Profile for Chanatkins > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
The Improbable Wonders of Moojie Littleman
The Improbable Wonders of Moojie Littleman

5.0 out of 5 stars Just magical, 30 May 2016
Just magical. One of those rare books you need time to think about after you have finished it. Not like anything I have come across before, I would best describe it as coming-of-age but also magical, or fantasy in genre. It had a lovely old fashioned feel to it, both in style and content, and there were so many phrases in the narrative and in the dialogue that made me smile. The story of Moojie, who is found and then adopted by a young couple, is heart warming from start to finish. Moojie has things stacked against him from the starts. Unwanted and abandoned, his new parents then discover he has physical disabilities. He is often scorned and ridiculed throughout his young life, and things get even worse when his beloved mother dies and his father, unable to cope, sends him to live on his grandfathers goat farm. As he grows from child to young man, Moojie yearns and aches for belonging and love. One by one he overcomes the difficulties life has thrown at him, and as a character, I just loved him. I wanted to reach into the book and make everything okay for him! Moojie soon discovers he had special healing powers, and life gets interesting when he meets the mystical 'light-eaters' who dwell in the caves in the mountain. His grandfather and the people of the village are fearful and suspicious of these strange 'hostiles' but Moojie befriends them, learns from them and becomes desperate to join them. What follows is a journey of self-discovery, growing up and towards the end, page turning scenes of heroism and drama. I just couldn't put it down, and I am extremely curious to read more from this author. For me, a very, very unique and beautiful book.

L-2011 (Future of London Series #1)
L-2011 (Future of London Series #1)

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant read, 23 May 2016
Having read and enjoyed the short story collection Outsider Tales by the same author, I downloaded this book the same day, and have completed it over the weekend. The story begins with a young Scottish teen watching a protest unfold outside of a police station in Tottenham. We soon learn that Mack, the main character has been brought down to London from Edinburgh by his parents, after he got into trouble back home, and we also soon learn that the book is based around true life events; that of the shooting of Mark Duggan by the police in 2011. The protest soon evolves into the riots that shook Britain in 2011. As we all know, the riots only lasted a few days, but in this book the author has wondered what if...What if the riots didn't end after a few days, what if they went on and on? The plot then revolves around the exploits of four teens, Mack and the three Tottenham boys he has fallen in with. Coming from a middle class, white family, Mack feels he has to prove himself to his new gang, but he is also haunted by the violent events he was involved with in Scotland. Ultimately, he has to decide whether to listen to his parents, or follow his new friends into the heart of civil disobedience and chaos. I liked Mack immensely. In fact I liked and believed in all of the characters in this book. The plot moves at a steady pace, and the events, characters and dialogue are all highly believable. The book is in many ways a coming of age tale, but it also manages to adequately portray the simmering anger and resentment that led to the 2011 riots. I enjoyed the chapters which revolved around news reports and Twitter feeds, providing a vital backdrop of information on the mood of the nation at the time. As well as the teens, there are two other main characters whose views and actions drive the plot towards an intense climax. Chester George speaks for the oppressed masses and has become their spokesperson via social media. Meanwhile, minor celeb and blogger Sadie Hobbs (based somewhat I felt on the controversial Katie Hopkins!) is encouraging people to stand up to the 'feral rats' destroying the city. With both 'leaders' urging their followers to amass at Piccadilly Circus on September the 1st, all Mack knows is that he has to be a part of whatever happens there...A brilliant book, and I am glad there is more to come in the series, as I need to know what happened next!

The Outsider Tales
The Outsider Tales

4.0 out of 5 stars Character driven stories, powerfully told, 22 May 2016
I grabbed this book when it was free, as I am interested in reading the author's other books. I thought why not give the short stories a go first, and I was not disappointed. This is a short but well written collection of short stories, all very character driven, all very interesting. The first story drew me in, with its quirky main character narrating the story. I instantly liked Freya, and the evolving and intriguing story of the eccentric old man and his behaviour in the library was quite a page turner for me. I continued on, also enjoying The Architect, a story about a jaded actor who receives a strange telephone call on New Years Eve. As things seemed to be turning around for him, I found myself getting excited too. Dark Lights was a rather sad and poignant tale about a woman's attempt to draw her local community into the funeral for a deceased and abandoned baby. Scratched Rolls Royce had a similar feel to it; another tale of a life gone wrong, of regrets and heartache. The Rambler was the weakest one for me, but I still enjoyed it, and I read this collection in one sitting. I like character driven stories with a gritty, realism so this book ticked those boxes for me. I also enjoyed the authors style. I finished this collection and went on to download the authors new novel L-2011, a book about the London riots. So far I am very glad I did.

