Profile for Carter > Reviews

The Big Wheel
The Big Wheel
by Bruce Thomas

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, funny and thought provoking, 1 April 2011
This review is from: The Big Wheel (Paperback)
Bruce Thomas was one of the finest bass players of his generation, and he's not bad at writing either (his bio on Bruce Lee was a big world wide seller). This book charts how he initially got into the musical industry all the way through to his time with Costello. I thought it was a fascinating read, which really gave insight in to the highs and lows of life on the road with a band, and the inevitable disintegration of certain relationships within it. I didn't find it pretentious in the least. Indeed I thought it was honest, intelligent and informative.
I really want to get hold of a copy of the follow up now, but that's proving difficult to track down!

Incidentally, how someone gave this one star is a joke, perhaps it was a disgruntled Mr Costello in disguise?? :)

In This Light And On This Evening
In This Light And On This Evening

5.0 out of 5 stars A real grower, 1 Dec. 2009
I'm surprised some here have given this such a poor review and rating, each to their own I guess. Perhaps if you were after more of the same then this will disappoint. It is fairly 80s derivative, but the songs are stand out. I'm guessing some have played it once and given up - their loss. For me, it's my record of the year by far and I haven't stopped playing it for the past 5 weeks. Stand out tracks are 'In this light..', 'Papillon' and 'Eat Raw Meat', but they are all good!

All The Plans (2 CD)
All The Plans (2 CD)
Offered by Books-and-Sounds

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish Return, 8 April 2009
This review is from: All The Plans (2 CD) (Audio CD)
I have to agree with the other reviewers here and say how much I like this album. It has a real sense of maturity, hangs together really well and gets better on every play. No particular favourite tracks, I like them all! Bonus CD is well worth getting, with some outstanding accoustic versions of the album tracks.

Perfect Symmetry
Perfect Symmetry
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly consistent. They've won me over., 3 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Perfect Symmetry (Audio CD)
I must admit that prior to this I had a mixed opinion of Keane. I'd enjoyed a few tracks from 'Hopes and Fears', but generally thought they'd strayed too far over the 'anthemy' line. But this is really much better. I got it for a friend, had a sneaky listen and was then hooked, despite my earlier biased opinions. I absolutely love every track. I'd say give it a go, it is really a fantasticaly consistent album.

Waking Hour
Waking Hour

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspired, 8 July 2007
This review is from: Waking Hour (Audio CD)
I find it incredible that somebody gave this 1 star. With stand out tracks like His Box, Dalis Car, Judgement is the Mirror and Cornwall Stone this is without doubt one of the most clever and intelligent cult albums of the 80's. Now it sounds better than ever. Shame on you grimephillips!

Creative TravelSound 250 - Black
Creative TravelSound 250 - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Small and pefectly formed, 28 May 2006
If you are after a small, light speaker system for your MP3 player then this is the piece of kit for you. It's really easy to set up and sounds great. Okay it lacks a bit of bass but for the size and price the quality is excellent. All in all I'm very pleased with it.

Four Rooms [DVD] [1995]
Four Rooms [DVD] [1995]
Dvd ~ Tim Roth
Offered by DVD Overstocks

4.0 out of 5 stars The Amazon Reviewer is wrong! This is very very funny., 8 Oct. 2003
This review is from: Four Rooms [DVD] [1995] (DVD)
How on earth Tom Keogh can describe this as unbearable is way beyond me. I saw this film when it first came out in 1995 and I thought it was hilarious. I saw it again recently and have not changed my mind. The critics hated it at the the time for no good reason as far as I can see except that they thought it was time for a Tarantino back lash.
All four stories are engaging and funny, but for my money it's the last two that steal the show. And the very final scene had me in tears as I left the cinema, it's very very funny!

Barefoot & Shitfaced
Barefoot & Shitfaced
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars Hugely disappointing, 14 May 2002
This review is from: Barefoot & Shitfaced (Audio CD)
I bought this album on the strength of hearing the two fantastic 'feel good' singles, 'Backaround' and 'Man in a Towel' and was greatly anticipating more of the same. However I'm afraid that those tracks are easily the best this album has to offer. I found it a hugely disappointing album overall and can only give it 1 star. There is nothing to hold the tracks together, it appears to be a mish mash of various styles and influences that are going absolutely nowhere. If the band can harness the passion and song writing skills so evident in the two singles I mentioned then they may still stand a chance, otherwise I expect the next album could well be their last.

The Garden
The Garden
Offered by Amtrak123

5.0 out of 5 stars Mesmerizing - John Foxx at his best., 30 Jan. 2002
This review is from: The Garden (Audio CD)
This is a sublime piece of work from start to finish, dripping with atmosphere. From the uplifting 'Europe After The Rain' right through to the title track and the album's apex 'The Garden', there's not a bad track in sight.
Best played at dusk in mid-summer, whilst lounging in the garden with your discman on and a bottle of Chablis to hand....perfect.