Profile for Pedro the Llama > Reviews

A Time To Kill
A Time To Kill
by John Grisham

1.0 out of 5 stars Dear Lawdy, 4 Dec. 2009
This review is from: A Time To Kill (Paperback)
I can barely even be bothered to write a review for this awful book. I am British and even I felt it was written to fill every preconception anyone can have of the Southern States. There was a brief description given of what was going to happen to the two rapists when they reached jail and the other inmates got their hands on them. It sounded awful beyond comprehension. Yet Carl Lee Hailey decided against that and gave them a quick death. Should have let them go to jail and take a far worse punishment and saved everyone this book.

Read to Kill a Mockingbrd instead. Beautifully written and crafted with likeable and believable characters. I didn't even like the main character of Jake Brigance in a Time to Kill.....

Just plain awful

Proof [1991]
Proof [1991]

3.0 out of 5 stars Quirky little film, 30 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Proof [1991] (DVD)
Sweet, strange and funny little film about a blind photographer and his obsessive 'Mrs Danvers' style home help. Worth watching a very young Russell Crowe starting out

A Date with Death: The Fatal Transformation of Jane Andrews, Royal Confidante and Killer
by Allan Starkie

2.0 out of 5 stars Jane Andrews, 30 Nov. 2009
This is a strange book, all the way through it I could only envisage the author saying "Ding Dong" Leslie Phillips style whilst standing outside a sixth form college for girls. He came across as that sort of character. The book seems to be about his sexual conquests and his 'relationship' as he put it with Fergie than anything else.

If anything his character assasination of Jane Andrews served only to make me feel quite sorry for her, the four year seduction of him by Jane seemed to consist of a rather tawdry fumble in a hotel room (which I am not too sure I believe happened) than any great love affair.

Don't read this book, it left me feeling rather unclean. Two lives have been destroyed, whether through cold, calculated, premeditated murder or an act of temporary insanity, I am not sure and no one apart from Jane Andrews ever will be.

Mr Starkie seemed to be just another person who used her to suit his own ends, whether it was to gain access to Fergie when she was cold shouldering him or to boost his ego when needed.

Dismal.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 19, 2010 11:53 PM GMT

Coincidence (And Likely Stories)
Coincidence (And Likely Stories)

4.0 out of 5 stars Late one night, 23 Nov. 2009
Late one night I couldn't sleep and turned the radio on, the song Goodnight was playing and it just stuck in my head. I tracked down the cd and am sooo glad I did.

Put it on, lie back in the dark and just listen to tracks like "The Big Ones Get Away' and 'Goodnight'. Complete and utter perfection.

Only wish I could sing like that......................

Hilary and Jackie
Hilary and Jackie
by Hilary Du Pré

4.0 out of 5 stars Troubled genius, 23 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Hilary and Jackie (Paperback)
I have read Carol Easton's biography of Du Pre and thought she was maybe a little enamoured of her subject to give a real warts and all account. Piers and Hilary have attempted to. The desciptions of their childhood seems to be a lesson in how not to bring up children. Isolated from the outside world despite the endless descriptions of scrumptious teas and beach holidays, the idyll portrayed did not quite sit with me. I waited for tales of birthday parties, sleep overs with friends, discovering fashion and discovering cider, cinema trips on Saturdays etc etc, normal rites of passage through childhood to teenagerhood.

None of this really happened. Music was everything, even the father seemed to be elbowed out and Piers comes across as a rather lonely little boy, the writing is easy to follow and the authors' candour is to be admired. Hilary and Piers were not as talented as Jackie and that did seem to make them less important in their mother's eyes, but Jackie does come across as spoilt and overindulged, a few normal activities I think should have been implemented where she was not the centre of attention and did not involve music.

It is difficult to believe that someone can go through life without ever being told no, and that included her 'need' to bed her sister's husband. It was painful reading the reception her parents got when they greeted her at the house in France after she had travelled down with Kiffer (Kiffer? I mean purrlease, use your real name). Maybe a united front as a family telling her to grow up and stop sulking or get over it might have helped.

A good read, a painful read and sometimes frustrating read. The whole 'Enid Blyton' childhood that Hilary tries to conjure up, as I said before, does not quite gel, Jackie disliked school, so she was allowed to stay home, Mum did her washing, ironing and housekeeping well into Jackie's adulthood, Jackie was unable to travel alone even a short distance from home because Mum took her everywhere. There is childlike innocence and there is dangerous cosseting. Music was the be all and end all of Jackie's life when it should have been a part of it. A flawed genuis, but most of her problems do seem to stem from being isolated from life and 'normal' people. Never put any child on a pedestal, no matter how special or talented, nuture their talent but let them skin their knees, have friends, get muddy and have a childhood.

One small thing that did grate after a while was the 'baby talk' and little nicknames the family seemed to indulge in, this quickly becomes rather cloying, but Hilary does mention that their grandmother also found it an irritation, eg. a grown man carrying on a childhood nickname into adulthood, Kiffer, because he could not pronounce Christopher as a child. Such whimsy is sometimes best left behind.

I ended up rather disliking Jackie, which I am sure was not Hilary and Piers aim, but I found it very, very difficult to empathise with her. Her life was tragically short and her death slow and painful, she brought joy into peoples' lives but was denied the happiness she craved, but ulitmately as the Beatles said, 'the love you take is equal to the love you make'. Jackie just seemed to take a bit more than she gave.

Loving John
Loving John
by May Pang

3.0 out of 5 stars A tad frustrating at times, 20 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Loving John (Paperback)
I have read many books about The Beatles including, Cynthia Lennon's and Patti Boyd's autobiographies. This book is a very similar read and just as exasperating. Did none of these women stand up for themselves? May Pang's story just echoes theirs. Being used as a doormat, picked up, dropped, cheated on, manipulated, used and abused etc.

