Profile for Peter Montgomery > Reviews

Content by Peter Montgomery

Peter Montgomery

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars It works and it's pretty easy to install, 16 April 2014
I have a fairly well spec'd Windows 7 / Intel i7 2.93 GHz / 8G ram desktop. It does not have the most up to date 6MBs SATA controller. The EVO drive has really improved things - both start up speed and overall performance. I didn't need a "kit" to install - just another SATA cable (which I picked up for a couple of pounds) to connect it internally right away (didn't use any drive bay mountings either - the SSD is just sitting there inside the PC). The cloning work fine (I have a 2 TB hard drive which was about a quarter full, it took way less than an hour).

But I made a mistake: after I'd cloned it, I rebooted without making it the boot drive in BIOS. (I thought I had but I'd misread the instructions on my BIOS up date and discarded rather than saving the change). Because it didn't boot, I then compounded my mistake by fiddling about in Windows Disk Management and screwing something up. I fixed it be re-running the cloning. Then I updated and *saved* the boot order in my BIOS and it worked fine. My old 2 TB drive is in there as well, working fine alongside the EVO as a big back up drive.

One of the moist successful upgrades I've ever done. Every PC should have and SSD drive!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 16, 2014 8:55 PM BST

Use of Weapons (The Culture)
Use of Weapons (The Culture)

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK but not my favourite Culture novel, 12 Jun 2013
...not quite as Space Opera as some of the others. I much preferred Excession.It might be your favourite though. Check it out.

HTC Double Dip Hard Shell Case for HTC One - Grey/Red
HTC Double Dip Hard Shell Case for HTC One - Grey/Red
Offered by Ghazi Electronics
Price: 9.85

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems good..., 12 Jun 2013
...but I'm not about to try dropping my phone to see if it actually does any good!

It is a shame to hide the sleek look of the HTC One but it seems so vulnerable with out a cover - and this cover does look OK.

Excession
Excession

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favourite Culture novel so far, 12 Jun 2013
This review is from: Excession (Kindle Edition)
I enjoy the culture novels - though some more than other. This is my favourite so far. Don't be put off by the preceding one in the series!

On Chesil Beach
On Chesil Beach
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The usual high quality thought provoking McEwan material, 7 May 2013
This review is from: On Chesil Beach (Kindle Edition)
...stays with you long after you put it down.
Complex issues brilliantly dealt with. McEwan really gets into peoples heads. His apparent understanding of people is remarkable.

The State of the Art
The State of the Art

4.0 out of 5 stars Prefer the Culture Novels, 24 April 2013
I don't normally go for short story collections. These are amusing and thought provoking. Added this sentence to get to minimum word limit.

The Player of Games (The Culture)
The Player of Games (The Culture)

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly Enjoyed it, 24 April 2013
Still enjoying Culture novels... this is the 3rd one I've read. Probably manage a couple more before getting fed-up of them.

How's that for literary criticism!

Wacom Bamboo Pen & Touch Graphics Tablet
Wacom Bamboo Pen & Touch Graphics Tablet
Offered by C&C Consulting S.r.l.
Price: 50.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Can't get it to work properly - probaslby dirver issue, 24 April 2013
Sadly, after spending hours with it, I still can't get this thing to work properly. But I have not sent it back because I'm sure it is something to do with driver conflicts and I haven't given up hope yet - I just haven't had time to figure it out. Also I have two monitors and that might be part of the problem.The support people are responsive but the response is (i) unplug all other peripherals, uninstall and re-install the drivers (ii) if it still doesn't work start again.

The pen part works fine, its the touch pad bit that doesn't work.

I would also say that if you have two monitors you should consider buying the larger model - it is fiddly having the whole area of two monitors mapping to one tiny rectangle on the tablet.

If I had go the touch pad bit working I would have given it 4 or 5 stars and recommended it. But at the moment it is just gathering dust... and may soon be earmarked for eBay.

August LP104R Wireless Presenter with Red Laser Pointer - Cordless Powerpoint Slide Changer for Presentations - Remote Control Range: 15m - Battery Powered (2xAAA Inc.)
Offered by Daffodil UK
Price: 12.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Does just what I need at a very low price, 24 April 2013
I give it 5 stars because it is cheap and does exactly what I wanted it to do - which is to advance through PowerPoint presentations remotely.Worked almost immediately after plugging into my Win7 laptop. No fiddling about required.

I don't know about the range - I was only ever a few meters away from the receiver.

The batteries that come with it ran out so quickly that I initially thought the unit was defective - so have decent batteries on hand.

I would recommend it.

(I saw in another review that the laser pointer is useful for playing with cats. I can confirm that it can also be used to confuse dogs.)