Profile for C. P. Whiting > Reviews

Content by C. P. Whiting

C. P. Whiting "G Moonwalker" (Ipswich, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Uwe Rosler Knocking Down Walls PB
Uwe Rosler Knocking Down Walls PB
by Uwe Rosler

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book from a fantastic guy, 14 Aug. 2014
A great read for any football fan, not just those who support City, or other clubs that Uwe has played for or managed for that matter. Brentford and Wigan fans in particular will also find this an interesting read. His story is a very touching and interesting one, told very honestly. This book is so good, it could easily be adapted into a movie (had he played for United, it may well of been!). The book follows Uwe's life and career from growing up in East Germany's communist regime, right up to his promotion/play off disappointment with Brentford. As we all know, Uwe has since moved onto Wigan and once again had the disappointment of missing out on another promotion, this time to the Premier League. We also saw his Wigan side meet and beat City at the Etihad in the FA Cup. As a City fan myself, I was of course disappointed with the result that day, but there was some consolation in seeing a fairy tale result for him, especially after all he has been through in the game and more so, in life it's self. I was genuinely pleased for him. He is one of the game's true fighters and an absolute gentleman. This is just the beginning of a long and fantastic career in football management, I have little doubt that the Premier League awaits Uwe Rosler's Wigan. I hope one day he will return to City as our Manager and I'm sure that day will eventually come.... This is just his story so far and I have no doubt he will have plenty more to tell, so I look forward to reading part 2 years down the line!

Decrescent Dock Connector to 3.5mm Jack Car Stereo Auxiliary (AUX) Line Out Audio Cable Lead for Apple iPod, iPhone and iPad - 1m
Offered by Decrescent

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it's suppose to do., 1 Mar. 2014
Brought this to play my ipod through the stereo in the kitchen (which doesn't have an ipod dock), Works a treat and sounds great. Cheaper than buyer a new stereo system!

Fiprospot For Cats (Pack Size: 6 x 0.5ml Pipettes)
Fiprospot For Cats (Pack Size: 6 x 0.5ml Pipettes)
Offered by DIMEC Pharmacy

2.0 out of 5 stars Ineffective, 1 Mar. 2014
I've been using this on my cat for the last 18 months. Initially is prevented him getting fleas, however I noticed him scratching himself quite a bit recently. I game him a brush and sure enough, I found some evidence of light flea dirt and eventually a single adult flea. I treated him with this and the problem continued, so after less than 2 weeks, I treated him again (this should be a monthly - 6 week treatment). Once again it failed to resolve the problem. I've no idea whether I've just received a bad batch of this treatment this time round, but found it to be completely ineffective. I've also had to remove a tick a while back, after he was treated with this, so it doesn't prevent ticks either. I will be looking for an alternative product.

Nokia Lumia 710 Sim Free Windows Phone - Black
Nokia Lumia 710 Sim Free Windows Phone - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Let down by rubbish apps and poor battery life, 4 Sept. 2013
Had one of these phones on contract for around 18 months now.

The good points:

1. Nice looking phone, reasonably light, fairly durable. If I removed the screen protector and case I purchased, the phone would look almost like new.

2. The layout of Windows on this phone is great, it looks impressive and is simple to use and customise to how you want.

3. Camera is pretty decent for both video and still photos, not the best I've had though.

4. Texting is quite easy, the predictive text feature is simple to use (unlike older phones), although the small touch keypad can be fiddly.

The bad points

1. Windows Phones are let down by a poor selection of apps compared with their Apple and Android rivals. Furthermore the quality of apps that are available aren't very good. For example Facebook is quite limited and has several annoying quirks/bugs. Youtube recently updated and looks impressive, but now doesn't work at (It just says "something went wrong, we're not sure what" - helpful!) The Ebay app is good when it works, but sometimes has problems.

2. Battery life is hopeless, although this probably goes for most smart phones. Lucky to get 1 day on a single charge! (Only managed a poultry 5 hours yesterday...)

3. The screen has a habit of randomly rotating it's self, so for example you would be holding the phone in an upright vertical position, but the screen would turn it's self horizontally. That can get quite annoying!

4. Updates need to be installed by a piece of software called Zune and takes absolutely ages! I've been on here for well over an hour, whilst my phone is updating. It really is a slow and tedious process.

5. The email facility is basic and only lets you view inbox items, it won't allow you to download MP3 items onto your phone, restricts you to viewing a small selection of your inbox and won't let you see your sent items. You can however get round this and many of the apps downfalls by going onto the actual web pages (i.e. Facebook) via your phone. Defeats the object of having apps in the first place though and can be long winded.

All in all, I probably wouldn't have another Windows phone until I hear of some real improvement. Next time I'll opt for an Android phone, purely because the variety and quality of apps is far better.

He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother (Hillsborough Tribute Single)
He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother (Hillsborough Tribute Single)

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely cover for a great course - Buy It, 17 Dec. 2012
Most of you will be familiar with this song and this is a lovely cover, which is raising money for the families of the Hillsborough football disaster victims. Features many well known faces, such as Robbie Williams, Sir Paul McCartney, Paloma Faith, Glenn Tilbrook (Squeeze), Paul Heaton (The Housemartins/Beautiful South), Beverley Knight and many more. Watch the video on Youtube, it's bit of a tear jerker. Would be lovely to make this Christmas No. 1.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 24, 2012 7:38 PM GMT

Wherever You Will Go
Wherever You Will Go

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful Cover Version, 4 Dec. 2012
I'm sorry to say that I'm generally finding this 'kooky girl with a piano' thing a bit boring now.

