ARRAY(0xa83eb9f0)

Profile for J. A. Mcdonald > Reviews

Content by J. A. Mcdonald

J. A. Mcdonald "spirit-of-the-green"

The Official LaStone Therapy Manual: The Complete Guide
The Official LaStone Therapy Manual: The Complete Guide
by Jane Scrivner
Price: 20.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A 'must have' book for all stone massage therapists., 20 Aug 2008
The Official LaStone Therapy Manual is a great resource for all stone massage therapists. Even if you haven't yet completed a course with LaStone this book gives some good advice for the use and choice of stones to use during your treatment. If you like energy work there's some good methods of using the stones to incorporate the energy centres.
Chapters include:
1. What is LaStone Therapy?
2. The origins of LaStone Therapy
7. Care and maintenance of stones and equipment
8. Temperature control and troubleshooting
9. LaStone Therapy Original Body - the essence
10. The treatment and techniques
11. Geothermatherapy - 'The science of the stones'
12. LaStone sequences/stroke sheets
13. Ritual and respect

along with forewords, course descriptions, resources (US and UK), miscellaneous supplies and equipment list.

I have to say, the chapter headings don't cover nearly half of what is discussed in the book.

I really enjoyed this book and gained a deeper knowledge of the use of stones, not only to massage my clients, but also to balance and ground them. A fascinating and informative read that I would wholeheartedly recommend to anyone interested in Stone Therapy.

The River Cottage Family Cookbook
The River Cottage Family Cookbook
by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book!, 30 Mar 2007
I love Hugh's writing. Reading his books makes you feel like he's speaking directly to you. This book is wonderful for parents to use with their kids. I enjoy cooking and make every meal from scratch (no ready meals!), but I don't often explain the processes when the children help so it's nice to have a book which explains to the kids (and I learned a thing or two) the origins and fundamentals of food. Another recommendation would be 'How to be a domestic goddess' by Nigella Lawson. Her recipes are also simple to follow and older children would be more than able to give most a go on their own or with minimum supervision. Hugh's Meat book is also invaluable to the cook's kitchen library. If you like meat then buy this book, it explains every step of the meat process, from rearing and slaughter, to the different cuts and best ways of cooking and includes info and recipes for game and poultry as well.

How To Be A Domestic Goddess: Baking and the Art of Comfort Cooking
How To Be A Domestic Goddess: Baking and the Art of Comfort Cooking
by Nigella Lawson
Price: 13.29

4.0 out of 5 stars 4 out of 5 ain't bad!, 20 Nov 2006
This is my favourite cooking book at the moment. I think that Nigella and I have a similar taste in food, and she inspires me to WANT to cook her recipes. The cupcake recipes and the chocolate brownies are a firm favourite in my house. However, I took a star off for her totally inept cooking times! The brownie recipe does need an extra 15-20 minutes cooking - they're not so bad if you let them cool a litle and put them back in the oven, I know I tested 3 different cooking times! So if you're confident enough to have a go without being put off with having to 'tweak', then this is an inspiring read. Novices and the unexperimental beware - you may end up feeling like a Domestic Failure.

Secrets And Mysteries: The Art and Pleasure of Being of a Woman: The Glory and Pleasure of Being a Woman
by Denise Linn

5.0 out of 5 stars Glorious and pleasurable read!, 21 July 2005
Wow! Denise Linn has had an extraordinary life! I loved this book, I only picked it up to take a peek (it was stock left over from my shop) and I was hooked. Denise writes from her soul - baring even her most dark aspects to show you how to understand and accept yourself. She has perfectly balanced the stories of her own life experiences (which make fascinating reading on their own!) with exercises such as visualisation, meditation and rituals amongst others. A beautiful book from a beautiful soul.

The Real Witches' Year: Spells, rituals and meditations for every day of the year
by Kate West

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 21 July 2005
This book would be a great gift for anyone new to witchcraft but is a little shallow for those who have been interested for years. I was expecting a little more writing on the 'year', more sacred days and thoughts and ideas on the turning year. It perhaps could have been more aptly named.I do like the style of Kate's writing and found her Real Witches' Handbook down to earth and informative, but I feel this book should have been more true to the title, it seems even the meditations are nothing more than snippets of lore. Disappointing for me at least. Sorry folks!