Profile for Kanieli > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Lifeventure Aloksak 3pk -
Lifeventure Aloksak 3pk -

2.0 out of 5 stars 1 out of 3 of my bags leaked!, 29 Oct 2013
This review is from: Lifeventure Aloksak 3pk - (Misc.)
I bought these to keep things safe & dry during an 8 month trip around south east asia.
One bag was for my passport, one was for my cash, and the third was for my ipod. Guess which bag leaked?

As I often used to go to the beach alone, I didn't want to leave valuables on the beach while I went for a swim - so I used to put my ipod in the ziplock bag, put the bag in a zipup pocket in my shorts, then go for a swim.

This worked fine, until, the third time I did this, I came out of the sea, pulled out the bag only to find my ipod swimming in a bag full of water. Upon closer inspection on corner of the ziplock seal was no longer sealing properly, which obviously meant the bag was no longer waterproof.
Fortunately, I let my ipod dry in the sun for 10mins, and it was fine. However, since I couldn't trust putting it in the ziplock bag anymore, I started leaving it in my hotel room while I went to the beach. A week later my ipod was stolen from my hotel room :-(

The other 2 bags, after 8 months of usage, work fine.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable, lasted well, 29 Oct 2013
I bought a pair of these to take backpacking around south east asia.
While I spent most of my time wearing flip flops, I wanted an alternative that wasn't open toed, but wouldn't make my feet too warm and wouldn't take up much room in my backpack.

These did the job quite well. Compared to other espadrilles that I've owned in the past, they held together well & looked reasonably smart.

I did, however, have 2 minor annoyances with them:
- The label inside on the heel, which is stuck on with glue, peeled off after about 6 hours of wearing these, which left a sticky residue inside, which then transferred onto my feet & caused sand and all sorts of stuff to stick to my feet and the inside of the shoe.
- The sizes range was slightly off for me. I'm usually either an 11.5 or a 12, so seeing that the range was 11-11.5 or 12, I went for the 12. I probably should have ordered the smaller size, as I found the 12s quite loose, especially around the heel. On at least one occasion they slipped off my feet while walking.

On the plus side:
- They held together very well. The rope soles showed no signs of fraying after 8 months of traveling.
- They were very easy to keep clean (a quick rinse in cold water in a sink with a bit of soap then leave them in the sun for 10mins)
- They gripped well even in the rain - many places in south east asia seem to have ceramic tiles on the pavements. I had several slips wearing flip flops in rainy weather, but my espadrilles gripped very well.

Overall, I'm happy with them & am considering getting another pair in another color.

SoundMAGIC E10 Earphones - Silver/Black
SoundMAGIC E10 Earphones - Silver/Black
Price: 29.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Sound great, good isolation, 29 Oct 2013
Firstly, the only reason why I'm not giving these 5 stars is the lack of volume controls & mic, which is really the only reason why I still use the apple headset which my iphone.

As other reviews have stated, the sound quality from these headphones is very, very good.
I'm by no means an audiophile, but I have a pair of over the ear senheiser cans, which I bought for around three hundred pounds, and the sound quality from these soundmagic headphones is very, very close (I actually think the bass levels are better, but the mids are a little muted in comparison).

Compared to the apple headphones (even the new earpods, which are a big improvement), the difference is huge.
For example, I was watching a movie on my ipad on a train, with my girlfriend sitting next to me. I started off using my apple earpods, but my girlfriend complained that she could hear every word of dialogue in the movie.
I switched over to my soundmagic headphones, and she said she couldn't hear anything any more. So from a sound isolation perspective, I think these are pretty good!

Intex travel pillow, camping pillow 43 x 28 x 9 cm
Intex travel pillow, camping pillow 43 x 28 x 9 cm
Offered by Price Attack Ltd
Price: 2.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Lost it's shape, 29 Oct 2013
Beginning with it's third nights use, the ribs inside the pillow began to pop - so now when I inflate the pillow, roughly half of it is flat, and the other half is round & spherical. (think of a "b" shape). This makes it pretty much impossible to sleep on.

It does, however, now work very well to lean my head against a window on an plane or coach ride - I put spherical section on my shoulder so that it supports my neck, leaving the flat section up by my ear to give my head something soft to rest on.

Belling 2500 Watt Fan Oven Element
Belling 2500 Watt Fan Oven Element
Price: 6.35

5.0 out of 5 stars Fixed my mum's oven!, 29 Oct 2013
My mum's oven went pop one evening, after which everything seemed to work but the oven wasn't heating up.
Rather than pay silly money for a new one, I found a video on youtube telling me how to replace the heating element. Bought this, and spent about 20mins removing the old element & fitting the new one, job done! Oven works perfectly now!

