Profile for Fable Diva > Reviews

Content by Fable Diva

Fable Diva (UK)

Mockingjay (Hunger Games Trilogy)
Mockingjay (Hunger Games Trilogy)

5.0 out of 5 stars the best book ive ever read!, 18 Feb. 2014
katness is a rebel solder who is trying to overthrow the corupt capitol goverment

will she secseed and if so at what cost

Wendy Quill is a Crocodile's Bottom
Wendy Quill is a Crocodile's Bottom
by Wendy Meddour

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't be fooled by the pink cover - Boys love this book!, 13 May 2013
Well just finished reading this book with my two boys aged 7 and 10. They giggled from front to back and asked when the next one is coming out.

What they loved is the quirky humour and the complete relevance to their school lives. Probably helped that my two are very into drama so the stories which all relate to becoming a little bit famous fitted well. The illustrations kept the the whole thing extremely lively and we read every word. To be honest it was like Wendy Quill was sitting in the room telling us the story. It worked very well read aloud but also very accessible for the kids to read themselves.

From an adults perspective this is a very warm book with fairly rich vocabulary. We had lots of discussions around some of the words - "What does sombre mean mum?" And the text does a good job of explaining them e.g amnesia/anaemia.

Top marks for a funny, lively, family focused story. We can't wait for the next one.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 9, 2013 12:53 AM GMT

The Secret Life of Bletchley Park: The History of the Wartime Codebreaking Centre by the Men and Women Who Were There
by Sinclair McKay

5.0 out of 5 stars Personal, Interesting account of a long held secret, 10 Aug. 2012
I read a great deal ... but not much historical stuff. However for me this was absolutely gripping. Partly because it reminded me a great deal of my own grandparents. It was set during the years that my father was born. It was easy to read and fairly unputdownable.

What a fascinating group of people ... I earn my living within the computer industry. Yet I had very little understanding of this rich past and how the computer really did emerge from one of the darkest periods in our recent history. I found the culture of Bletchley fascinating and very reminiscent of many of the high tech labs which I have had the pleasure to observe as an outsider e.g. PARC, Apple, Philips, Bell Labs It also reminded me of working on my PhD at Imperial and the relaxed open attitude people had that allowed you to follow your nose towards interesting problems. Industry still has a lot to learn about how to manage creative individuals. For me now Bletchley Park is something of a role model.

After reading this book I am dying to go and see the machines. I have seen Babbages machine at the Science Museum in London ... but now I really want to see Turing and Flowers machines.

This book is also a fascinating account of social history... it draws on the "mass observation" data. I found it amazing to think that they probably watched many more films than I do now. In fact in many ways with advent of the internet we have returned to reading as key way of gaining information (at least a % of us). It was fascinating to read how the arrivals of paperbacks changed things because you could keep a book for longer than two weeks (borrowed from the library).

My grandmother also left University (Bangor) to join the WAF's where she worked as a plotter... My grandfather was flying mosquitos and almost definitely benefitted from this work. He also never told us about much of his exploits and we discovered a Croix de Guerre after he died that none of us knew about. Now I wonder if they were secret. My other grandfather was in the Navy running the convoys to Malta... I have no doubt that Bletchley played a role in keeping his boat safe although it did eventually get hit.

Bletchley Park will definitely be my next outing. Thanks for this book Sinclair McKay.

The Storyworld Box Cards: Create-A-Story Kit
The Storyworld Box Cards: Create-A-Story Kit
by John Matthews
Edition: Cards

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 9 Aug. 2012
Bought this for my 12 year old daughter ... she loves it and takes it with her when we travel. She is a story writing type and it fits her ways of thinking very well. She spends quite a bit of time just examining all the cards. Will be getting more sets shortly!

The Black Cat Detectives (Cinnamon Grove)
The Black Cat Detectives (Cinnamon Grove)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Raunchy Rocking Halal Read, 6 Aug. 2012
Just finished reading this... couldn't put it down to be honest. This is a much faster paced book than "a Hen in a Wardrobe" but I loved it. There are so few fiction books that accurately depict how technology has entered our everyday life... this one does with spades... I completely believed that "truly deeply muslim" exists... and that three meddling relatives could get up to just such high jinks.

I really loved this story... a warm insight into two loving Muslim families... I can't wait for the next one. My twelve year old loved it too... am just about to read it to my two sons (update - am being nagged for more chapters hourly).

The illustrations are also wonderful ... my kids love looking at them. My daughter wants me to say that the ending has a great twist to it.

Don't hesitate to buy this book.

A Hen in the Wardrobe (Cinnamon Grove)
A Hen in the Wardrobe (Cinnamon Grove)

5.0 out of 5 stars Poignant story of living life away from home, 7 Feb. 2012
Have to say I loved this book and couldn't put it down. I'm looking forward to reading it to my kids.
Poignant but funny story told from a child perspective about a dad coming to terms with living away from home (Algeria). Lots of quirky humour but some real issues covered here which the kid deals with in a matter of fact kid way. Some lovely quirky details which really add spice to the book. I think the descriptions of life as a Berbour will fascinate any child (and adult). Looking forward to more...

Sam (Dandelion Readers)
Sam (Dandelion Readers)
by Tamar Reis-Frankfort

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Phonic Readers, 6 Dec. 2007
This is a set of 50 graded phonic readers (there are more in the pipeline) which start from five sounds and work up systematically through the phonic sounds.

I have used them to teach my son to read and they have worked very well. He is decoding beautifully and has now made the transition to other books very comfortably. I haven't come across another scheme that cater so well to those first few steps into reading.

Great for using in class, reluctant readers and parents wanting to give their children a head start.