I just wanted one example where she fought back, told him EXACTLY what she thought and felt, not tell the reader how she thought and felt after yet another bout of appalling selfishness at the hands of the Lennons. I have quite rapidly come to the conclusion a few more people should have told the Lennon's to go take a hike, it might have made them nicer people. Or even better she could have just unplugged the phone when she was alone with John so Yoko couldn't get through. A mind blowing thought!

A good insiders tale but be prepared for a few frustrations

Dead Set [DVD] [2008]
Dead Set [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Jaime Winstone
Offered by DVD Overstocks

3.0 out of 5 stars Some salt with that?, 20 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Dead Set [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
What always seems to happen in zombie films is that they LEAVE the safe place where they are hiding to GET to another place.

Ok - in this film it is was based in the Big Brother house so the contestants are totally unaware of the events unfolding outside.

A production assistant escapes the massacre by hiding in an office and eventually making it into the Big Brother house with the contestants and tells them what is happening. Obviously they have leave the safety of the house several times to get things from chemists etc, otherwise there would be no story. The boss is such a vile character you cannot wait for him to die.

Another couple find safety in a country house that is surrounded by a large wall and thick metal gates. They have plenty of food, drink and are totally safe. They decide though to take a small boat down the river to get to the Big Brother house because the bloke's girlfriend is the production assistant that has managed to escape there and he sees her on the TV still alive. Guess what happens?

The people in the Big Brother house decide to try and leave - they take no supplies, they have no plan of where to go, they take no warm clothing and the women are wearing little dresses and very high heels. Most of them die before going back to the safety of the house that they should not have left. All the screaming and shouting they do at each other alerts ever increasing numbers of zombies. Being quiet does not occur to them

So the pattern always is leave safety and then go and get eaten. All the radio, news, government reports etc have urged people to NOT VENTURE OUT, SEEK SHELTER, BARRICADE ALL DOORS AND WINDOWS AND DO NOT GO OUT.

My plan of action would be to barricade all doors and windows and not go out. I would take all internal doors off their hinges and nail them across doors and windows, the fridge would be against the back door, bookcases across the patio door, dining table upended and leant across them. I would remove all lightbulbs incase a split second moment of forgetfulness caused me to alert the zombies of my presence. For the same reason all electrical items would be unplugged, a clock radio blaring out suddenly would be stupid ( if the electricity is still working). I would use the wind up radio to listen for news (quietly) and surround my self with heavy objects such as pokers, but GOING OUT would not be an option. I would ration food and water and stay quiet.

Also what I would like to happen is that having never fired a gun in my life I become an instant crackshot when I acquire one. I also know without being told how to reload in a split second whilst running. This is a skill I might need.

NOT THAT I WOULD GO OUT THOUGH!

I would also NOT GO OUT unless being dragged out by my ankles by flesh eating zombies because they have breached my defences.

The reason they have breached my defences is because they know I am there because I have knocked over piles of metal saucepans onto a tiled floor, a clock radio has blared into life because I did not unplug it and my bloke and I have been having a constant screaming argument because being very, very, very quiet has not occurred to us. The argument would be about him wanting to GO OUT without a plan, supplies, weapons etc whilst I was wearing heels and a little black dress to another 'safe' place and me not wanting to GO OUT and leave the perfectly safe place we are in.

So in the case of most zombie films, the above is the plot line, which makes Shaun of the Dead my favourite zombie film because the writers acknowledged nearly all of the above. This is okay though, watch it when it comes on the telly
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 29, 2010 9:35 AM BST

Betty Blue - Director's Cut   [1986] [DVD]
Betty Blue - Director's Cut [1986] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Beatrice Dalle
Offered by ajdiscs

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite films, 20 Nov. 2009
The viewer gets an early glimpse of Betty's psyche when her way of telling her boyfriend she wants to move is by burning down the house. Tragic, beautiful, complicated yet simple, many words describe Betty Blue but few really truly encapsulate the essence of her character. Ultimately doomed, the film depicts her slow and very real descent into her own personal hell.

This film has laugh out loud moments woven around a tragic story. The camerawork is sublime and there is not a bad actor in it. French film making at it's best. A true classic.

Breakfast At Tiffany's (Anniversary Edition) [DVD] [1961]
Breakfast At Tiffany's (Anniversary Edition) [DVD] [1961]
Dvd ~ Audrey Hepburn
Offered by FREETIME

1.0 out of 5 stars Who decided this was a classic?, 20 Nov. 2009
I think maybe I am not a complete woman because I seem to be the only member of my sex to dislike Audrey Hepburn. I find this film buttock clenchingly awful, dated, unfunny and Mickey Rooney's 'character' unwatchable. Never mind the 'party scene' where the drunk woman laughs and cries alternately

Why is this a 'classic'? Who said? Fashion designers? As far as I can see the clothes are the only thing going for it. Marilyn Monroe was offered the part of Holly Golightly, she would have been perfect in the role.

I must be missing something or am I one of the few who are not scared to say this.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 11, 2013 3:21 PM BST

Nikita [DVD] [1990]
Nikita [DVD] [1990]
Dvd ~ Anne Parillaud
Offered by TwoRedSevens

5.0 out of 5 stars Only the French......., 20 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Nikita [DVD] [1990] (DVD)
Only the French could invent a heroine like Nikita, tragic, mad, dangerous but ultimately vunerable. Watch this film, the scene where she is walking home from her 'date' with the rain pouring down, her stockings shredded and mascara streaming down her face. If this was Hollywood, she would have a slightly torn dress and a tiny cut over one eye.

A shocking film but a must see. One of my favourites but only watch it with subtitles, not the dubbed version.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6