Profile for Ms. N. Goggin > Reviews

Content by Ms. N. Goggin

Ms. N. Goggin (England, UK)

Send: Why People Email So Badly and How to Do It Better
Send: Why People Email So Badly and How to Do It Better
by David Shipley

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful reading for anyone overwhelmed by email, 3 Sept. 2014
I referred heavily to this book when designing my course, "Managing the Email Mammoth", and I recommend it to course delegates on all business writing courses. This book is written in an easy-to-read style, and contains some useful research on why many of our email habits are ineffective.

Highly recommended.

Peugeot 22 cm Paris Pepper Mill, Chocolate
Peugeot 22 cm Paris Pepper Mill, Chocolate
Offered by Stainless-Steel-Styling

5.0 out of 5 stars Very durable, 1 Feb. 2013
Having worn out several pepper grinders in the last few years, I'm pleased to have found one that has lasted two years already and shows no sign of deterioration. Highly recommended.

OXO Good Grips POP Container Square, Large, 5.2 Litre
OXO Good Grips POP Container Square, Large, 5.2 Litre

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth paying the extra, 1 Feb. 2013
These are more expensive than other large plastic containers. They are also more sturdy, more stackable and more airtight. I've already bought four of these and I'll be buying even more.

De'Longhi DEM10 Compact Dehumidifier
De'Longhi DEM10 Compact Dehumidifier

1.0 out of 5 stars Would be good...if it kept working!, 8 Nov. 2012
When we started using this dehumidifier, the humidity levels decreased from 72% to 48% within a few days. Unfortunately, they increased again within the week when the machine stopped dehumidifying, instead just heating the (already warm) room.

We received a replacement very promptly through Amazon. Unfortunately the second machine stopped working even more quickly than the first.

Reading through the other reviews, this appears to be a common problem.

De Longhi need to improve this product before it is worth buying.

Six Thinking Hats
Six Thinking Hats
by Edward de Bono

4.0 out of 5 stars A classic "must read", 26 April 2010
This review is from: Six Thinking Hats (Paperback)
First published in 1985, Edward de Bono's Six Thinking Hats is a management book whose suggestions are as relevant for successful thinking and decision-making today as they were when the book was first published. De Bono describes a structured method that provides a way to be more impartial as we evaluate ideas, whether doing so as an individual or as a team. The labels he gives to each way of thinking provide a useful code for people to work together effectively in decision scenarios.

I recently worked with a couple of organisations where managers were enthusiastic about the "six thinking hats" - and I felt compelled to read the book, so that I was better-versed with the various "hats". Having read the book, I now understand why organisations find this way of encouraging structured thinking to be useful.

For me though, having come to this book after using neurolinguistic programming (NLP) for several years, I didn't really learn any new methodology: de Bono's method is strikingly similar to the NLP method of looking at issues from different perspectives; the difference being that de Bono defines and labels the perspectives from which problems should be considered. I would be surprised if the founders of NLP didn't refer to de Bono's work during their search for excellence.

This is a short, easy-to-read book which could help you to open up your own or your team's thinking - and give you an easy-to-understand common thinking styles vocabulary. However, if you are already well-versed in NLP, you are likely to already be familiar with much of what this book has to offer.

Hama Digi-Power 7.4V / 850Mah = Canon LP-E5
Hama Digi-Power 7.4V / 850Mah = Canon LP-E5

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as a Canon battery, 12 Oct. 2009
I have used this battery now for about 3 months and it is still working as well as when I bought it. If Hama keep producing these batteries I see no reason for ever buying another Canon battery.

The Game
The Game
by Neil Strauss

5.0 out of 5 stars Unputdownable (the female perspective), 12 Oct. 2009
This review is from: The Game (Paperback)
I was recommended The Game by a fellow female, who told me that it would help me to understand the confidence tricks that certain men use to pick up women. It certainly validated my warning bells, and gave a thoroughly entertaining read into the bargain.

The Game is a gripping story about the pick up artist (PUA) underground community, the plight of a PUA living experiment, and the PUAs within it. It is also full of tips used successfully by these PUAs to pick up women.

From a woman's perspective, it is amusing to see how PUAs often perceive picking up women - basically a game in which the aim is to score points - be it as many telephone numbers as possible in a night, or bedding a woman.

Strauss cleverly picks apart the reasons why some of the PUAs have turned picking up women into an obsession, even to the point of developing a career from it: from a lack of recognition in their childhood, needing to outperform alpha males who once bullied them, or simply autistic tendencies.

This is one of the most enjoyable books I have read in a while. As a woman, it is the closest I am ever likely to get to this subculture - having become familiar with the tricks PUAs use, I am not likely to ever get involved with someone who is a member of it...I hope!

Goal-Free Living: How to Have the Life You Want Now!
Goal-Free Living: How to Have the Life You Want Now!
by Stephen M. Shapiro

5.0 out of 5 stars Life-transforming!, 17 July 2009
This book was recommended to me at a time that I felt like my life had collapsed around me. It hadn't, of course. It was just that my goal of growing old with my partner and our not-yet-conceived children was shattered.

As someone who judged their success in life by achievement of goals, a goal being rendered impossible called for a radical rethink.

This book started by reassuring me that I am not alone: apparently 41% of Americans say that achieving their goals has not made them happier. Reading the prologue helped me totally connect with Shapiro, as he explains how not only has he too lost a relationship, but it also took him several go's to finally become goal-free.

