ARRAY(0xab46cf84)

Profile for Kelly 'Perusing Princesses' Blog > Reviews

Content by Kelly 'Perusin...

Kelly 'Perusing Princesses' Blog (Wiltshire, England.)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Because of Kian (Bitterroot)
Because of Kian (Bitterroot)

5.0 out of 5 stars Because Of Kian is a deeply profound, beautifully written standalone that delivers. 5-Stars, 14 April 2014
Because Of Kian is a deeply profound, beautifully written standalone that delivers. From lust to love, self-preservation and heartbreak, to acceptance and finally, absolution; Brynn and Kian’s journey is not one you will forget anytime soon. A MUST READ! ~ Kelly, Perusing Princesses.

I absolutely loved this book, even thought parts of it, including the flow were not always perfect, I just couldn’t seem to bring myself to care. I enjoyed how Brynn and Kian’s story unfolded even if it did seem a little rushed at times I was just thankful there was no unnecessary BS. Sometimes, a book can be padded out with angst for the sake of it, but you won’t find that here because this story, in all its adulterated glory was created with the ideal balance of angst, steam, love, lust and hate - making it the perfect standalone read.

Finding pleasure in pain is a common theme in many books of late, but finding deliverance in believing you are different, only to have your way paved by another who understands what it is to find solace and personal acceptance tied in ropes is primarily the feature of this book.

Brynn’s love of living dangerously, walking a precarious fine line between sexual submission turned physical abuse a drive that propels her forward when her ex boyfriend, Evan takes it to the extreme, destroying the love and trust she thought once existed.

Living with the guilt of breaking another and fearing the repercussions is what takes Brynn to Bitterroot; just a new face in a small town keeping herself distanced from others. Her only outlet is Hyper, a nightclub where she can expel her hurt through dance.

Kian watches her closely, the beautiful girl who shuns any advances from others. His world and hers do not seem destined to collide until one night changes everything…

Evan finds Brynn and attacks her ruthlessly, only then to be thwarted by a tall, longhaired, leather-clad biker who teaches him a lesson in manners.

Brynn is upset by the assault, but visibly shaken as this stranger offers to take care of her and teach her self-defence tactics at his gym. Her fear of Evan finding her again overrides her reluctance to take Kian up on his offer, as she finds herself befriending another for the first time.

Kian is everything Brynn could only ever dream of but never have. He is caring, strong, beautiful, a considerate lover and a good friend, but Brynn isn’t like other girls - she breaks, destroys, and will leave them both broken hearted if she doesn’t get out now. With these new escalating feelings comes fear at losing the best thing that has ever happened to her as she tries to distance herself believing nothing good will come out of being with someone like her. If you love someone, you let them go… but Kian is not the kind of man to just walk away.

Oh Kian, how I love thee. Brynn is such a broken character, her fear and self-hatred overriding her common sense when it comes to embracing newfound happiness. But he sees it, senses it and shows her a new way and throughout it all, remains strong and totally in control.

Being with a loose cannon, a woman accustomed to abuse is a bitter pill to swallow given his Mother’s untimely demise. Although, he wants to protect Brynn more than anything, she isn’t just a damsel in distress but the love of his life, and his attentiveness to her specific needs outweighed the hatred she felt for herself making him the perfect hero. He is everything I look for in a male protagonist and Siby, I can’t thank you enough for bringing him into my life. <3

Sexy, steamy, heartfelt and real, this book has the lot!

READ IT!

Confessions After Dark (After Dark Series)
Confessions After Dark (After Dark Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautifully written sequel. A MUST READ! 5-Stars, 14 April 2014
Confessions After Dark is the second instalment in the ‘After Dark’ series and one that will put you through the emotional gamut. Angeline and Alex are both empowering and strong-willed characters, pragmatic, professional, each knowing their own mind while succumbing to their needs and desires. But nothing can ever prepare them for the depth of their feelings that come when feeding the addiction.

Love was never supposed to play a part in this equation, and when it does, it doesn’t just hold the power to rule hearts, but the mind. In this instance, love has the power to break, and all in the name of fear.

