Profile for Liza McCarron > Reviews

Liza McCarron

Brewing Britain: The quest for the perfect pint
Brewing Britain: The quest for the perfect pint
by Andy Hamilton

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal Christmas present for anyone who likes beer!, 27 Nov. 2013
I bought this for my partner for Christmas and have ended up wanting to read it myself after dipping into a few chapters. It's full of interesting information and the recipes look well researched. I think this book can be enjoyed equally both by those who actually want to brew and by those who just want to sit and think about it! I'm looking forward to finishing this book once the Christmas present recipient has finished it and if he doesn't try out some of the brews I just might.....

Ding Dong! The Witch Is Dead
Ding Dong! The Witch Is Dead

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it again and again...., 12 April 2013
I wasn't going to buy this until I heard PM last night on Radio 4 where the woman speaking against the BBC playing this if it rises up teh charts said "it's not as if most people buying it were even alive whether Mrs T was PM...". Well, I was - I'm 45 now so I remember most of it in technicolour.. I hope it makes number 1 not becasue I am happy at the deathj of an 87 year old woman but because of the disgusting tory triumphalism and most of all because of the travesity of the state (sorry, ceremonial... ) funeral!

Hana Walker's Half-Life 2:46
Hana Walker's Half-Life 2:46

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping story, very evocative of Japan, 24 Jun. 2012
I enjoyed this very much. I started following Our Man in Abiko on Twitter and blog at the time of the March 2011 Earthquake and Tsunami as my partners son was in Japan and we wanted to find out what was going on away from the hysteria of the western press. Through him I learned about 2: 46 Aftershocks English-Japanese (Bilingual) Edition and when I heard about his plans for this book I was very much looking forward to it...

I haven't been disappointed! The story pulled me in with Hana as an interesting and sympathetic heroine. As the details of her life slowly unfold and the story progresses Our Man paints an evocative picture of modern day Japan which will resonate with anyone who has spent any time there. The blend of humour and serious topics, the plot twists and the well observed and often affectionate details of Japanese life were well executed. The parts of the book that deal with the events around the Tsunami are sensitively done and thankfully avoid some of the sentimentality and mawkishness I have read in some accounts. I found this to be an impressive and enjoyable novel - leaving me with questions which make me eagerly await a sequel about Hana and her world.

Orange - Pay As You Go - Text Saver - 1825 Text
Orange - Pay As You Go - Text Saver - 1825 Text

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a review, but a question...., 4 Feb. 2004
does any one know if this can be used by orange contract customers - especially those on OVP plans?
thanks