Profile for Justin Steed > Reviews

Content by Justin Steed

Justin Steed (Paris, France)

Page: 1 | 2
God Help The Girl (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
God Help The Girl (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)

4.0 out of 5 stars Like a new pair of your old favourite jeans., 5 Sep 2014
The first GHTG album is one of my favourites - it's as close to perfection as it gets. So hearing basically the same album performed by the same music and but sung by different vocalists is strange to say the least.

Obviously it's a soundtrack album, and I'll have to wait for the DVD to see how the story influences the way some of the songs are sung. But overall it's pretty decent. Emily Browning is competent, but she's no Catherine Ireton (the brilliant vocalist on much of the original album). But frankly Hannah Murray (I assume), who sings 'I just want your jeans' among others isn't very good - very nasal and terrible phrasing.

Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover for iPad 2, iPad 3 and iPad (4th Generation) - Black
Offered by Mystic UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Important tip when setting up, 10 Dec 2012
I just bought this as a stopgap while my Macbook is being repaired following an embarrassing (and expensive) accident with a can of diet Coke. I set it up in my office, which is full of people using wifi connections a Bluetooth-enabled devices, and I found I had the widely reported problem of keys sticking - so you would get things like thisssssssssssssssssssss happening all the time. I was on the point of taking the thing back to the store, when I thought I would try it in a rather less interference-filled environment, just to see if it worked properly there.

Not only did it work there, but I've also found that it now works at my desk (where I'm typing it from now). So if you have the same problem hopefully this fix will work for you too.

Otherwise it's great - I think it will be a great weight-saver on weekends away and so on - though I'm highly dubious that the magnet to fix it to the ipad is anywhere like strong enough. I'll be keeping my smart case I think...

Total: From Joy Division To New Order
Total: From Joy Division To New Order

2.0 out of 5 stars Cynical, not total., 6 Jun 2011
The world really doesn't need another New Order/Joy Division greatest hits album - especially not one that doesn't bring anything new bar a song so poor it was rejected from their worst album.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 8, 2011 6:41 AM BST

Philips NP1100/05 Network Music Player with Wireless Music Streaming, Internet Radio and Digital Sound Output

4.0 out of 5 stars Careful!, 22 April 2010
Being a bit of an idiot I bought this, plugged it in, set it up, tuned it to my favourite station and... nothing.

You need to connect it to your amp or, in my case as I was buying it to use in the kitchen, get a pair of computer speakers. It's not terribly clear that it has no speakers of its own.

That said, it's great! Just watch out when you're putting in your network password - it's easy to put a space at the end without really realising it, which may explain other comments about it not setting up wirelessly.

Buckaroo
Buckaroo

4.0 out of 5 stars Didn't have the same problem, 30 July 2007
This review is from: Buckaroo (Toy)
I read the review above, and I think the reviewer must just have been unlucky. I've certainly not had the problem he experiences.

In fact, the only problem I have is that my five-year-old gets too excited to play properly!

TomTom One UK GPS Navigation System With UK Mapping
TomTom One UK GPS Navigation System With UK Mapping

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly amazing. Buy one now!, 3 Aug 2006
I live in Paris, and just got a company car. Being a bit nervous about driving here, and not reall knowing the lie of the land, I bought a TomTom One.

Well, it's fantastic. It gives unbelievably accurate instructions, telling you to turn at exactly the right moment (important in a dense big-city road network), and making journeys that would be very stressful almost completely painless. The painful parts aren't really in its remit - I still have to deal with Parisian drivers!

I managed to buy a version with all the Western European maps, but I'd highly recommend investing in foreign maps if you're driving abroad - or even if you're planning to rent a car. Because the TomTom one is totally independent from your car (it fixes to the windscreen with a sucker, rather than having any fixed brackets or anything like that) you can take it with you wherever you go - or lend it to a friend or family member if they need it.

I honestly cannot recomment this highly enough - if only for the stress and arguments it saves when you're trying to navigate round a strange town or city. Buy one today!

Madonna 5 Volume Boxed Set
Madonna 5 Volume Boxed Set
by Madonna

1.0 out of 5 stars It's been done., 2 Nov 2005
These cautionary tales have been written a thousand times before, and generally better. The illustrations are mostly nice, but frankly this is self-indulgent, patronising garbage.
Spend your money on books from people like Lauren Child or Richard Scarry instead - they have a lot more charm and are a lot less plodding, and you're not giving tacit approval anything you might not approve of.

PC-Cillin Internet Security 12
PC-Cillin Internet Security 12

4.0 out of 5 stars It just works, 2 Nov 2005
I'd had Norton Internet Security for a couple of years, and was trying to renew my subscription. My credit card wouldn't go through for some reason, so I sent them an email. 24 hours later they replied with a message that 'they would look into it'.
I figured that if they didn't want my money I'd take it somewhere else, and bought this. Well, it's excellent. It installs quickly, it doesn't seem to slow my system down, and it doesn't let anything through (as far as I know!).
I'd definitely recommend it.

Cars, Trucks and Things That Go
Cars, Trucks and Things That Go
by Richard Scarry

3.0 out of 5 stars A classic - but beware, 20 Sep 2005
I loved this book when I was a kid, so I bought it for my daughter, who's just learning to read and appreciate a good story. So I was amazed when I got to the end and discovered the last page of the story is missing, and has been replaced by an 'other books by this author' page.
I was incensed. they wouldn't miss out the last page of a thriller, would they? So why do they think they can miss out the end of a book like this? I'm trying to get my little girl to appreciate books - and it's a bit difficult when they're apparently not appreciated by the very people that publish them.
Very disappointing.

Sony MZ-N1 Blue Net MiniDisc Walkman
Sony MZ-N1 Blue Net MiniDisc Walkman

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product. Great idea., 15 Aug 2002
I was thinking about buying an i-Pod until I saw this. Less than 100 grams, PC-compatible and made by Sony - who for my money make the best personal audio stuff around.
I too bought the blue version (everything seems to be silver these days and the deep blue's really nice).
I've set about ripping my CDs to my hard drive. Unlike some reviews I've seen I didn't have any problems installing or using the software with my Win 2000 PC and ADSL line, although it does tend to make my computer a little slow.
I tend to use the LP2 recording setting, which lets you fit two albums on one MD. It takes about 5-10 minutes to write to the MD, and frankly you can't tell the difference between that and normal recording or a CD. The LP4 level compression is a little less high-quality, but the only situation I can think of where it would be important to have 5 hours of music on one disc is if you're on a long plane or train journey - in which case there'd be so much background noise you wouldn't be able to tell the difference in any case.
Battery life is good - and the dry battery case, although it doesn't do anything for the unit's looks, means you can easily extend it (on your long train or plane journey for example).
My only gripe with the unit is the control button, which looks a little tacky and flimsy (although in fact is isn't) and is quite fiddly - I often think I'm pressing play and am in fact skipping tracks. But if you use the remote control this of course isn't a problem.
All in all, top notch - and less bulky and heavy than the i-Pod. Better looking, too!

Page: 1 | 2