Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "HAL9000" (Bradford, UK)

12 x 7cm YELLOW PLASTIC DUCKS CHARITY FUNDRAISING DOG PET TOYS PARTY BAG GIFT STUFFER
Offered by GUARANTEED4LESS

2.0 out of 5 stars Chuck these ducks!!, 31 July 2014
When you are planning a charity hook-a-duck, what are you looking for?
Ducks? Check!
Hooks? Check!
The stick for the hook? Easy enough to come by!
But do you want ducks that float, or at least stand upright? These are top heavy, even before you screw the tiny hook into their heads. In water, they flop over and if the duck has a number written on its underside, the person playing can see it easily.
Like a set of blunt pencils, these ducks for a-hooking, are pointless.
We ran out of time to get anything else and ended up filling the padding pool with play sand, so we could bury the ducks up to their necks and they were a bit harder to "hook".
Maybe next year we can give the duck to the player and ask them to get it to float? Now THAT would be impossible!!!

Star Trek
Star Trek

3.0 out of 5 stars It's an OK soundtrack, Jim. But not as we know it., 20 Feb 2014
This review is from: Star Trek (MP3 Download)
I'm a incomplete completeist when it comes to the soundtracks to the Star Trek movies. I have the first as an LP which is still playable and then 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 as cassettes. So when they stopped working, my lovely collection had a pretty substantial gap in it! Eventually, I'll get round to replacing them.

But meanwhile, here's the soundtrack to the 2009 Star Trek re-boot. The main theme is actually really good and has a strong motif, which is employed to good effect. The problem is: other than this, there's not much else happening in the album. I've listened to it half a dozen times now and most of the tracks are just there. Nothing really memorable. Apart from the track called Enterprising Young Men, which takes the main theme and expands on it. The music to the end credits is probably the highlight for me: it's the Alexander Courage theme for the original TV series (and, yes, the "Oooooo's" are there!) but extended with variations. A good piece!

All in all, not the worst soundtrack, but not the best. Worth buying for the three tracks I've mentioned above.

I read the reviews for the Star Trek Into Darkness soundtrack and it's basically a slimmed down version of this one. Don't think I'll be getting that one.

135 Labels , 19mm Diameter Round , Shiny Gold , Colour Code Stickers , Self-Adhesive Sticky Coloured Dots
Offered by Easy Time Uk

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 27 Jan 2014
I'd been looking everywhere for some gold coloured stickers for a board game I was making for primary school children. I even considered colouring some white stickers by hand. Then I found these! They are exactly the size I needed and they stick (well, they would wouldn't they!). They are gold and shiny and the children enjoyed the game.

Hama Cd-rom Double Jewel Case [Pack of 5]
Hama Cd-rom Double Jewel Case [Pack of 5]

2.0 out of 5 stars Average quality cases + very poor packaging = rubbish, 27 Jan 2014
I read the reviews before buying, and I knew that some people had one (or more) broken on arrival. I should have paid more attention because that's exactly what I got.
Out of five, two were smashed within the undamaged corrugated cardboard packing. It's not worth the hassle to return them. But potential buyers need to remember the old saying: "you get what you pay for". In this case, if you buy cheap be prepared to throw some away. The three that survived are just about OK, hence the two stars.
In my opinion, the rigid plastic that they are made from is just too fragile for the standard Amazon cardboard envelope. They should have been in padded packaging.

Bosmere G461 5-inch Christmas Tree Stand Sparkle Size - Green
Bosmere G461 5-inch Christmas Tree Stand Sparkle Size - Green

1.0 out of 5 stars Great seller, shame about the product, 25 Dec 2013
We needed a tree stand for an 8 foot Norwood tree at church, so found this one which was claimed to be able to hold any tree with a trunk of up to 5 inches. The trunk on our tree was much smaller. When the stand arrived (in good time and well packed), it did not match the photo. The legs were of a different style and the base of the cylinder touched the ground. At first, all seemed to be well and the tree was decorated. However, minutes after we'd finished, it fell to the ground, narrowly missing a child who was stood nearby. We removed the stand and found that two of the legs had become bent and it would not sit level. In short, it was useless. Fortunately, we were able to use a bucket of stones instead and reluctantly redecorated the tree.
I contacted eTree who could not have been more helpful. They offered their sympathy and commented that it was lucky no one was hurt. They gave a full refund immediately.
I know other reviewers have been pleased with the product, but based on my experience I would not recommend this stand.

The Lord is My Light
The Lord is My Light

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful arrangement, 18 Nov 2013
I needed a recording of this song for an informal service. Most recordings were of the song "The Lord is my Light and Salvation" which is (of course) a totally different song. I was ready to give up and thought I'd just check a couple more when I found this gem. The singer's voice is perfect and the simple harp accompaniment sets the words off perfectly. It would inspire me to find out more about Gemma's recordings of Taize music.

The Apollo Missions [DVD]
The Apollo Missions [DVD]
Offered by Not2day Media

3.0 out of 5 stars For avid Apollo fans only, 18 Feb 2010
This review is from: The Apollo Missions [DVD] (DVD)
I am a spaceflight fan. I have been since Apollo 11 landed on the Moon when I was 7. I thought I was going to enjoy this DVD. But I was disappointed. To be fair, it does say in the description that it is film that the astronauts themselves shot during the missions. There is contemporary news footage linking some of it, but mostly it is the Apollo missions, from the astronaut's perspective.

I don't really know what I expected, but I found it hard work to sit through.

Star Trek Starfleet Phaser
Star Trek Starfleet Phaser

5.0 out of 5 stars Set phaser to kill!, 18 Feb 2010
This review is from: Star Trek Starfleet Phaser (Toy)
This was a present for a child, unfortunately. I say that because, as a long-time Star Trek fan, I would have liked to keep it for myself! It's very well made and the sound effects are actual samples from the film. Good product all round.

Classic FM- Music For Christmas
Classic FM- Music For Christmas

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely collection, 18 Feb 2010
We were very pleased with this collection. We listed to it several times over Christmas, surely a sign of a good CD? It has some poor reviews, but I don't really know why. A good selection. Enjoyed by the whole family, from 3 to 80. It made us feel all Christmassy!

4GB MP3/MP4 Player Cross Style 4th Generation, FM Radio, LCD Screen
4GB MP3/MP4 Player Cross Style 4th Generation, FM Radio, LCD Screen
Offered by Basic Bits

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth it... eventually!, 18 Feb 2010
I bought this as a present. The advert said that it was available in a choice of colours, and to email them with your colour choice when you had ordered it.

I ordered it, and sent the email asking for a red one. Later, I got an email from them, via Amazon, asking me what it was that I had ordered(!) I replied with the order number, the product name and code, and all the other details I could think of. A short time later, I got another email, again via Amazon, saying that they had my order and it would be despached. Delivery was efficient and it arrived safely.

It all seemed a bit complicated. Why can't you specify your choice of colour when you order it? Anyway, it had arrived. Then we tried to read the instruction booklet. It was written in a strange Chinese English and was unintentionally funny. Curiously, some of it seemed to have been copied from some handwritten instructions. There was a frequent use of a "c", in place of an "e" and so on. According to the booklet, the Player has a choice of languages; Chinese, traditional Chinese or Engling(sic)! The quick-start card was in English and made sense, but some of the menu options were not shown.

The Player itself is a good product but it is let down by the poor instructions. The ordering system is a hassle, but they were very helpful.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 5, 2010 10:28 PM BST