Profile for Mr. C. Edge > Reviews

Content by Mr. C. Edge

Mr. C. Edge "A concerned student" (Cambridge)

Creative X-Fi Xtreme Audio Notebook Soundcard
Creative X-Fi Xtreme Audio Notebook Soundcard

2.0 out of 5 stars Such a pity, 24 April 2008
Having used the suburb Audigy 2 ZS Notebook (PCMCIA PC Card) for almost a year now, I replaced it with this X-Fi model when I replaced my notebook for one supporting only Express Cards. All I can say is I wish I hadn't. I have played around with the sound settings for weeks and still cannot get it the way I want it, compared to the ZS this outputs lack-luster, almost tinny music, which as a classical fan is unacceptable. The fact that this card doesn't come with the necessary 5.1 speaker docking cables is a disgrace, what's more it will not connect with those supplied with the Audigy 2 ZS; a tactical oversight on Creatives part no-doubt. I have resorted to plugging the single (green) cable directly into my laptops on-board sound card output and making do with 2.1 for the time being.

There are some decent features with this model, the crystalliser seems to work nicely, but there again the control panel for the sound output is a silly retro Hi-Fi system design, so annoying pretentious. I intend to take this back to the shop and get an external USB card, regrettably probably from Creative, and hope my next notebook can use PCMCIA cards.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 1, 2010 11:56 PM GMT

Needful Things [DVD] [1994] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Needful Things [DVD] [1994] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Max von Sydow
Offered by river-city-books-us

4.0 out of 5 stars The Damed Sydow Rules, 5 Jun 2007
This is one of my favorite films, not least because of the intelligence with which it is brought to the screen, and also I love Max von Sydow as, well, his character. Throughout the film he has a radiant menace which climaxes at the grim finale to reveal his malevolent nature. I really feel he enjoys playing this part; although he is the only actor to have played both God and the Devil. As a story, its predictable, simply because some of the things that occur simply have to happen, like the good sheriff standing up at the end to restore sanity, but this is forgotten when one sees the panache with which it is achieved.

I maintain this is an excellent King adaptation, one of the best indeed, well worth buying. The only problem is the blasted lack of a British DVD version; we want a Region 2 copy Dam it!

Vivaldi: The Four Seasons/3 Concertos from Op.3
Vivaldi: The Four Seasons/3 Concertos from Op.3

4.0 out of 5 stars A recording with a spring in its step, 6 Mar 2007
Don't be put off by the lack of a big name on this recording, it really is an excellent rendition; the playing is soulful and the direction is, I think, top notch. Its also interesting to hear the other works by the composer; indeed it seems they have paled into obscurity by the shadow of Vivaldi's undoubtable masterpiece, which is a shame. Do buy this; for five pounds its a steal, but at the end of the day, if you're a perfectionist then pay a little extra for one of the finer recordings.
Its interesting to note however, the relatively resent nature of this/these pieces; Vivaldi has a whole host of sacred music to his name, but I have never once seen such music championed, a pity really.

Sony SRF-M10 Super Slim FM Digital Tuner Personal Radio
Sony SRF-M10 Super Slim FM Digital Tuner Personal Radio

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - and so small!, 4 Mar 2007
Believe what you see, this is indeed as small as it looks, but it comes with a whole lot of features; not only is FM digitaly tuner (which makes a big difference) but there is Bass and preset features. I have owned this now for three years and the again semi-digital radio it replaced has not been out of moth-balls since. Have no quarms about buying this, only thing is; how much longer with FM be about?