Profile for Wayne's World of Blogging > Reviews

Content by Wayne's World ...

Wayne's World of Blogging

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

5.0 out of 5 stars The Whole Racist thing!!, 5 July 2011
It's my birthday on the 4th of July and lucky me I got an early present. My wife has bought me a Kindle. So I have been downloading all the books I want to read in the next few months. I did a blog on the TV series Huckleberry Finn and his Friends and have always planned to read the Mark Twain novel. Well I have now read it and am very aware of the debate that is ongoing on the necessity to remove all traces of the word "nigger" from the books. I make this clear now. I am not a racist. But I am also not one to beat around the bush and hide words with obvious meanings. Mark Twain used this word many times in this book and I'm not going to disguise it by using the "n" word etc.

Over a hundred years ago we all know of the treatment the black people received at the hands of the white man. It is a history that should leave an uncomfortable feeling for every generation of people. Great spokesman like Martin Luther King summed it up in his speech "All men are free and equal". It is such a shame that it took years for us to realise this and it is amazing that white on black racism is happening today. The question I ask though is ... Is it right to forget this ever happened and sweep it under the carpet.?

With the new edition of Huckleberry Finn censoring the word "Nigger" to "Slave" they are effectively teaching our new generations that the persecution never happened. What is more ironic about this debate is that the book itself is Anti-racist. It tells the story of a slave trying to gain his freedom with the help of his friend Huckleberry Finn.

As stated earlier, when people hear this word they should be ashamed, they should be uneasy. We should all nod our heads and acknowledge the atrocities that us as a human species dictated to a race of people. Sugar coating it for a new generation is wrong and I'm sure in time the treatment of black people in our history will be forgotten if actions like this continue. We should never let this happen, just like we should never forget what happened to the Jews in the holocaust.

Our history is here to teach us our mistakes. Looking to our future I feel the same as Morgan Freeman. Perhaps if we focused more on what we can achieve as a people and less on what ethnic race we belong to the world may start to become a better place.