Their lust is tangible although heartfelt. Their concerns are very real, making for a potent and fulfilling read. What I love about Kahlen’s writing is her injection of realism. Although Alex Avery is an internationally successful multi-millionaire businessman, their story of how they met, come together (pun intended) and the challenges they face gave this story vivid plausibility. The threat from outside sources felt very real, and I was immediately enamoured in both instances with the lengths one will go to, to protect those they care about.

I won’t lie, certain notions made me want to smack Angel around the head, she can be so pig-headed and stubborn at times, but I can understand her elusiveness when it comes to relationships. Having been burnt before, and experiencing the heartbreak second hand from countless late-night callers, she believes no good can come from committed relationships, not when so many are destined to fail.

“Alex has been different since he met you, Angel. You’ve changed him.”
“He’s changed me, too. He makes me weak.”
Darian’s face split in a knowing smile.
“Needing someone doesn’t make you weak, doll. It makes you human.”

Alex Avery on the other hand is the hero in this series. Where Angeline is continually trying to stay at arms length, Alex is the one pushing forward. He may never have had a real relationship before, but he’s not afraid to try and I admired him greatly for his resilience and boldness when it came to proving his worth.

“Why did you have to come here tonight?”
“Because, I can’t stay away. I don’t know if I’d be strong enough to fight it even if I wanted to.”
“You’re the strongest man I know.”
“Not when it comes to you.”

Alas, Angel has her reasons for her incessant drive to distance herself and that is due to a case that is crumbling beneath her feet. Mark Swanson is an evil low-life businessman who deserves to rot in prison for abusing his Step-Daughter. The case she is working on is lacking in evidence even though Angel knows he’s guilty.

Taking a step back is not an option, and soon Angel becomes a target for revenge, as Swanson and his goons threaten not only her, but the one person who she has come to care for more than anything… Alex.

Alex secretly knows what Swanson is planning, and he needs to make it clear that no-one messes with what is rightfully his, Angel included as he sets a new plan in motion; Mark Swanson will suffer, Avery Corporation is going to bring him to his knees but there will be consequences… ones that will likely affect them both.

From lust, to love, to heartbreak, to fear, to loss and back again, Kahlen Aymes certainly knows how to spin a beautifully written tale. This series doesn’t just focus on explosive dynamics in the bedroom even though it plays a pivotal role, but demonstrates her ability to deliver one creative and thrilling storyline that will have you gripped until the very end.

This series is an absolute MUST READ!!!

LoveLines
LoveLines

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovelines is sexy, emotional, heart-breaking and funny. 4-Stars, 10 April 2014
This review is from: LoveLines (Kindle Edition)
Lovelines is a beautifully written romance depicting an honest portrayal of mental illness and how it affects every aspect of modern day living. Obsessive Compulsive Disorder plays a pivotal role in this heroine’s life and S.Walden has created a full-embodied read that captures the perfect balance between sexy, emotional, heart-breaking and funny. Suffice to say, this book has it all!

The synopsis explains Lovelines storyline and vibe perfectly, so I’m not going to write a full overview of the plot itself, but would like to touch upon what made this book work for me, and that was the selflessness of this wonderful hero, Reece.

From a state foster kid to successful marketing extraordinaire to finding solace within the arms of a girl whose life has been thwart with complications since the age of six, his character was faultless. I loved every scene where Reece featured. He exuded sex appeal but with a controlling yet fun-loving side, and he gave hope to Bailey when she had almost given up on the idea of a future that didn’t consists of counting steps, tapping pens and living by the tick of a clock.

He gave her a new focus, gave her strength in love and hope in second-chances and I believed every word he said.

Retro, funky, cute ‘Be’boppin’ Bailey is certainly a complex character, whose plight made for an interesting and refreshing read. Many coin the phrase ‘OCD’ when it comes to clean houses and meticulous planning but actually, OCD is a very real, very distressing illness that can have a profound impact on everyday life. The little things that many of us take for granted, such as acting in spontaneity, is an anxiety attack just waiting to happen for real sufferers and S.Walden incorporated all these elements within this heartfelt and deeply compelling love story.

