Profile for sky > Reviews

We Need To Talk About Kevin
We Need To Talk About Kevin
by Lionel Shriver

5.0 out of 5 stars STUNNING, 9 Jan 2014
The story of Kevin, the teenage psychopath who has 'taken out' a number of people he disliked at his school, is told through the eyes of his Mother. Two years after the event, his Mum is analysing the part she may have played in the shaping (and warping) of her son's psyche. Kevin's Mother is selfish, petty, immature, an inveterate snob and thoroughly unlikeable. A Woman who realises too late that she is not cut out to be a Mother. She tries to love her son but in fact she has never felt remotely maternal towards him. She has tried to disguise her lack of feeling by 'acting the part' but Kevin is extremely bright. She never fools him for one moment. He knows his Mother doesn't love or want him. The one truly courageous thing that this selfish Woman does do is be completely honest with herself: She strips her soul back to the bone and what she finds is deeply unpleasant. This book is brilliant in that it pulls no punches. It examines a subject that in may ways is still taboo in society: The fact that some Women are not maternal and that the 'rush of love' that they are promised will envelope them when they hold their own baby, simply does not materialise. Not then or EVER. As for Kevin, it is the nature-nurture debate. Was he simply born bad? Or did his cold and detached Mother ruin him? or was it a bit of both? We are never really sure. But this is a book that keeps you in its grip long after you have read the last page.

Cries Unheard: Why Children Kill: The Story of Mary Bell
Cries Unheard: Why Children Kill: The Story of Mary Bell
by Gitta Sereny

5.0 out of 5 stars AN ENLIGHTENING READ, 15 Nov 2013
Like many people I always assumed that Mary Bell was a child who was simply born evil; a bad seed. And to be honest I didn't have much sympathy for her. However, after reading this book my views have changed. This child was prostituted to her Mother's clients from the age of four. She was frequently beaten and constantly told by her disturbed Mother that she was unwanted and unloved. Ten years of this treatment would make even an adult snap and do something terrible; The real miracle is that there aren't many more children who commit such crimes. Don't get me wrong: I ABSOLUTLEY sympathise with the two murdered little boys and their families; but I now also sympathise with Mary..........

The Devil Shook My Hand: I've Been Shot, Stabbed and Accused of Murder. People Call Me Britain's Deadliest Bare-knuckle Fighter. This is My Story.
by Micky Gluckstad

1.0 out of 5 stars A DISGUSTING CHILD RAPIST, 6 Nov 2013
I have not bought this book and neither do I intend to. Why? Because this despicable 'Man' raped a little boy for THREE years and he was given a 10 year sentence for it. When a doctor examined the child he found terrible injuries to the little boy's backside. Do not give one penny of your money to this foul, vile creature.

No Way Home: The terrifying story of life in a children's home and a little girl's struggle to survive
by Sue Martin
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars ANOTHER FORGOTTEN AND ABUSED CHILD, 27 Aug 2013
This story of a little Girl who was sent to a Barnado's 'care' home will stay with me for a long time. The 'carers' subjected her and the other children to beatings and rape. This book highlights a subject that is all too often ignored; Female paedophilia. Maybe it is something that many of us still can not bear to think about. But exist it certainly does. We do an injustice to these young victims by turning our heads away from what we find too distressing to read or hear about. This book moved me and I highly recommend it.

I Spit On Your Grave [1978] [DVD]
I Spit On Your Grave [1978] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Camille Keaton

5.0 out of 5 stars A SHOCKER, 18 Jun 2013
This film was banned in the U.K. in the early 80s (1982 I think). I was a teenager and me and my friends were determined to see it. We managed to get the un-cut version of it 'under the counter'. We were horrified to say the least. As teenage girls we often spoke of rape, because as young females we knew we could fall victim to this cime. We were not so aware back then that rape happens to boys and men as well, and to all age groups and ethnicities. Many people said at the time that this film exploited women and was trying to portray rape as titillating. Well, all I can say is if you can watch this sickening film and find it sexually arousing, then you must be as depraved as the men in the film itself. And far from exploiting women I think that it shows the TRUE horror of rape. I know of men who watched this film and admitted that it made them realise just how horrendous sexual assault is. The reason I give this film 5 stars is not because it is a favourite film of mine (definitely not). I gave this rating for the film's shock and horror value. The rape scene is very prolonged (or it was in the uncut version) and the brutality inflicted upon the victim is savage. Me and my friends did manage to watch it till the gruesome end (just about), and I have to say that all these years later, it is still one of the most shocking films I have seen.

Rabbit Hole: A Satanic Ritual Abuse Survivor's Story
Rabbit Hole: A Satanic Ritual Abuse Survivor's Story
Price: 2.54

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT, 17 May 2013
This book was so absorbing that I couldn't put it down. I have long been interested in this subject and I believe it is much more prevalent than we suspect. Many so-called 'experts' try to deny the existence of satanic ritual abuse, but they do so by ignoring OVERWHELMING evidence that it does exist. For example, Father Malachi Martin said that to his knowledge there were at LEAST 8,000 covens in the United States, possibly more. And Father Martin also spoke of the infiltration of the VATICAN by paedophile satanic priests! I think that people 'choose' not to believe in this horror because they can not cope with it emotionally. But we are dong the victims a grave injustice by looking the other way. It might not be pleasant, but we must ALL face up to the fact that the rape, torture AND murder of children and adults, in the name of satan, DOES happen on a huge worldwide scale.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars absolutely stunning, 7 May 2013
I bought this b'day card for my niece whose name is Aurora. I absolutely loved this card and so did my niece!

Nobody Came: The appalling true story of brothers cruelly abused in a Jersey care home
by Robbie Garner

5.0 out of 5 stars A POWERFUL AND TRAGIC STORY, 21 Mar 2013
I would recommend that EVERYONE should read this book; when I read about the treatment of these two young brothers (as well as many other children) in that hell-hole in Jersey called the 'haut de la garenne' I was enraged! The author describes how he and his brother were put in to care by their Mother and left there. The devils at this Jersey 'care' home regularly beat and raped the kids; the author says that when he heard on the news, many years later, that investigators at the 'haut de la garenne' had found a child's skull buried there, he thought to himself 'only one?'
I also remember this news item; a couple of days later the newspapers reported that the home office pathologist had made a mistake; apparently what he thought was a child's skull was in fact a coconut shell; is it likely that an experienced pathologist would not know the difference between a coconut shell and a child's skull? the word 'cover-up' springs to mind.
The author never really recovered from the abuse (not surprisingly) and he never married or had children. He now lives alone, and when he describes the moment his handsome brother died, it made me cry. A haunting, unforgettable book.

Hurting Too Much: Shocking Stories from the Frontline of Child Protection
Hurting Too Much: Shocking Stories from the Frontline of Child Protection
by Harry Keeble
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars DEEPLY SAD, 5 Mar 2013
The author of this book Harry Keeble is one of those special, rare people of which there are not enough in the world; some-one who GENINELY cares about kids. I can not recommend this book highly enough.

Please, Daddy, No: A Boy Betrayed
Please, Daddy, No: A Boy Betrayed
by Stuart Howarth

5.0 out of 5 stars A TRIBUTE TO COURAGE, 31 Jan 2013
I have nothing but admiration and respect for Stuart; to go through the horror that he has been through and to come through the other side is nothing short of miraculous. I refuse to condemn Stuart for the fact that he killed his abuser (his step-father). People who have not walked in Stuart's shoes have no right to judge. I would recommend this book as a testament to what a human being can endure and SURVIVE against the odds. Good luck Stuart.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3