Profile for Rowan > Reviews

Rowan (Ireland)

Page: 1 | 2
PitRok W1060 Push-Up Crystal Deodorant 100g
PitRok W1060 Push-Up Crystal Deodorant 100g

5.0 out of 5 stars I liked that the deodorant just disolved over time, 22 April 2016
This stuff really works! If you shower before applying, and leave some airflow around your armpits :) (no really, really tight tee's stuck to the armpits). I used this years ago when the company sold it as a polished, smooth, round chunky stick, packacked in a little cardboard pack. They changed to package it in a more conventional plastic container (the crystal shrinks after a LOT of use, about 6 months later, - yes you will have this a long time - and slips out of the holder, illustrated here, that grips it but you can continue using it - so it kinda returns to their original format :) . It is such a pity about the PLASTIC used in production, when actually it worked initially years ago without the excess packaging. I liked that the deodorant just disolved over time, but now we get these solid plastic holders.

UNSCENTED NATURAL CRYSTAL ROCK DEODORANT 2x50g
UNSCENTED NATURAL CRYSTAL ROCK DEODORANT 2x50g

5.0 out of 5 stars I was used to the feeling of coating my armpits in a substance - this feels like a polished glass marble, 22 April 2016
I stopped using 'regular' deodorants in my late 30's. Tried this, had my doubts, especially the first time I used it, I was used to the feeling of coating my armpits in a substance - this feels like a polished glass marble, you run it under a tap and then slide onto armpits. I felt like I was puitting water on my pits - BUT hey presto, no smell of sweat all day :) I will add that my diet changed around that time, I gave up using breast milk products in my diet, I feel that was a contributing factor. I will add that this deodorant does not block pores, you will still perspire if in a hot environment, and it does not stain clothing AT ALL.

I Think I Might Be Autistic: A Guide to Autism Spectrum Disorder Diagnosis and Self-Discovery for Adults
by Cynthia Kim

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite excellent. I highly recomend this small book (20 chapters ..., 4 Sept. 2015
Quite excellent. I highly recomend this small book (20 chapters over 106 pages). Concise and to the point. Everyone on the autism spectrum who made the 'discovery' in adulthood will relate to this book. There are so many other books written about us :) it is so worthwhile finding an author on the spectrum. Cynthia Kim speaks from within, not without. Well done.

The Practical Handbook of Homeopathy: The How, When, Why and Which of Home Prescribing

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, accessible starter for begginers., 26 Jan. 2015
I'm very new to Homeopathy. I had surgery on my ankles when I was a child and I get very hot burning, painful ankles when the weather becomes hot. I react badly to 'conventional' anti - inflamatory pills (suffer digestive upsets). A homeopath in a health store suggested I try Sulph.30c. I took one pill and within 2 hours my ankle had cooled right down. I am not suggesting this is a wonder 'drug' but I can only go on the coincidence of taking the pill and my bones cooling down shortly after. But I am open to the possibilty of healing through any means that bring the least damage to my body in general. I have been intrigued enough to investigate Homeopathy further. I find this book very clear and easy to follow without it seeming to be a bit too simplified. It covers actute first aid situations. It suggests that Chronic ongoing illnesses should be investigated thoroughly by professionals in Homeopathy and/or Allopathic medicine. I would like to check out more by this author.

Homeopathy for Your Senior Dog (Canine Wellness Book 6)
Homeopathy for Your Senior Dog (Canine Wellness Book 6)

1.0 out of 5 stars I like reading: ) I like books, 16 Jan. 2015
I like reading :) I like books. This is not a book. I bought this on kindle without noticing how long it is. Realistically it is worthy of an ARTICLE in a Homeopthy journal (in this format it ammounts to a mere 15 pages), and should not be presented as a book in itself - as it is NOT anything other than quite pleasant SHORT anecdotes recounted by a Veterinarian who also practices Homeopathy. Please be aware that this article is 16 pages, covering the treatment of THREE dogs, 'Mimosa' the Westie, 'Rajah' the (female?) Huskey cross, and Rorie (again Female with a male name, I know a Rory, the name is Irish and male BTW,(From the Irish Ruaidhrí/Ruairí ("red king") of course internationally there may be the gender variables and spelling changes just for fun :) I only pick at these facts becuase the presentation of this article as a 'book' irritated me :/ . I would enjoy the content if it were included in a magazine on homeopathy costing a few euro, rather than pay 99 cent for this alone.