Lovelines shared moments of pure perfection, followed closely by surmounting pressure from others, family hardships and personal set-backs; giving a very real impression of the challenges they both faced which made for an enjoyable and very emotional read.

I did feel myself waning a little near the 30% mark as Lovelines is somewhat of a slow-builder. I don’t think it needed to be quite as drawn out in those earlier scenes, although it did give great insight to the characterisation of not just Bailey, but some interesting secondary characters too. And the alternating 1st person POV to 3rd was off-putting at times, but overall, a 'phablous' story.

This is a standalone read with a concluded ending. The epilogue hints as to which couple book two will be focusing on, and I’m looking forward to reading it.

4-Stars.

Severed Angel (Severed MC)
Severed Angel (Severed MC)

4.0 out of 5 stars A gripping new MC series formulated with the perfect blend of angst, sass and swoon. 4-Stars, 9 April 2014
A gripping new MC series formulated with the perfect blend of angst, sass and swoon. This is one ride definitely worth taking. - Kelly, Perusing Princesses

This is unlike other Biker books I have read, simply because even though club life is notoriously similar to that of the standard MC uniform, it differs slightly because the Severed MC are not the drug-dealing, gun-running, killing-spree kind, in-fact, they are far from it. These boys know how to party, but they are revered for keeping their business on the right side of the law.

Upon reading this in the early chapters I was concerned it would make these boys seem lacking in some way, but I couldn’t have been more wrong. This MC put a high price on family values, on respect, and most importantly of all, they will fight to protect what is theirs.

This story follows Eve, a British woman who has recently come out of a failed relationship with ‘douche-bag,’ whom left her and their two year old Daughter, Elizabeth, high and dry.

Eve misses her best-friend Teresa and her Father Elvis since they emigrated back to Australia, to Elvis’ native home after losing his wife. Upon receiving an invitation to Teresa’s wedding to a man named Bill aka ‘Prez’, she is more than happy to leave Britain for a month and embark on the 20-hour flight to get reacquainted with Teresa after six years apart, while leaving her Mother to care for her two year old Daughter back home.

Getting lost in the middle of the night in a strange country wasn’t in the itinerary. Stumbling upon a murder scene in a late night store certainly wasn’t in the travel plans either, but unfortunately, it puts Eve in a precarious situation when ‘Satan,’ the VP of rival club The Carnal MC, fails to clean up the loose ties when Severed MC arrive just in time to save her from his deadly clutches.

To Teresa and her father, Eve is family, therefore Severed MC offer protection in the form of ‘lockdown’ when they hear of the $250,000 bounty on her head. It’s hard being around him though, because the one they call ‘Angel’ looks just like the man who put a gun to her head - being around the VP and identical twin brother is disconcerting, but even more so when she finds she can’t help but lust after the man who has sworn to protect her.

When a club whore becomes collateral damage in the ‘hunt for Eve,’ Gabe/Angel will not let her out of his site and subsequently, out of his bed...

Yes, this is a love story, well... maybe more a insta-lust story, but the workings are all there. This storyline is entertaining with a worthy angst factor, although I prefer a little more grit with my MC boys, I cannot deny that Gabe/Angel is one sexy SOAB!

I liked our two main protagonists and I connected to a few of the secondary characters, although I would have liked more emphasis on character description for each of the members, I found myself having to make up my own.

Satan is a fabulous villain, he is the angst factor and a part of me loves him, not in the way I connected with Gabe, but in a ‘he scares the life out of me, but I want more of him,’ kind of way. And I feel my wish may be granted in book two after that stunning cliffhanger ending!

I know many of you hate cliffy’s but it gave this book a sudden impact and I can see why the author/s did it. I’m highly anticipating book two because I know after that whopper I just have to continue with this series.

Definitely worth a read!