I loved the original version of this song by The Calling and am in no way against cover versions. In fact there are some cover versions that I feel are actually an improvement on the original. However this is certainly NOT the case here.

Why anyone would want to take a decent soft rock/pop song and dull it down is beyond me for a start. While I don't doubt this lady can sing to a certain extent, it is evident that auto-tuning has been used. In spite of that I find her voice incredibly annoying/grating and whenever the local radio station decides to once again poison the airwaves with it, I find myself quickly reaching for the off/channel change buttons.

This version does absolutely nothing for me, other than successfully managing to achieve the amazing feat of turning one of my favorite tracks into one of my most hated.

The worse song of 2012 for me, sorry.

Targus Backpack/Crave for 16-inch NB - Blue
Targus Backpack/Crave for 16-inch NB - Blue

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Rucksack, 30 Nov. 2012
I purchased this rucksack for work. I work as a Train Driver and although we are issued with rucksacks, they aren't very good ( I got through 3 of them in 2 years, usually because the zips broke).

I have had some chance to use and abuse it and so far, it has held up well, after a few months of daily use and sometimes being packed to it's limit.

There are a number of compartments, meaning you can pack a surprising amount of stuff into this relatively small rucksack. The main compartment is a decent size with more than enough room for a laptop or A4 sized folders/paperwork. The front compartment is also a decent size, with pockets within to store pens, stationary and even a pocket big enough for a small diary/torch. There are two small pockets on the side, ideal for keys etc. The front of bag has a long narrow pocked, which I use to store cutlery, but would also act a small pencil case.

The bag is covered in a shower proof material and it well padded. A decent quality bag, but one very annoying issue I have is that the zip on the front compartment often gets caught/jammed on the lining. Hence it loses a star! An otherwise excellent lap top bag, capable of more.

Metro Kitchen Frypan in Red and Cream Size: 26 cm
Metro Kitchen Frypan in Red and Cream Size: 26 cm

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and nasty pans that are expensively priced. Nothing like Ceramicore!, 11 Oct. 2012
I purchased this pan, along with the 30cm wok and the grill pan. Initial impressions were good, they were heavy and seemed decent quality pans. I was however concerned about the base, which was merely painted red in the same way as the exterior of the pan (something you normally associate with cheap pans). These pans were meant to be suitable of all hob types, including induction hobs. I first used the grill pan, which stained straight away. The non-stick properties were poor and I was generally disappointed. I then tried the 26cm pan and that was even worse. I first used it to fry eggs and bacon and despite cooking on a medium heat and with plenty of oil, the pan warped under the heat, causing the eggs to slide to one side and then stick to the pan (again typical of a cheap and nasty pan). I then tried to cook mince and vegetables (for a bolognese) and despite using oil (something that wasn't even necessary with my last non stick pan), the mince was quick to stick to the bottom of the pan. My cooking method was the same as I used with my Tefal non-stick pan, which I never experienced these problems with. I expect this from a cheap pan, but not something with an RRP of £20! I even feel robbed that I only paid £8.99 for it. My Tefal pan cost £10 and is a million times better this. I was attracted to ceramic pans after seeing adverts for Ceramicore. These pans are nothing like the quality of Ceramicore and I strongly advise anyone to avoid this range of pans. I will be returning these pans under the guarantee they came with.

BargainUniverse® 'I'm not a paper cup' - Ceramic Travel Mug with Silicone Grip - Black
Offered by KingPower Tech

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent tasting brew, however...., 22 Sept. 2012
I purchased one of these for work, having previously used one of the metal travel mugs. I drive trains for a living, so as you can imagine, a decent cuppa is of paramount importance! I found that my brew never tasted right in metal travel mugs we were issued, so I tried one of these...

The Positives:
1. Tea tastes a LOT better than it does in a metal travel mug, it's almost like having a cuppa in the comfort of your own home.
2. Easy to clean
3. Lightweight, despite being ceramic.

The Negatives:
1. It doesn't keep in the heat as well as the metal travel mugs. The ceramic is quite thin, so that comes as no surprise, although I have seen ceramic travel mugs that are thicker (and cheaper!). Thankfully I drink my tea quick enough for this not to be a real issue.
2. The silicone grip is (pardon the pun) about as much use as a chocolate tea pot, the cup is still too hot to hold when boiling water is poured into it, so make sure you have both hands free when carrying it, as it is too hot to hold for any length of time! A handle would have been a far better option, although I appreciate it detracts from the concept of the product. It is an obvious design flaw though and one that makes the product a bit unsafe (hence the loss of 1 star).

I almost went for a 3 star rating, but the reason I gave it 4 was despite some flaws, it is overall much better than the metal travel mugs. I would recommend looking at the ones in places like The Range and Wilkinson as the ceramic is thicker, which may go some way to solving the issues experienced with this particular mug, and they are considerably cheaper too!

4.0 out of 5 stars A vast improvement on '19', 1 Jun. 2011
This review is from: 21 (Audio CD)
So 2 years on and we now have that 'difficult' second album. I found '19' a bit too dull and depressing for my liking, although on a positive note, Adele clearly showed signs of being a talented vocalist with an ability for songwriting. I am now glad to see she has put these talents to much better use with her second album. '21' is a huge improvement and it is there for all to see and hear how much Adele has matured over the last 2 years with her music. The album is well balanced with more upbeat numbers and soulful vocals (such as "Rolling In The Deep" - in my opinion, her best track to date), as well as her trademark ballads, such as the iconic "Someone Like You". It is a good album and certainly no coincidence that Adele has been propelled to stardom in recent months. It has certainly swayed my own personal opinion of her music, good effort Adele.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8