Profile for gARThIbiza > Reviews

gARThIbiza (Ibiza)

Open: An Autobiography
Open: An Autobiography
by Andre Agassi

5.0 out of 5 stars "Open" the perfect title, as he most certainly is …..., 16 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Open: An Autobiography (Paperback)
What a great book ! Whilst travelling in Australia, picked up a copy to glance through it, read a chapter, and couldn't put it down !
I should add that I am not a tennis, nor Agassi fan, although after reading the book I really got to like the man. He is so candid in his self appraisal, and the story reveals how "growing up" can turn adversary into commitment, and talent can be grown, given the right mental state. Aside from this the book is most entertaining, hope you will enjoy it as I did !

The Dark Stuff: Selected Writings on Rock Music 1972-1993
The Dark Stuff: Selected Writings on Rock Music 1972-1993
by Nick Kent

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining insights !, 16 Oct. 2014
Another great book from Nick Kent. Having read his "Apathy for the devil" which covers his experiences during the seventies in a most entertaining manner, with a few references to this book, I decided to go ahead and buy it through Amazon, where I found a good used copy for 3 pence ! ( postage to me in Spain was £4 ) exceptional value. The book covers interviews and recollections of various "Stars" of the period, and if you enjoyed the music, you will most likely enjoy the information regarding the characters who created it. I particularily enjoyed learning more about Miles Davis, Roy Orbison & Phil Spector. Enjoy !

The (Unofficial) Google Nexus 5 SmartPhone Book: The missing manual for LG's Android 4.4 KitKat phone
by UnofficialBooks

2.0 out of 5 stars Is there an "Official" guide ?, 13 May 2014
A bit disappointed with this, I learned a few things, but not much. I think that there is still quite a lot more to know about this phone, but something with more depth is needed. Also some of the operations appear to have changed since the book was written. You get the feeling that whatever the author wanted to know/learn about with the Nexus 5, he managed, but that there's more to it …
I have had my 5 for about 5 weeks and think it's a great product, especially if you don't want a Sumsung S4 or I-phone 5 like everyone else.

LG Nexus 5 UK Smartphone - Black (16GB)
LG Nexus 5 UK Smartphone - Black (16GB)

4.0 out of 5 stars New owner Nexus 5 phone, 5 April 2014
I am writing as a new owner, having ordered my Nexus from Google direct. I considered Amazon, but at the time the price was more and the delivery more, than buying it directly from Google themselves. However, 48 hours after I placed my order, Amazon cut their price by £45 so in hindsight, I should have waited 48 hours.
Google despatched my phone to me by UPS, which caused me so much trouble, as where I live, on Ibiza, they have a depot,
but ( can you believe this ? ) no phone number !! After missing out on the delivery man, i noticed that they had attempted delivery by looking on line. For UPS information in Spain, there is only one phone ( premium rate ) number, in Madrid. I called to find out the number of their Ibiza office only to be told they have no phone number there ! They said they would have them contact me within the hour. They didn't contact me, so I called back. This call used up all my credit whilst they left me on hold. I went out and bought 10 €ufo credit, and called them back. They some time, gave me an address. I set tout to find the place, and eventually did, but they had given me the wrong address ! The three short phone calls cost me €10.
I suggest that if you want to buy one of these great phones you do it through Amazon. I have bought many things through them, and always found their service first rate and their customer service spot on.
Google on the other hand gave me, courtesy of UPS a dreadful experience + I can find NO way to get in touch with them to express my feelings towards their "service"
The phone ? Well, still early days, but so far I love it. It feels so nice in your hand, with the quality of operation and response, like an I-phone 5s at half the price. It seems that everyone I meet has either a Galaxy S4 or I-phone 5s, and I was looking for a premium product a little bit different. The screen is delightful, and everything seems to work so well ………. Time will tell.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 6, 2014 9:58 AM BST

Some Kind Of Trouble
Some Kind Of Trouble

3.0 out of 5 stars Some kind of ............ ?, 14 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Some Kind Of Trouble (Audio CD)
Ok, this is the second Cd I have bought from Mr Blunt, the first being "All the lost souls"
Frankly, I don't enjoy this nearly as much. This is a more light hearted/throwaway effort compared to the first Cd I bought.
It's not that it's bad, but I was surprised at the quality of most of the songs on "All the lost souls"
But I guess if you are a Blunt fan, you will also enjoy this offering............

Photoshop Elements 8 for Mac OS X: Visual QuickStart Guide (Visual QuickStart Guides)
by Jeff Carlson

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth buying !, 23 Aug. 2011
I bought the Teach Yourself Visually book, by Mike Wooldridge, for use with Elements 8 on my Mac computer, but found that it did not relate to Mac systems.
So, perhaps it was my fault, it's not that book.
Bought this book by Jeff Carlson, not as well illustrated, but it works well with the Mac, and seems to cover most of the program.
Worth the investment, will get you moving quickly with the software.

D'Addario EJ45C Pro-Arte Composites Normal  (.028-.044) Classical Guitar Strings
D'Addario EJ45C Pro-Arte Composites Normal (.028-.044) Classical Guitar Strings

5.0 out of 5 stars Great strings !, 23 Aug. 2011
I have used D'Addario EJ 26 for many years on my Ovation guitar, and find they give the best tone, for my ears.
Tried these on my La Patrie "Concert" spanish style acoustic, and the tone is wonderful !
Sweet, rich & clear, and I think, worth the extra money.

Solwise 3G Antenna 9Dbi Huawei Connector
Solwise 3G Antenna 9Dbi Huawei Connector

3.0 out of 5 stars Unsure .........., 23 Aug. 2011
Bought this as we have variable signal quality, and thought that any improvement in signal, must equate to better performance.
Not sure it's true.
If it's unplugged and the signal becomes poor, then plugging it it, doesn't seem to make any improvement.
It's well made, well packed, and for some may bring better reception.

Head Solid 5 Mens Swim Briefs - Royal, Size 38
Head Solid 5 Mens Swim Briefs - Royal, Size 38
Offered by BlueWaterSports

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice trunks, shame about the size !, 23 Aug. 2011
The trunks are fine, but the size is not !
I am a 36, but after reading comments from other reviewers, ordered 38, in fact should have ordered 40".
How on earth can their measurements be so far wrong ?
Have they washed their tape measure in the washing machine, at the wrong temperature, and it's shrunk ?

Canon IXUS 310 HS Digital Camera - Silver (12.1MP, 4.4x Optical Zoom) 3.2 inch Touchscreen LCD

5.0 out of 5 stars Minature Marvel, 12 April 2011
This is the fourth Canon digital Ixus model I have bought, and each model gets better !
I was considering the Canon S95 for a while, and about to buy one, when this model was announced. I am a professional photographer, and have sold many images from the previous Ixus models, but always wanted to have a manual over ride + a wider lens. This has both, with either shutter speed or aperture selection, and a 24mm equivalent ( f2 )lens. Also, over the S95, has HD movie WITH stereo sound.
Only received the camera yesterday, but the results so far are excellent !
The movie quality on my flat screen tv, it superb, and another feature it has over every other compact I have used, is that after starting to make a movie clip, if you move around, both the exposure and the focus make corrections, which the previous models I owned, never did.
Having been a keen photographer since 1963, I am amazed at the spec/quality/value of todays digital compact cameras. Anyone can take this out of the box, and set to Auto produce exceptional images.
And that is what photography is ALL about !
Enjoy ............. garthibiza.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 17, 2011 10:09 AM BST