ARRAY(0xac47d510)

Perkin
by Ann Wroe
Price: 9.79

1.0 out of 5 stars A Mistake, 13 April 2013
This review is from: Perkin (Paperback)
I have really regretted buying this book. I bought it expecting to learn about the life of Perkin Warbeck in greater detail. The book is so full of padding and is written in such a florid style that I have found it unreadable. I abandoned the attempt at page 131 having discovered little to nothing about the subject of the book. Background information about the times is usually interesting but in this case it buries any information about Perkin himself.

Anyone reading this book who is hoping to read a clear account of what actually happened will be doomed to disappointment.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 27, 2013 12:29 PM BST

Millions Like Us: Women's Lives During the Second World War
Millions Like Us: Women's Lives During the Second World War
by Virginia Nicholson
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A Moving Story, 2 April 2012
I had read and enjoyed Singled Out by the same author. However I would rate Millions Like Us even more highly. I find books about social history over the ages very interesting. This book does more than such histories generally do; it gives a heartbreaking and deeply empathetic account of the true effect of WW2 on individuals and the population at large. Stories of lost children and fiances are deeply moving and did move me to tears. Ultimately we are taken to the end of the war and shown how most of the women mentioned attained happiness. The amount of work and research which must have gone into the book is breathtaking.