The Complete Tor
The Complete Tor
by Anthony Morgan-Clark

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique horror, 12 May 2016
This review is from: The Complete Tor (Paperback)
I bought this complete edition of The Tor as I had previously read Part One; Whiteshill and the prequel, The Cauldron. Having enjoyed these both immensely, I decided to buy the complete edition and read the entire saga again as one. This book contains several stories revolving around the mysterious and sinister Tor, an ancient hill in the tiny village of Batsford, upon which sits the strange Dadeni Cottage and the circle of stones. The inhabitants of Batsford are normal folk, but their town is anything but. The Tor itself seems to have a grip on all their lives. Over the decades it decides who lives and dies, who remains and who leaves. My favourite storyline was Part One, the story of three school boys whose summer holiday has just begun. One boy goes missing, never to be seen again, and the remaining boys have to decide whether to turn a blind eye to the strange and terrifying things that go on in their town, or to try to fight back. I kind of wanted this story to go on or become revived again later in the book. Part Two was very different, and I'm not sure how readers tackling the book as a series will find it. The tone and style are the same, and I have to say, the author certainly knows how to build tension and horrify the reader, but I did find this part a little slower in places compared to the part one. It concerns the character of Joe, another victim of the Tor, but in quite a different way. In this story Joe meets the strange and enigmatic Rebecca and soon becomes drawn into her spooky world. (You meet her character in The Cauldron as well.) The plot was slowed down a little for me with a hard hitting, and well executed drug addiction story line. After the intrigue and horror of Part One, I had been hoping for more of the same, and found Part Two a little more like a gritty, realistic piece of fiction. I was a little impatient to find out more about the Tor, the creepy crows and whatever was going to be Joe's fate. Part Three brings in a character who featured in Part One, Andrew, who used to work in the shop the young boys often bought snacks from. He is now married and has moved back to Batsford with his rather unlikable wife. The Tor soon has a rather grim and violent effect on their lives, and the pace moved along quite nicely at this point. As with Part One, I was left desperate to unravel the mysteries of The Tor and Dadeni cottage. I really enjoyed the chapters where another narrator in the cottage takes over. I still don't know who this was! All in all, I enjoyed this version, and I intend to download the author's short story collection Reformed, based on my opinions of this epic book. It's a unique story, and one that I will continue to think about. I would love to see it as a TV series, I think it would work really well!

Daydreams and Devils
Daydreams and Devils

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved everything about it, 10 May 2016
Loved everything about this book. Fantastic pace, great characters, believable dialogue and two great storylines ducking and weaving until they eventually collide. If you love books about gangsters and crime, with a wicked dark humour mixed in, you will love this. It smacked of Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, or anything by Guy Ritchie was called to mind. It also reminded me of The Commitments, and I particularly enjoyed the poignant coming-of-age storyline involving James and his fledgling band. I'm glad I discovered this author. Will definitely be reading more.

For an Incredible Kid: --Stories, Tips, and Advice about How to Grow Up Strong
For an Incredible Kid: --Stories, Tips, and Advice about How to Grow Up Strong
by Ashley Rice

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 8 May 2016
This is a great book for kids, with many positive and inspirational quotes and stories to help them through the arduous process of growing up. I wish I'd had this when I was that age! My daughter absolutely loved it.

Awakening
Awakening

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 29 April 2016
This review is from: Awakening (Kindle Edition)
A wonderful collection of short stories, told in the author's trademark gentle style. You become drawn in, wanting to curl up and immerse yourself in the book. Some of these stories are related to other novels by this author, and for this reason, were particularly enjoyable to read. Highly recommended.

The Boss Killers: Bad day at the office? Call The Boss Killers
The Boss Killers: Bad day at the office? Call The Boss Killers
by Keith Gillison

4.0 out of 5 stars Clever and amusing, 19 Mar. 2016
This is not the sort of book I would usually read, and I'll admit I went into it with several assumptions. I thought it would be a bit too 'macho' for my liking, and I also assumed I would not connect with the characters. As I started reading, I also wrongly assumed that it was a straight forward story about a disgruntled employee who wished to kill his boss. I found myself thinking; why don't you just get another job? But as things progressed, the storylines got more complex and I soon realised there was much more to the plot than I had at first envisioned. In fact it became increasingly clever and kept me, as a reader, on the edge of my seat. It was very amusing in places. There are some great lines and plenty of laugh out loud moments which led me to believe the author has a very dark sense of humour. I suppose my only criticism would be that I still did not feel that connected to the characters by the end, although I was rooting for the main ones, I just didn't feel much empathy for them. However, this is not a criticism of the author's writing or story telling skills. I think it has more to do with the genre and style of book I am used to reading. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes a dark, edgy, sarcastic kind of read, clever, interwoven plots and great imagery. It would make an amazing Brit film, I think.

Fruit Woman
Fruit Woman

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Storytelling, 6 Dec. 2015
This review is from: Fruit Woman (Kindle Edition)
This was a lovely read from start to finish. Characters you could really relate to (if you enjoy the writing behind the sitcom The Royle Family for instance, you will really get something from this) these are people I have known in my life! Perfectly amusing dialogue, a young woman on the verge of a romantic and sexual awakening, and a mystery to help the plot along. The narrator Helen and her family are on holiday in Devon, where her mother has also invited her cousin Les, and an old family friend Christine. These two characters never actually arrive, but the story of Christine's rape and the cousin Les being blamed, is told in pieces throughout the plot. Towards the end Helen discovers a shocking truth about her so-called best friend, and the boy she thinks she has fallen in love with. I didn't see it coming and think I was as outraged and upset as Helen was. Wonderful writing, in a quirky, very British, and gritty style. Loved it.

The Tor part one: Whiteshill
The Tor part one: Whiteshill

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Notch Horror, 19 Nov. 2015
After reading the prequel to this book, The Cauldron, I knew I had to download the full story. The prequel works brilliantly, setting up the chilling secrets of The Tor, and Dadeni cottage which overlook the otherwise ordinary of Batsford. A young girl goes missing, something truly odd and disturbing takes place, and you are left with more questions than answer. Answers which are finally tackled in Part One. Something very strange and dark is going on in this town, and its legacy goes back decades. The Tor has a powerful hold on the town and its occupants. People disappear, never to be seen again. In this book, three young boys try to find out what kind of power lurks up there, with devastating consequences for one of them. I was literally on the edge of my seat and could not put it down. I enjoyed this book, as I admire the author's style and way with words. It ticks all the boxes and then some, as far as horror novels go. The characters are believable and the dialogue is spot on. The descriptions are suitably creepy and grotesque, creating very vivid pictures in your head as you read. I will now download Part Two, as I can't wait to find out how this all ends!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8