Smiffys 75cm Inflatable Tommy Gun (Black)
Smiffys 75cm Inflatable Tommy Gun (Black)
Offered by The 1 Stop Party Shop
Price: 2.23

4.0 out of 5 stars It's inflatable, it's a gun!, 29 Oct 2013
No complaints. I bought this for a fancy dress party. It stayed inflated all night, so it did the job.
It doesn't look at all convincing - it's very obviously an inflatable, which was perfect for my purposes (didn't want anyone calling the police upon seeing me walking down the high street carrying this thing).

Smiffy's Gangster Instant Kit with Braces/ Tie/ Hat/ Spats and Moustache
Smiffy's Gangster Instant Kit with Braces/ Tie/ Hat/ Spats and Moustache
Offered by Party Party
Price: 8.66

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit flimsy, but did the job, 29 Oct 2013
Was told to dress as a 20s gangster for a murder mystery party. This did the job, but sadly I did not win the prize for "best costume".

For the price I can't complain. I think this is pretty good value really. I was only going to use this stuff for one night so I didn't expect really high quality.

There are, however, somethings to be aware of:
The tie is basically just a strip of silk suspended from an elastic ring. I have a fair sized neck, my collar size if 16inches if that helps, but the elastic ring was still very loose - which meant the "knot" in the tie (I say knot, but it's essentially just a large square shaped bit of silk, which looked weird) was sort of dangling a few inches below my collar.

The hat is plastic, think inside of a chocolate box plastic, with a sort of velvet finish on the outside. It had been crushed in transit and I couldn't get it back into shape. Also it was too small for my head.
It did, however, have a white silk ribbon stuck onto it, which I removed and put onto another hat I managed to find in a charity shop.

I had some problems with the braces initially - the clasp at the back which clamps onto the waistband of your trousers fell apart the first time I opened it. I carefully put it back together & then used a pair of pliers to bend the metal bits enough to hold it all together. I then had no problems with the braces all night (aside from the fact that they pulled my trousers up so far I got wedgie).

The moustache stayed firmly stuck on for about 2 hours. I don't have much experience of stick on moustaches, but I thought this was pretty good.
However it was actually quite uncomfortable - having something stuck on your top lip makes smiling or any sort of facial expression quite difficult.

Crucial 2GB PC3-8500 DDR3 Sodimm Laptop Memory Upgrade 204-pin
Crucial 2GB PC3-8500 DDR3 Sodimm Laptop Memory Upgrade 204-pin

5.0 out of 5 stars Works with MacBook, 21 Dec 2011
I've installed 2 of these into my 2010 model white Macbook, and I can say there have been no problems at all since the upgrade.

The Crucial website recommended a different part number for my macbook (crucial recommended CT898327, whereas the part number for these is CT25664BC1067).
However, when I checked the technical details for the two part numbers, I couldn't see any differences. So decided to give these a go, and they're working just fine!

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Speedo Goggles, 24 Jun 2011
I used to swim several times a week from the age of 8 - 12, and I had a pair of speedo goggles back then which I loved - they were some of the first anti-mist goggles available at the time, and they never let me down.

Recently, I've gotten back into swimming, and was looking for an equally good quality, reliable pair of goggles.
I went for these, and haven't been dissapointed.
There were 3 different sized nose bridge bits supplied, and I immediatley put on the largest one.
I've since used these for roughly 4 hours of swimming so far, and they have never misted up, leaked or slipped out of place.

There is one small drawback, which is the reason I can't give these 5 stars. The fit of the goggles is a little tight around my eyes, so they dig into the soft bits around the eye balls a bit.
At first I found this very uncomfortable, but I'm starting to get used to it. However, I do find that after swimming for more than 20mins, I have red rings around my eyes, which looks a bit odd.
Maybe this is just because I haven't worn goggles for many years, and maybe in time my eyes will toughen up a bit.

Overall, I'm very happy with these goggles!

Fold Away Light Mini Backpack Rucksack
Fold Away Light Mini Backpack Rucksack

1.0 out of 5 stars It fell apart..., 24 Jun 2011
I was looking for a packaway backpack for holidays - I figured I might want to head off to the beach and take a towel and a spare t-shirt with me etc. I thought this bag looked ideal and decided to try it out.

First impressions were good - it packed away very well, and although it didn't seem particularly robust, I figured it could handle lightweight items. I was wrong!

I took it to a kickboxing class twice (each time carrying a hand towel & my kickboxing belt). The walk from my flat to the kickboxing class is about 100 meters - so not exactly a tough test.
The first time I used it, the stitching around the zip started to come loose. I don't beleive this was from me opening or closing the zip (I was very careful when I did that) - I think it was simply from the weight of the hand towel in the bag stretching out the stitching.

The second time I used it, on the way to my kickboxing class, one of the shoulder straps frayed at the point where it meets the bottom of the bag.
On the way home, it snapped.
Again, I believe the weight of the hand towel was too much for the bag.

It ended up in the bin.
If you're looking for a bag to carry anything heavier than a couple of feathers, then I wouldn't recommend this.

Page: 1 | 2