4 STARS

Five Miles (Gypsy Brothers)
Five Miles (Gypsy Brothers)

5.0 out of 5 stars Dramatic, angst-ridden escapism at its gut-wrenching finest. 5-STARS, 9 April 2014
OMG!!! This series just gets better and better. My poor heart was pounding out of my chest at the 85% point, and I didn't realise I could hold my breath for that long. Lili St. Germain is an evil genius because I love this series even though I hate most of her characters, bar three. She's got the balance just right and I can't seem to get enough.

The waters have gone from murky to tainted with gypsy blood and it's all on Sammie's hands. Her vengeance has gone from dangerous to downright suicidal. The façade is cracking as Jase starts to put the puzzle pieces together and time is running out. Five miles is what stands between her and freedom, but like anything... things don't always turn out as planned.

Dramatic, angst-ridden escapism at its gut wrenching finest. Bring on Four Score, I'm ready!!

Six Brothers (Gypsy Brothers, #2)
Six Brothers (Gypsy Brothers, #2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Gutsy, brutally dark and sinfully addictive. MORE PLEASE! 5-Stars, 9 April 2014
The Gypsy Brothers is fast becoming one of my favourite MC crime novella series of all time. This series is gutsy, brutally dark and sinfully addictive. Lili Saint Germain doesn't hold back so grip on tight as she takes you on a no-frills ride at full-throttle, and one that you will never forget.

The writing is vivid imagery at its darkest, making it a difficult read at times. Dornan Ross is monstrous, a truly evil man who scares the bejesus out of me. I hate him, therefore I can't help but back Juliette in her murderous mission of vengeance.

This is where this series is so clever, because we get first hand knowledge from the victim turned vigilante, of how to devise the perfect murder. In this instance Juliette/Sammi is the calculating killer, and yet we sympathise fully with her horrific backstory, we want her to succeed... Totally screwed up notion I know, but it works!

Gruesome and off the wall crazy, but absolutely brilliant!!!

Fans of Madeline Sheehan's 'Undeniable' series should read this!

Breaking Alexandria
Breaking Alexandria

4.0 out of 5 stars A coming of age love story with emotional edge. 4-Stars, 9 April 2014
Best K.A novel, yet!

Breaking Alexandria is a coming of age love story with emotional edge. I liked the first half, thoroughly enjoyed the second and loved the conclusion. This book progressed beautifully with great pace that kept me hooked from start to finish.

I really liked our heroine even though her plethora of eff-ups made her flawed and unlikeable at times, she loved deeply, truly and irrevocably. Even when lost she stayed true to herself and admitted to her faults, she knew she was far from perfect and I respected that. Alexandria may only be 17 but I still connected to her character and sympathised with her situation even though her actions warranted it. We are all fools in love, especially when it comes to our ‘first’. As a mid 30's reader to feel that connection to a 'younger generational' read is very important and thankfully, I got it here.

Joel and Landon were great characters; both complete opposites and both in love with our girl, makes for all the elements of a solid love triangle, although this is anything but.

The evacuated troublesome city girl meets the small-town farmhand cowboy, and everything changes...

Love, lust, heartbreak and guilt... This book has it all. But best of all, its a tale of second chances, of finding oneself and learning to live again in a world that once threatened to tear you apart.

Even though there is a drug theme here, I don't believe there are any villains, just young people making bad choices. So in that respect, the drug theme here is pretty tame.

Oh and please Invest in tissues, I did sniffle once or twice (me and you will be 'having words,' K.A!) ;)

Great Read! Buy it!

4 Stars

Reclaiming the Sand
Reclaiming the Sand

4.0 out of 5 stars A deeply moving tale of challenging love and unconventional friendships. 4-Stars, 31 Mar 2014
I have never felt so conflicted over a book in my entire life. I won't lie, I struggled with the first half because it was so deeply depressing that if I hadn't read this off the back of a comedy I may not have actually finished it. Well, more fool me, because this is a book of two halves.

