Profile for Isabel Archer > Reviews

The King of Capri
The King of Capri
by Jeanette Winterson

5.0 out of 5 stars One of our favourites, 9 Nov. 2007
This review is from: The King of Capri (Hardcover)
This is a delightfully whimsical book, and beautifully observed. It has a rare and wonderful quality: it shows compassion for all, including the "baddie"--a greedy, selfish king. The story never condemns him; it simply describes his life, and shows how he is eventually made miserable by his own behaviour. And when he is finally redeemed, it is without any smugness, just with rejoicing that all is finally well. As well as being great fun, this is one of the most gentle and joyful children's books I know.

My four- and six-year old love this book, and it has had many, many rereadings in our house. The illustrations are full of charming, funny details; the Italian-speaking cat has us all wandering around the house saying "non c'e di che" ("don't mention it"): and I particularly like the Wind who, after creating mild havoc with a tempest, says "You do these things in a moment of madness, and then you're left with the mess."

I've probably bought 300-400 children's books in the past few years, and this is definitely one of the best.

In the Beginning
In the Beginning
by Steve Turner

5.0 out of 5 stars on of my all-time favourites, 2 Sept. 2005
This review is from: In the Beginning (Paperback)
Three years ago I bought this book for my boys, then 1 and 2. They loved it then, and they still love it now--MOST unusual for a book aimed at younger children! The text is simple, elegant, and memorable (God said world, and the world spun round/God said light, and the light beamed down, etc), and the illustrations are both lively and stunningly beautiful. In fact, a while ago I was with my 4-year old looking at a Japanese netsuki painting and he said "It's like the sea rolled back", referring to the very distinctive style of one of the pages. I also work professionally with young children, and they uniformly adore it--the 2- and 3-year olds remember the text almost immediately, and like to "read" it to others.