Profile for Helena > Reviews

Vegan with a Vengeance: Over 150 Delicious, Cheap, Animal-free Recipes
by Isa Chandra Moskowitz
Price: 6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Get the American version instead, 22 Sep 2007
The recipes in this book are fantastic and I recommend it highly. However, if you can, I have to recommend the US version over this one. This version does not have any pictures, whereas the US version has a section with full color pictures of the prepared recipes. Worse is that in this version the typography is awful. The letters are orange and and red and the typeface is much too wide. This makes the instructions hard to read (thankfully, the ingredients are set in a more conventional typeface), and it makes the book look a bit cheap. The fact that some pages have a reddish tint near the top adds to the cheapness.

A benefit of this version over the US version for European readers is that this version measures the ingredients by weight (both grams/liters and oz's) instead of by cups, so if that is important to you, I still recommend this version. Be aware that the conversion from cups to grams can be a bit off sometimes. For example, one cup of flour is converted to 115 grams. In my experience, a cup can also be 140 grams, depending on the type of flour.

Either way, the recipes are wonderful and I liked the personal touch of the author.

Edited to add that I do not agree with the two negative reviews that have been written after mine, and I was surprised to read them, because actually what I like most about the book is that many recipes are so easy to make (there are some exceptions, of course) and that there are not many pasta/pizza dishes. Also: I guess they are a staple in vegan cookbooks, but I don't own them and never had a decent vegan pancake before, so I liked those recipes as well. There are four waffle and four pancake recipes, I would hardly call that "ad infinitum". Your meaning may vary of course. My current favorites are the carrot soup and the braised cauliflower, and the coconut cupcakes were a big hit with all the non-vegan people that ate them. The chocolate pudding is so easy to make and tasty, I don't think I'll ever buy chocolate pudding in a store again.

I recommend people to check out the "look inside the book" feature on the amazon.com (not uk) website to check out some recipes and see the table of contents, so that they can decide for themselves.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 18, 2013 3:26 PM GMT