The first destroyed me, the twisted pleasure felt by these cold, calculating bullies was a difficult process to follow. I disliked them so much that it was impossible to feel any compassion towards them even though they came from deprived and broken family backgrounds. Thrown from foster home to home, these kids formed destructive friendships based solely on circumstance.

The second, well, lets just say that if any character can do a complete 360 and come out a brighter and better person, then it was this girl! Her transition was one worth investing the time in, and I’m so pleased I continued with Ellie and Flynn’s story.

Flynn is the new kid at school. Even at fifteen, his life is set to his wristwatch. Every movement is calculated, premeditated, a coping mechanism for his condition. Flynn has Asbergers, a form of autism. He does not communicate well and he cannot bear to be touched.

Ellie is just going through the motions. She is bitter, angry, an outcast. Her friends are just like her. They take their anger and inflict it on others who look down upon them. Flynn is different. He is a 'tard' and the 'new' entertainment, one who cannot fight back.

However, there is more to Flynn than meets the eye, only he lets Ellie see it when they form a secret friendship. She is ashamed of her so-called friends behaviour towards him, because in reality, he may be different but he understands how it feels to be an outcast and she feels a strange connection to that.

But when Ellie's friends start berating her of her connection to ‘Freaky Flynn’, it just makes her hurt more, and she takes it out on the boy who has ever cared for the neglected state child, destroying them both.

Jump six years later and Ellie is out of Juvie but still on probation. Her friends are still losers. The world is a dark place and the town she grew up in still a prison. A dead end. Then he walks in... the beautiful 22 year old man is a far cry from the scared young boy she left behind, and he's about to feed her a bout of harsh reality. Her past and present are about to collide; opening up to the idea of a future she believed may never exist.

Reclaiming the sand is a story of second chances, of hope and seeking forgiveness. It's a story of challenging love and complicated friendships. It is a tough read and you will want to punch one or two, or even four characters in the face, including Ellie, but in the end all it takes is a leap of faith and one man's honesty to open the door to endless possibilities.

Flynn is a true book hero in every sense of the word, and I feel privileged that he came into my life. Thank you, A. Meredith Walters for your flawless deliverance in this deeply powerful and challenging read that touched every emotion. My heart went through obstacles aplenty, but the storyline was unique, her characters complex and profound - albeit unpleasant at times, it made for one hell of a reading experience!

Read it!!

Passion and Ponies (Chocoholics #2)
Passion and Ponies (Chocoholics #2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Off the wall crazy fun with a sweet underlying message; friendship is magic!, 27 Mar 2014
Off the wall crazy fun with a sweet underlying message; friendship is magic!

Ava and Tyler’s story is definitely the most unconventional and funniest yet! I can’t tell you how many times my Husband nudged me in bed each time I laughed out loud while he was trying to sleep, only then to turn over and read along with me to see what all the fuss was about – I think it’s safe to say, Tara Sivec may have found a new fan in my Husband too.

Ava isn’t the most likeable character in this Chocoholics series, yet she doesn’t make excuses for her behaviour. She is spoilt. She is a bitch. But she admits it, all of it! However, her behaviour doesn’t come without its reasons because the fact of the matter is, she is unhappy.

Ava is a fashion guru. Her new blog is creating a quite a buzz, receiving hits in abundance; her newfound passion is to run it on a full-time bases but her family have other ideas. Liz and Claire have worked hard to make a success of Seduction and Snacks and it is Liz’s dream that Ava plays a vital role in the business, too. Working as Gavin’s assistant is easy, but it’s not what dreams are made of!

On top of that, she is sleeping with Tyler Branson, Gavin’s best friend. Talk about ‘scraping the barrel.’ He may be an annoying pain in the ass and totally immature but he’s great in bed, even if he does whinny like a horse in his sleep.

When Tyler becomes upset over a serious family matter and moves in with Gavin and Charlotte, Ava realises that there may actually be a softer side to the crazy boy who was just a welcome reprieve. And when she falls out with Liz over the business and her blog and moves in with them too, it’s impossible not to reconnect to Tyler in a whole new way as they spend more time together. He may be a Brony and Ava may have some serious competition when it comes to his first-love, Rainbow Bright, but sometimes embracing the weird, can be a doorway into something more, something better. Acceptance.

