Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer (Ireland)

JETech® Gold Slim-Fit Smart Case Cover for Google Nexus 7 2013 Tablet w/Stand and Auto Sleep/Wake Function (Black)
Offered by JEDirect UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Case for Nexus 7 (2013), 13 April 2016
Fits well. Allows access to all features of Nexus 7 (2013). Costs less,including postage, than a generic 7 inch tablet case in the shops. Recommended.

Fire Tablet, 7" Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB (Black) - Includes Special Offers
Fire Tablet, 7" Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB (Black) - Includes Special Offers

3.0 out of 5 stars Fire 7 Review - Software, 13 Dec. 2015
I bought my Kindle fire 7 (2015) impulse for €50. I have used several Android tablets and was interested in investigating the features of fire os. The new Amazon tablets have good specifications. I thought that this would be a good opportunity to determine the impact of the limitations of fire os. The descriptions of these limitations in any reviews that I have seen are not very specific.

I agree with those reviews that say that as far as hardware is concerned the Kindle 7 is excellent for the price. I particularly like the placement of the on/off switch and volume controls. If you are satisfied with the limitations of fire is, I would give the tablet a recommendation. You may of course prefer the better resolution or larger screen size and higher resolution offered by the more expenditure fire tablets.

I did have problems with the software limitations imposed by the Fire OS. Also the range of software available on the Amazon app store also did not cover my requirements. In my allocation of three stars I would give 5 for the hardware and 1 for the software. Other users might be completely satisfied with the software available from Amazon and to them the tablet is worthy of 5 stars. Such are the problems and injustice of the star system. For myself I would be very unlikely to purchase a more expensive Fire tablet unless Amazon moves closer to the Android standard. Below I list some of the problems that I encountered in the short period that I have used the tablet

If you have purchase apps on the Google store then, as far as I can determine, you must pay for them again if you wish to use them on your Fire tablet.

Many apps are not available on the Amazon app store. The android FT app has been replaced by a subscription service. Amazon.co.uk will not supply the NYTimes app to a user in Ireland. One can access these services through a web browser. The standard android versions of both apps are available in Ireland. Maxima on Android and Octave are two other examples of apps that are missing. The google cloud apps are also not available. This is only a problem if you already have an Android tablet and use them. OneNote, OneDrive, Box apps and the Amazon cloud are available.

I could find only one epub reader, ezreader, on the Amazon app store and I did not like it. I have a collection of epubs and do not wish to reformat them as mobi. On Android I currently use Moon + reader pro to read epubs and Calibre Companion to manage my ebook library (from Calibre on a PC) . The basic Moon+ reader is available on the Amazon app store. When I try to download it I am told that it is incompatible with my device. Installation apk files are available on the moon +reader website. I installed the package from the apk file. The only problem that I found was an inability to synchronize book positions using Google drive as I do on standard Android machines. I was able to synchronize using Dropbox.

For pdf's and djvu files on android I usually use EBOOKDROID or its paid version PDF and DJVU reader. Version 1.0 is available on the Amazon app store but this is a very poor version compared to version 2.3.4 available on the Google app store. Andoc is available on the Amazon app store and recent versions have been enhanced.

On some free apps I found that the advertisements were much more intrusive the corresponding apps in the Google app store.

IVSO Slim Smart Cover Case for Lenovo Tab S8-50 Tablet (Black)
IVSO Slim Smart Cover Case for Lenovo Tab S8-50 Tablet (Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended., 17 Jan. 2015
This case is exactly what I was looking for. It is custom built for the Lenovo S8-50. A magnetic switch turns the screen off when the case is closed. Highly recommended.

The (Unofficial) Google Nexus 5 SmartPhone Book : The missing manual for LG's Android 4.4 KitKat phone

3.0 out of 5 stars A reasonable introduction - pity about the diagrams, 26 Jan. 2014
This is a reasonable introduction to the Nexus 5. However I have one reservation. Many of the diagrams are not legible on a Nexus 5, Kindle Paperwhite and on several Android tablets. Basically I think that the author should examine a selection of his diagrams on a Nexus 5. and reformat diagrams. There is still a lot of advice for beginners in the book and in view of its low price a beginner might find it useful. This problem is common to many kindle books containing diagrams.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 1, 2014 2:13 PM GMT

Stories for 6 Year Olds (Young Storytime)
Stories for 6 Year Olds (Young Storytime)

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for paperwhite, 11 Nov. 2013
This was bought to read with my grandchild on a Kindle paperwhite. It does not work. I should have looked at a sample before I bought it.

Linux Shell Scripting Cookbook, Second Edition
Linux Shell Scripting Cookbook, Second Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars Solving Practical Problems with the bash shell, 5 Aug. 2013
This book introduces the bash shell and many of the linux utilities that can be run from the bash prompt. I would regard the book as a supplement to the manuals for bash and the utilities. These manuals are available on the web and contain comprehensive details of the syntax of bash commands/utilities and of various options available. These manuals contain so much detail that a less experienced user will be unable to understand what is important or what can be done because he has been overloaded with detail.

This book is a solution to this overload problem. It
* provides an often simplified introduction to the bash shell and to individual bash commands and utilities and
* poses a series of practical problems and provides recipes (bash scripts which combine bash commands and utilities) which solve these problems.

A recipe on page 210 provides an illustration of this process. It is a bash script using various bash commands and lynx and cURL utilities to check a web site for broken links. I had an immediate use for this script and it solved my problem. Until I had read this book I would not have considered using the bash shell to solve some of these problems. The book has definitely increased my understanding of the bash shell.

The recipes are presented in Chapters which cover 1. Introduction, 2. Commonly used Commands, 3. Managing Files, 4. Working with text files, 5. Managing the web from the Command line (I found this a most interesting section and the overviews of wget and cURL are good), 6. Backup facilities, 7. Networking, 8. Monitoring the use of the system and 9. Administration. A user like myself will probably not need all of this material. Most of the recipes in the book are stand alone to the extent that one may only need to read material local to the recipe to understand it. Thus one can pick and choose what you need and retain the book for future reference. If you need to amend a script to suit your own needs you will find the official manuals more readable after you have read the book. At least you will be better equipped to find what you need in the manuals.

While the main emphasis of the book is on Linux shell scripting I have used some of these facilities with MS Windows systems using cygwin ([...] which provide a Linux look and feel environment for Windows.

I usually use the command line to install and update packages. Some account of these procedures might have been included. There is an idea running through the book that the problems tackled are better solved using the command line. Perhaps the authors think that a graphical package management system is best. Perhaps they wished to keep the book more compact.

I consider the book as a valuable complement to the official manuals and it would have been useful to have included more information on using the manuals, the help system and the man command.

Any of the recipes that I have tried worked well. The support material contains script files that do not have the execute permission set. (Changing permissions is not covered until page 115!).

To summarize I found this book useful and can recommend it highly as a supplement to the official manual to beginning and intermediate users of bash.

Karajan Symphony Edition
Karajan Symphony Edition

4.0 out of 5 stars jcf_review, 22 April 2009
This is a re-packaged version of of what was previously available as seven separate CD boxes (Complete symphonies of Beethoven, Brahms, Bruckner, Haydn (Paris and London Symphonies only), Mozart, Mendelssohn Schumann and Tchaikovsky. The price for the aggregate is less than the cost of some of the original boxes on sale in Dublin. The playing and recording are very good. Some people may complain about the Karajan's style in, for example,Mozart and Haydn. Over all the box is tremendous value