Profile for Malooky Kulkin > Reviews

Malooky Kulkin

Let Love In [Explicit]
Let Love In [Explicit]

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this one. ALOT., 17 Aug. 2013
My introduction to Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds was with DIG! LAZARUS! DIG! I'm really loving his new album Push The Sky Away, fantastic album too.
This has made me want to check out his earlier work. As I know I like the song Red Right Hand already I went for this album, and I'm not disappointed! RRH isn't even my favourite song on this album. Great stuff!
Mr. Cave, I believe you are going to cost me a small fortune over the next few months. ;)

...Like Clockwork
...Like Clockwork

3.0 out of 5 stars like clockwork, 18 Jun. 2013
This review is from: ...Like Clockwork (MP3 Download)
A very cathartic album for Josh Homme following his near death experience during a routine operation.
I had heard alot about this album before it was released:
Dave Grohl's weirdest drumming ever, No holds barred, lots of inspiring guests, the return of Nick Oliveri and Mark Lanagan..
But I'm finding the album to be rather ordinary. There's nothing really new here that I've not heard before from QOTSA. It's low key for sure.
I have nothing but respect and admiration for Josh Homme and his creativity, and this album does show more maturity in his songwriting. This is an album he HAD to write for himself following his ordeal but for me, as someone who always keeps an keen eye on Homme's musical endeavours, it just doesn't excite me. I don't believe that is the intention with this album anyway, but QOTSA are a band I WANT to be excited by.

More Light
More Light

5.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes more is more, 3 Jun. 2013
This review is from: More Light (MP3 Download)
More Light sees Primal Scream playing every card they have up their sleeves onto one album. The movie noir space and atmospherics of Vanishing Point melding seamlessly with their straight-ahead rock'n'roll alter-ego to create easily their best album since XTRMNTR (I say this as someone who has liked all their albums since then).
Lyrically on a few tracks, it feels like they're saying,"with Beautiful Future we warned you what was happening, now here we are. What are you gonna do about it?" Hard to argue with them.
The year is 2013 and Primal Scream have nailed the Zeitgeist yet again with their most comprehensive album to date.
Essential listening.

In Cold Sweat: Interviews with Really Scary Musicians
In Cold Sweat: Interviews with Really Scary Musicians
by Thomas Wictor

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 19 Mar. 2013
I really enjoyed 'In cold sweat' as it gives a great and surprising insight to the characters involved. The Scott Thunes interview is worth the price of admission alone (not meaning to take away from the others in any way)
Great lessons learned about the music biz, what it means to be a musician and creativity itself. Very inspiring.
Wictor it seems, successfully earns the trust of the four musicians here, therefore these interviews delve alot deeper than the norm. He has an excellent writing style that can be very humorous whilst never being less than sincere.
A keeper to be referred to again and again.

Make A Jazz Noise Here
Make A Jazz Noise Here

5.0 out of 5 stars How to enrapture the man-child 22 years after the fact, 17 Feb. 2013
Album of mostly instrumental awesomeness with a few great vocal numbers. Recorded very well. Frank on top form on his guitar with the whole band playing with extreme tightness (of course) Scott Thunes' bass work is inspirational with tone to die for ~ a demi-god of the P-bass. No, scrap that as that may suggest he's only half awesome. Thunes is all awesome. Ok?
My fave live album by Frank.