could easily be a big hit. And the children, I repeat, will love it.

What Alice Forgot
What Alice Forgot

3.0 out of 5 stars An "in between" option., 20 Jan. 2015
This review is from: What Alice Forgot (Kindle Edition)
A bit of a disappointment, but Liane Moriarty is an excellent storyteller, so it was not a torture to read. It's just I expected a bit more from "What Alice Forgot" after reading (and enjoying quite a bit) "The Husband's Secret".

"What Alice Forgot" felt too long, slow-paced, not really engaging, not that funny and a bit repetitive. The great mystery of "the other woman" was not what I expected, but it did not really matter in the end. I was just glad the book finished.

It's a standard three-star book for me. Perhaps not the most engaging and thrilling, but a good "in between" the books read - easy to forget.

Bread and Chocolate
Bread and Chocolate

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it!, 19 Jan. 2015
If you are fond of short stories - I urge you to check this collection out! So delicious, interesting, stirring, inspirational and, occasionally, moving (on some other occasions, delightfully creepy!). I have never read anything by Philippa Gregory but boy will I check her fiction out now! I absolutely loved this collection!

One Step Too Far
One Step Too Far

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit blah. The twists could not save the uninspiring narrative., 19 Jan. 2015
This review is from: One Step Too Far (Kindle Edition)
I've heard quite a lot about the book and was looking forward to read it. First, it took me about two weeks to finish it (always a bad sign!) - what started intriguing became boring and uninspiring quite soon, there was no action. Except for running away, looking for home, looking for a job, finding home, redecorating, finding job, going to work... You see what I mean - all pretty mundane, with occasional flashbacks to a happy past. The author did not throw any hints as to what was actually going on, what happened, what was the reason of abandoning one [blissful] family life and escaping to London. The narrative was pretty uninspiring and humdrum. Towards the end of the book, of course, a couple of twists (one better than the other) were thrown in, but generally... I would not recommend this book as a thriller, or as a love story, or as a page-turner even. It's just... Blah.

P.S. And what about every second character "throwing up in the trash bin"?..

The Lego Movie [DVD] [2014]
The Lego Movie [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Chris Pratt

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fun for the kids., 8 Jan. 2015
This review is from: The Lego Movie [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
I was super excited to finally sea the “Lego Movie”, and whiles I ended up singing “Everything is Awesome” for a couple of days, I was majorly unimpressed by the film. There are a lot of jokes, and many more pointless and slightly boring fighting, explosions every five minutes and many two-dimensional characters.

Dontt get me wrong THE KIDS WILL LOVE IT. But it felt just a tiny bit dull and the end fizzled out.

iPhone 5 Wallet Case - Card Case for iPhone 5 by Huskk - High-End Premium Italian Vegetable Tanned Leather - Black
Offered by HUSKK UK

2.0 out of 5 stars You might lose your cards, or your phone, or both!, 8 Jan. 2015
This iPhone case comes in a understated gift box, it is of good quality and very good leather, it looks professional and modern, it feels almost luxurious. BUT unless you want to migrate your wallet to the back of your case… I doubt you will enjoy using this HUSKK product. My iPhone 5S kept sliding out of the case (on more than a couple of occasions!), unless there was a stack of cards tucked at the back to tighten up the case. And beware, if you only have one or two cards, they also keep slipping out! What a shame. Because I am not really comfortable carrying all my cards in the phone case – which is what you have to do to benefit from this product.

Stated to be made of Italian leather – in Britain. This could be a great helper for a right person (a lot of cards, no coins, no wallet). Alas, not for me.

We Are The Best! [DVD]
We Are The Best! [DVD]
Dvd ~ Mira Barkhammar

2.0 out of 5 stars An uninspiring coming of age tale., 8 Jan. 2015
This review is from: We Are The Best! [DVD] (DVD)
Last time I watched a film by Lukas Moodisson I was a teenager - and I [almost] loved the rebellion and agitation of his films. Now, watching "We Are the Best" I was bored at times, annoyed, not involved. This is a coming of age story, yet it is so... tedious and dull that I was constantly checking my watch waiting for it to finish. An uninspiring story about three young misfits (it is the Eighties) trying to form an all-girls punk band. Extra star for girl power.

Annie [Blu-ray]
Annie [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Cameron Diaz

3.0 out of 5 stars Three stars. But BARELY!, 6 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Annie [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
When it comes to family movies and musicals at Christmas time (and any day of the year), you could do better than this new "Annie". Sandra Bullock was right to refuse the role of Miss Hannigan (although Cameron Diaz is fantastic playing it!). I have no doubt girls of certain age will love the film and music numbers, but for me the film felt too long, too clichéd, too predictable, too calculated to appeal to the large family audience spending their Christmas time in the cinema. “Annie’ the film bears some average choreography and tries to hard to be good. Not really charming and not that funny (if at all?). Still, Cameron Diaz was a delight to watch.

Extra star goes to Quvenzhane Wallis.

The Husband's Secret
The Husband's Secret

4.0 out of 5 stars A “silent” thriller (but oh so good!)., 6 Jan. 2015
Apart from many superb characters, twisty narrative, “The Husband’s Secret” is an interesting study on revenge, vengeance, payment for your wrong deeds and complicated portrait of family dynamics! I could not put this book down!

A page-turner, but I am a bit disappointed with the end (I kinda expected more action, more of a “thriller”). In any case, I enjoyed it so much I started on another book by Ms Moiarty straight after I finished this one.

Recommended! Especially as a relaxing (but thought-provoking and exciting!) holiday read!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20