Profile for Mr O > Reviews

Two for the Road (1967) Dual Format (Blu-ray & DVD) [Masters of Cinema]
Two for the Road (1967) Dual Format (Blu-ray & DVD) [Masters of Cinema]
Dvd ~ Audrey Hepburn

5.0 out of 5 stars Still all all time favourite, 13 May 2015
This is one of my favourite movies of all time. I first saw it as a youth on it's original release. I was blown away by the locations, the filming, editing, story line. This is the movie that made me an Audrey Hepburn tragic. It was the coolest of the cool at the time. The car, the clothes, the styling and the Cote Azur and Provence countryside. But is also had depth. Although the advertising gave the impression that this was another romantic comedy, it is really a drama. It has a hard edge that has to a lot to say for modern relationships. Now and then. The script is really great and the acting of a high standard in most cases. Particularly Audrey Hepburn. I believe this to be one of her best performances. Albert Finney is also very good although not an altogether likable character. Eleanor Bron and William Daniels are both very effective and very funny as the Maxwell-Manchesters. The movie is showing its age a bit maybe because it was such a movie of it's time. So hip and Euro 60's. And the theme music is just beautiful. Henry Mancini once said that it was his favourite movie score of his music and I would have to agree.

This Blu-ray version is great. Fantastic quality and the commentary by director Stanley Donen is worth a listen.

Free Fall [DVD]
Free Fall [DVD]
Dvd ~ Hanno Koffler
Offered by fat_buddha

4.0 out of 5 stars Heartbreaking but affirming, 13 May 2015
This review is from: Free Fall [DVD] (DVD)
Love this film. An original storyline and quite believeable. Also very well acted and directed. You really do feel for all the characters, straight and gay. Well maybe not the homophobic cop. But certainly the three main characters and the predicament each finds themselves in. Intelligent gay film making. Weel worth a view.

Hawaii [DVD]
Hawaii [DVD]
Dvd ~ Marco Berger
Offered by Gayfilmlover

4.0 out of 5 stars Be charmed and seduced, 13 May 2015
This review is from: Hawaii [DVD] (DVD)
I was totally charmed by this movie as I was by the other Marco Berger film I have seen, Plan B. I do like his films and will now follow up on Absent. They move at a slow languid pace without much of a story line but are beguiling. Also very real. The protagonists slowly but surely come to the realisation of their attraction to each other but it takes time for that first move to happen. As a result, there maybe no sex, but the tension is very erotic. You are left memorised waiting for the inevitable to happen and thank god it does. Nothing like a gay movie minus the stereotypes and with a happy ending. The performances here are very good. It is more or less a two hander and both actors equip themselves admirably. Can't wait for his next movie which I understand will be Butterfly.

Plan B [DVD]
Plan B [DVD]
Dvd ~ Manuel Vignau

4.0 out of 5 stars Slow paced but also rivetting, 24 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Plan B [DVD] (DVD)
I enjoyed this movie. It is all about relationships and interpersonal relationships and interactions and doesn't move fast. However it is well written, directed and acted and interest is maintained throughout as well as a level of "suspense" in second guessing where it will go or end. One of the more original gay themed movies. Also beautiful cinematography.

Monster Pies [DVD]
Monster Pies [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tristan Barr
Offered by Gayfilmlover

2.0 out of 5 stars Earnest attempt however........., 1 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Monster Pies [DVD] (DVD)
This was obviously made with a lot of passion for telling a gay story. As an Australian I was interested in seeing a home made gay movie but in the end I was disappointed. The direction was somewhat uneven and many scenes didn't work and could have been dropped and some of the other characters were less than convincing. i,e. anything to do with the video shop and that ridiculous woman. Made no contribution at all and poorly acted. The theme of star crossed lovers was a bit too contrived to be real. The acting of the leads was OK, particularly Lucas Lineham as Will. Eventually it was a miss and I can understand that I had never heard of the film before. Would have loved to rate it higher but just couldn't

Cleopatra [Blu-ray] [1963] [Region Free]
Cleopatra [Blu-ray] [1963] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Elizabeth Taylor

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than remembered, 28 Jan. 2014
I had not seen Cleopatra in many years. Hell, many decades. And I had forgotten that it is much better than its reputation would have you believe when you dispense with all media stories associated with Taylor and Burton at the time. I enjoyed very much the extra that put all that into prespective and killed off some of the myths. The acting is very credible as is the script and I had also forgotten the intricacies of the historical facts, as much as we can know them now. Fanatastic production values if only a bit camp. Enjoyed the re-viewing of this movie very much. High quality restoration as well on blu-ray. Well worth viewing.

Downton Abbey - Series 4 [Blu-ray]
Downton Abbey - Series 4 [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Maggie Smith

4.0 out of 5 stars Still can't resist, 28 Jan. 2014
THis maybe series 4 but I still have to watch this series and as far as I am concerned if we ever get to series 100, as if, I would still be watching. Simply irresistible. Love the characters and the prodcution values and the acting and and and.......... Keep them coming. I buy the DVD's for Amazon UK becasue I can't wait for their delayed broadcasts here in Australia and I can view without the bloody ads.

Downton Abbey: The London Season (Christmas Special 2013) [DVD]
Downton Abbey: The London Season (Christmas Special 2013) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Hugh Bonneville

5.0 out of 5 stars Guilty pleasurues., 28 Jan. 2014
As the quote on the cover of the DVD box says; "Resistance is futile". Is is the quality of the acting, or the quality of the production , or the quality of the writing that makes irresistible viewing. I always bang on about how aweful soaps are, but this is THE soap to al soaps.

Lawrence of Arabia (Blu-ray + UV Copy) [1962] [Region Free]
Lawrence of Arabia (Blu-ray + UV Copy) [1962] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Peter O'Toole

5.0 out of 5 stars Still one if the best, 10 Sept. 2013
This film has stood the test of time very well. The production values, especially the cinematography, are first rate and the remastered film is a joy to watch. The script is first rate and the acting is just great and that is why it has aged so well in comparison to some it's contemporaries. This is the film that introduced Peter O'Toole to the world and what a debut! Top notch characterisation. It was also Omar Shariff's English language debut and I don't think he has done better since. The scenery is Jordan is breathtaking. I never tire of this film. One of the best.

The Dark Knight Rises (Blu-ray + UV Copy) [2012] [Region Free]
The Dark Knight Rises (Blu-ray + UV Copy) [2012] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Christian Bale
Offered by rsdvd

3.0 out of 5 stars Take's itself far too seriously, 10 Sept. 2013
I enjoyed watching this film but found some segments just far too wordy. The script took itself far too seriously and was verged on the corny in some parts. I found myself about to laugh out loud. Good versus bad is what the film is all about however we don't need it spelt out in bold and underlined for us. We get it. Especially in dealing with the Joseph Gordon-Levitt character. I bit too evangelistic. I was waiting for him to sprout white feathered wings! Cringe worthy actually. All the fault of the script. Otherwise a fitting end to the Christopher Nolan trilogy. Good direction, generally good acting and very good production values. Enjoyable.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4