Profile for Jay > Reviews

Content by Jay

Jay

Orzly® - Multi-Functional Wallet Stand Case for MOTO E (2nd Gen) - PURPLE Wallet Style Phone Case with Integrated Stand - Retail Packed & Designed Exclusively for Motorola Moto E 2nd Generation (2015 Model)
Offered by G-Hub

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 3 May 2015
I wanted a good quality wallet-type case, with card slots, for my new phone, a Motorola E, 2nd Gen. I was quite pleased with this case until I tried making a call.

Motorola in their infinite wisdom have the main microphone in the band, at the bottom, at the back. Yes, the back of the phone.

And Orzly in their infinite wisdom have cut outs for the buttons, the USB port, the camera, the second microphone by the camera and the Motorola M. But not the main microphone.

So the pick-up is very poor with the phone in the case. It's not practical to take the phone out to make calls because the case is so tight (not a problem normally, you don't want the phone falling out).

I've just spent a frustrating hour drilling a hole in the case, and then when that wasn't enough, cutting out a section to uncover the microphone. The sound pick-up is now a lot better, but it's still not as clear as it is out of the case. It maybe that having the magnet in the latch near the phone or flipping the case over the back of the phone and covering the second microphone is intefering with the signal/sound quality.

Whatever - the fact that I didn't choose a cheaper version, went with Orzly for quality and had to adjust the case is very disappointing.

Oh, and the case doesn't really work as a stand either, but that was a function I never cared about.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 11, 2015 7:20 PM BST

Singularity Sky
Singularity Sky

3.0 out of 5 stars Bursting with Ideas, 5 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Singularity Sky (Kindle Edition)
This book is jam-packed full of great scifi ideas, and for those I would give it 4 stars. Everything from relativity to biotechnology to a touch of steampunk maybe.

But I found the first third or so dragged, and the ideas perhaps crowded out the characters a little, so that lowers the rating a bit. I did enjoy it however - at times it remind me of Red October, at times Douglas Adams' humour, both good things.

An aside to the publishers: The edition I read (which might not be the latest one, I think it's a year or two since it was purchased) was littered with distracting mistakes - stray capitals, repeat letters, missing full stops. Not sure whether those were bugs from poor OCR, or perhaps it was an older draft not the final polished one, but I would appreciate better editing. Ebooks might be cheaper, but they're not free.

Robot & Frank [Blu-ray]
Robot & Frank [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Frank Langella

4.0 out of 5 stars A real gem., 4 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Robot & Frank [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
A quiet and quirky film, but chock full of ideas.
It explores one of my favourite areas of science fiction: how humans interact with technology, how it becomes ubiquitous, how it changes us and how we change it.
Robots becoming conscious and independent, taking over - like the basic human fear of our children growing up and overtaking us - that's a trope that has been examined over and over. This film looks at it from the other end: what happens when the human is the variable, the one that disrupts what the machine is supposed to do. Not all of us are sane, moral, intact. What happens then?
It's a lovely film, not just restricted to the relationship between Frank and the robot, but also how his fading memory affects his relationship to his family, his past, the world. And how other technologies - phones, instant global communication, e-readers - how all of it affects families, people, libraries.
It both was funny and poignant, the acting was good, and I loved the way the film used a 'faceless' robot. It made me think, always a good thing.

The Shining Girls
The Shining Girls

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast and Punchy, 4 Nov. 2013
This review is from: The Shining Girls (Kindle Edition)
Overall plot is very dark - it's about a serial killer & there's plenty of gore. But he's also time-travelling, which allows the writer to use Chicago from the 30s to the 90s as a back-drop. I really like the way she highlighted a whole load of social issues through the choice of victims, without it being heavy-handed, and her attempt to show the effects of violent murders on the people left behind.

Showing that emotional impact was somewhat limited by the style of the book: the chapters are often very short, snatches of action in different times. But I liked that, and felt it kept the plot moving, and it meant the devastation experienced by the families and friends wasn't overwhelming, or mawkishly sentimental. In fact, it's perhaps only something that sinks in when you've finished the book and the details come back to you as you're mulling it over.

I also liked the use of names/dates for each chapter to give the reader a handle on how it all fit together. That might have been confusing because it's not told chronologically, but I found it fairly easy to keep track of once I realised Kirkby's story is mostly told in order with a flashback/ fast forward or two, whilst Harper's story is told in the order he experiences it, but he's jumping between times to commit the murders. And the chapter titles help keep track.

All in all, a good read.