Profile for El Loro > Reviews

Content by El Loro

El Loro (London, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
PRO PLAN Cat JUNIOR with OPTISTART Rich in Chicken, 3kg
PRO PLAN Cat JUNIOR with OPTISTART Rich in Chicken, 3kg

5.0 out of 5 stars Goes down well., 28 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We use Royal Canin dried food alongside wet cat food and whatever scraps our six month old can scavenge. Swapping overnight, she doesn't seem to have noticed the difference. Ditto our neighbours' cat, who gets only this stuff at home and comes over for a bit of cheeky dietary variety.

Given the review deadlines, I can't comment on how it will go down long term or whether it noticeably lives up to its claims,

Mr Men (Vintage Beeb)
Mr Men (Vintage Beeb)
by Roger Hargreaves
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Six out of five., 27 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Mr Men (Vintage Beeb) (Audio CD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There's something very lovely about this CD, It's greater than the sum of its parts.

Arthur Lowe's narration, with its archaic bourgeois tones, is relaxed and assured. The sound effects are amusing and the music a reminder of a much simpler time.

As you'd expect, it's much calmer than the recent French reboot and true to the books. With a little preparation, there's scope for reading along.

The packaging is attractive, with the front and back LP covers reproduced as the front and back of the insert, with the notes enlarged on the inside. Yes, there could have a been more - maybe a booklet or a foldout - but it would be out of keeping with the general feel of the thing.

The CD is designed to look like a record to great effect.

My only (very minor) quibble is the mix. It keeps most of the warmth of the vinyl but seems to lose something at the top end. I haven't tried it out in the car but it might not sound as good there, particularly when moving, as on the dining room stereo.

Oh, yes, the littl'un loved it. We only got it this afternoon and we've heard it all the way through...twice.

GBC 3 mm Standard Thermal Binding Cover A4 - Pack of 25, White
GBC 3 mm Standard Thermal Binding Cover A4 - Pack of 25, White

5.0 out of 5 stars Not for strip binders,, 22 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I ordered these along with a strip binder.

Yes, I know. I know now.

Well spotted.

I passed them to a pal who uses a thermal binder for technical reports. He says they're pretty good and gave me a mock up copy of one. The covers look clean, slick and professional.

So, the user is happy with them and, as a recipient, I'm impressed too.

They're just no good for strip binders...

GBC 46700E A4 Leather Grain Binding Covers 250gsm - Black
GBC 46700E A4 Leather Grain Binding Covers 250gsm - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Good looking fancy card, 22 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've used these to cover a handful of booklets with a limited shelf life and they're fine.

They look good but not robust or handsome enough to use with something I'd treasure or expect to keep for a long time, not without transparent plastic covers over the top.

The punched out window looks OK but it does remind me of stuff I saw in offices in the 70s.

Am I happy with them? Yes

Would I buy some more? Probably not.

GBC Desktop VeloBinder Strip Binder with Full Width Handle
GBC Desktop VeloBinder Strip Binder with Full Width Handle

4.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected but I'm content, 22 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having used this a few times, I'm content with it but I'm not sure it was what I expected.

It's essentially a four hole puncher - with variable, if fiddly, settings for different paper sizes - which helps you add a strip binding to your documents. It's a step up from the sliding strip binding spines we used to use back in the 90s but it's not a ring binder and it's not a thermal binder.

So, with the right strips and covers - available separately - I managed to produce some fairly good looking booklets. They are less than robust but they are easy to take pages from or add pages too, which is a bonus of sorts.

Like I say, it works for me but I was expecting a different outcome, if not a different product.

KS3 Spanish Interactive Vocab Tester - DVD-ROM and Vocab Book
KS3 Spanish Interactive Vocab Tester - DVD-ROM and Vocab Book

5.0 out of 5 stars De maravilla, como dicen en el pueblo, 22 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
KS3 is a weird time to start learning a language. You've just gone from being a big fish in a small primary school pond to a little fish in a secondary school pond. Your parents are giving you more freedom, albeit with some sanctions for acting your age, and you're not quite sure what to do with it. Your hormones are starting to kick in. To top it all, you start a subject called MFL where the teacher immerses you in another language by speaking as little English as possible.

To paraphrase Shakespeare, some are born to foreign languages, some have foreign languages thrust upon them. Whichever Spanish student you are, you can't go wrong with this. Having both the DVD-ROM and vocab book means it should appeal to at least one of your better learning styles. What's more, CGP have consistently produced top notch, relevant, accessible and syllabus/curriculum compliant materials for a couple of decades now so you know you can trust them.

Se lo recomiendo a todos los estudiantes.,

Max Weber
Max Weber
by Joachim Radkau

4.0 out of 5 stars Just a tad to monumental for the layman, 22 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Max Weber (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having heard about Weber;s ideas in any number of contexts over the last thirty years, I thought this would be a comprehensive look of the man and his work.

I wasn't wrong.

As well as a biography of Weber, this is a detailed look at the development, context and implications of his thinking. However, as a layman who listens to Thinking Allowed, it is a touch too detailed, a touch too academic.

Nevertheless, recommended for the interested layman as the nights start to draw in...

Philips QT4013/23 Series 3000 Beard Trimmer
Philips QT4013/23 Series 3000 Beard Trimmer

5.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good, 14 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I know it's only been a few days but I'm impressed. Yes, doesn't feel as sturdy as the one I've already got but, for two or three runs a week across the beard who cares?

What does stand out is the charging light, which takes the edge off starting a postponed trim, and the easy to use length setting.

Will I still be impressed in six months of a year? Impossible to say with today's consumer electrics but, for now, I'm happy.

11+ Maths Practice Test Papers: Multiple Choice - Pack 2
11+ Maths Practice Test Papers: Multiple Choice - Pack 2

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fertilizer for the hothouse., 10 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is of the usual high standard you'd expect from CGP, although it is only one test paper pack and the actual crib is separate.

If your child has a tutor, this may be redundant. Then again, it's as much about status as it is about attainment so buy it anyway.

10-Minute Tests for 11+ Non-Verbal Reasoning (Ages 10-11)
10-Minute Tests for 11+ Non-Verbal Reasoning (Ages 10-11)

5.0 out of 5 stars This is what it's come to., 10 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It's a sad testament to the commodification of education that these things exist but, if you must, you can't do much better than the CGP pack unless you hire a tutor.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20