Let's set the record straight - Shapiro does not advocate becoming completely goal-free. That would go against the wisdom of previous management research by people such as Latham and Locke, who proved that people are more motivated when they are working towards goals. Instead, he is advocating that we set our intentions for our life (set our compass) and use goals as useful tools during our quest.

Separating our lives from our goals enables us to be less attached to them. As Shapiro says, we "use a compass, not a map". It enables us to live in the moment, without worrying what happens in the future. As we are never in total control of the future (as I painfully found out), we will live a much happier life if we just live by our guiding principles and accept life as it happens. In other words, we have serendipity.

Most of the rest of the book desribes the benefits of living goal-free.
For example, it lets us make decisions without worrying about the outcome (fellow ladies: this means that we really can choose which outfit to wear or what to eat without deliberating; how liberating is that?) It allows us to take advantage of opportunities that come our way. It even means that our mistakes are to be welcomed as a source of power.

I guess it's because giving a formula for goal-free living is an anathema that one isn't given. Because this might be uncomfortable for people, Shapiro explains some guiding principles for overcoming some of the barriers to goal-free living, such as detachment, and how to set and live with aspirations, rather than goals.

Shapiro uses another motivational story at the end of the book to remind us that we are not unique, and it really is possible to become goal-free.

This book really has changed my life. It probably comes as no surprise to you that I whole-heartedly recommend this book. It would be of benefit to anyone who has become jaded with life, or someone who just wants to enjoy more of life, by living in the moment.

An Autobiography: Or The Story of My Experiments With Truth
An Autobiography: Or The Story of My Experiments With Truth
by M.K Gandhi

4.0 out of 5 stars Should Gandhi have been a motivational speaker?, 11 Jun. 2009
I have long held Gandhi in high esteem. It has been some time that I have been curious to know more about the man, his life and how he thought. What better way to learn about Gandhi than through the man's own autobiography? Reading Experiments in Truth has given me both the insight I wanted into Gandhi's life, and some great pearls of wisdom to apply in my own life.

Gandhi was clearly a principled man, who has led a fascinating life - a life in which he has staunchly stuck by his moral values at every stage, a life whose turnings have been steered by himself. It shows Gandhi's life was, as the title states, a series of experiments in truth.

Reading this book taught me a lot about Gandhi's life that I didn't previously know. It is certainly an inspirational read.

Gandhi always sought to understand all points of view about an issue, and no matter how bad somebody's deeds, he never wanted to have anything against them personally. In Gandhi's words:
Man and his deed are two distinct things...the doer of the deed, whether good or wicked, always deserves respect or pity as the case may be. `Hate the sin and not the sinner'.

In fact, one of Gandhi's principles in life was that every case can be seen from "no less than seven points of view, all of which are correct by themselves, but not correct at the same time and in the same circumstances". This is akin to modern-day NLP's presuppositions that "the map is not the territory" and that every behaviour has a positive intention. It goes without saying that he was a pioneer.

Gandhi, like so many determined and successful people, believed that what has happened is now in the past - we can learn lessons from past incidents for the future, and that is all.

So in summary, what I take from Gandhi's work is: live by your values; learn from the past but hold no regrets; in times of conflict, look at the situation from at least seven points of view and don't judge others by their actions. These values are very similar to those vaunted by many of today's motivational speakers. Yet Gandhi lived these values to free Indian people from oppression and suffering in many ways and staunchly rejected what he saw as excessive payment. Imagine how different the world would be like if more of today's motivational speakers acted out their values like Gandhi.

Gandhi conducted various other "experiments in truth". These included home schooling for his children (no formal learning), rejection of material wealth, enforced celibacy from the age of 37, fruitrianism (including limiting the variety of fruits that he ate) and quackery - all of which he forced upon his wife and family. I suspect that the families of motivational speakers are generally much happier than the family of Gandhi were!

This book is definitely worth reading. It gives Gandhi's own perspective on his life. Some of the details about various people he came across went over my head (and I started to skip some of them as I got further through the book) I will now follow Gandhi's principle of seeing everything from more than one perspective by reading someone else's biography of him.

A General Theory of Love (Vintage)
A General Theory of Love (Vintage)
by Thomas Lewis

5.0 out of 5 stars Love and Security, 11 Sept. 2008
I came to "A General Theory of Love" through a recommendation by a leading personal coach and emotional intelligence expert. Having read it, I understand why he thought so highly of this book.

The title sounds almost contradictory, yet the authors really do elucidate the nature of love, how it is enabled and how it is suppressed. They eloquently explain how humans are essentially emotional animals, no matter how evolved our logical brains have become. They describe how this has enormous impact on how we make choices in our lives about all manner of things, in our almost blind pursuit of happiness.

This book should be high on the reading list of anyone who wants to better understand the nature of human relationships of any kind. It offers insight into the reasons for feelings and behaviours of individuals, whether in partner relationships, friendships or the workplace. Perhaps more valuably, it explains the impact of parents, partners and society on the development of a person's ability to form loving relationships and to have emotional stability, more generally.

The authors make their points eloquently throughout the book, citing plenty of academic research to validate their arguments. For those inclined to further research any aspects, there are references aplenty.

"A General Theory of Love" is beautifully written. I would recommend this book to existing or budding parents, actual or potential lovers and indeed, human beings in any culture or society.