She smiles at me and like a f-ing chick, my heart skips a beat. I’m pretty sure I’ve never seen Ava smile unless she was plotting something evil and calculating. This smile is soft and lights up her entire face.
Yep, it’s happened, folks. I’ve grown a vagina.

Okay, some scenes are borderline ridiculous but who cares! This series is among my absolute favourites because I just know I am in for a fun time. Apart from all the crazy (and yes, there is a lot of crazy), there are some real tender and poignant moments in this story too. Tyler surprised me the most. I liked him in Love and Lists (Chocoholics, #1) because he gave Drew a run for his money, but I loved him in this book. He may come across as immature, but actually, he’s got a good head on his shoulders and his heart really is in the right place. He is loyal to a fault, feels deeply and is very misunderstood. He accepts that everyone has a right to believe in something, even if makes you a little bit different. He has never wavered from his beliefs, his values… ultimately making him very brave too.

If you want to get away from the angst and pick up a comedy that has a little bit of everything, then you cannot go wrong with this series! If you haven’t read ‘The Chocolate Lovers’ series then start there and work your way through. Just don’t read it in public!

4 ‘Brony Twilight Sparkle’ Stars

Seven Sons (Gypsy Brothers)
Seven Sons (Gypsy Brothers)

4.0 out of 5 stars WHOA! Not for the fainthearted. This MC is brutal! Great read! 4-Stars, 26 Mar 2014
Today my name is Juliette Portland, but tomorrow I will wake up as someone else entirely. Someone who will bring Dornan Ross and the Gypsy Brothers Motorcycle Club to their knees."

Seven Sons isn't just dark, this first instalment of the Gypsy Brothers MC is seriously brutal. There are no hidden leather clad heroes here; the Ross family are feral, cold, soulless creatures who relish in the kill. They consist of rapists, murderers, drug dealers and carry no remorse or regret for their actions. They rule Venice Beach with an iron fist, and if they want you, you bend to their every command and say thank you. Such is now the reality for Juliette aka 'Sammi.'

It's been six years since her MC Father was murdered, six years since the Gypsy MC kidnapped and gang raped her at fifteen years old, and six years since she last saw Jase, her friend and first love. How unfortunate that he is the youngest son of Dornan Ross, the man she once called 'uncle' and the Prez of the Gypsy MC.

Only now is the time to put her plans of vengeance into action as she goes under the knife to give her a whole new look and identity. Her mission is simple: infiltrate the club, gather crucial damming evidence and destroy every last one of them. Only her plan is foiled when Ross takes a very keen interest in the 'new girl' and she finds that sex with the Enemy has its perks when she gets full access to the club and its members.

Sleeping and pretending to care for the man who destroyed you is a very bitter pill to swallow, but for Sammi it is her one way ticket to hell and she's going to take the Gypsy MC right along with her...

And my goodness what a ride its going to be. This ain't no love story, this is a woman rising from the ashes, a vigilante hungry for revenge. I can't help but admire her, even though she is playing a deadly game. One false move and bang...game over! This is the reason why I loved this novella, there is no fluff, no reformed bad boy finding solace and freedom in love, Seven Sons is the complete polar opposite. It is violent and cruel. Parts are quite sickening actually and yet the flow, the writing, the switch between past and present tense hooked me in and didn't let up until the end. There's no doubt about it, Lili Saint Germain can write!

My only gripe is the length. Seven Sons can be comfortably read in a couple of hours and knowing that this series will be broken down into novellas of seven is a little frustrating if I'm honest, as this could quite possibly have been one hell of a standalone that would easily rival the best of the best. But, I can't deny that I will be continuing with this series because as an MC crime thriller goes, Gypsy Brothers, #1 has so far proved to be one heck of a story!

Dark erotica/ Biker MC fans need to read this!!!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20