Very Late Diagnosis of Asperger Syndrome (Autism Spectrum Disorder)
Very Late Diagnosis of Asperger Syndrome (Autism Spectrum Disorder)
by Philip Wylie

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book. If you search Asperger syndrome or Autism ..., 7 Nov. 2014
Excellent book. If you search Asperger syndrome or Autism spectrum disorder on Amazon you will find many many results. But please be aware that upon inspection you will soon see that the majority are written and compiled by solely by people that are not actually on the spectrum themselves. This may not be an issue for you as you may be a parent/ partner/friend seeking advice on Asperger's/ASD , from the outside looking AT the Autism spectrum. Personally I prefer to identify with the Author, as I am on the AS. Here There is a different 'accent' which I 'get' - how we interpret the world around us. The description of living rings true with me. This is often not the case when the Author is a health care professional approaching it from a kind of purely academic perspective, (with some exceptions of course, for example Tony Attwood is excellent). Finding you are on the AS later in life is covered thoroughly in this book. Well worth the read. Quite short and to the point :)

Waterways - The Royal Canal
Waterways - The Royal Canal
Dvd ~ Dick Warner

5.0 out of 5 stars Really lovely, if a little lonely..., 13 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Waterways - The Royal Canal (DVD)
Loved this. Very well filmed, very calming viewing indeed. Dick Warner has a great mellow voice, his narration as if it is taken from the written log he makes at the end of each day's journey on the Royal Canal in Ireland.
At the end of his journey he comments that he found the journey quite lonely, and that 'Rambler' may have passed just a couple of boats on its 145 km trip. I found this quite sad. The UK has so many canal narrowboat fans by comparison, regardless of population difference.
We do get to see two liveaboards talk briefly about their move to a canal life, but an Irish canal culture is indeed conspicuous by its absence in this series.
A lovely documentary focused on the Royal Canal route and its History.

Aspies on Mental Health: Speaking for Ourselves (Adults Speak Out about Asperger Syndrome) (Insider Intelligence)
by Luke Beardon

5.0 out of 5 stars A companion for the solitary, 21 Nov. 2013
Love this book. Sometimes I find that when I google Asperger Syndrome and stumble upon websites offering advice It can seem like the site has been scripted while forgetting that Aspies are actually 'in the room', so to speak, and are actually going to read what has been written about us. There appears to be a lot of information online and in hardcopy for parents of young children on the Autism spectrum but not much for adults recently identified as being on the spectrum. This book is fantastic. It can bring a sigh of relief to us :) to read other peoples' stories.
I go back to it again and again in moments of isolation. It is a comfort to read about the struggles AND successes of other adults with Asperger Syndrome. Thoughtfully compiled, nothing in it could be ommited if it is to succeed in offering personal insights into themany issues raised by being Aspie in a non-Aspie world. The result is essential and compact thanks to careful editing.
Thanks for writing this, all the Men and Women who tell their stories, from within, rather than looking upon, Asperger's Syndrome.
X

Kingdom of Heaven (2 Disc Special Edition) [DVD]
Kingdom of Heaven (2 Disc Special Edition) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Martin Hancock
Offered by best_value_entertainment

2.0 out of 5 stars Special edition IS NOT the extended version :(, 9 Oct. 2013
I Love this film. I have seen it several times on TV. I bought this edition not checking if it actually is the extended edition I had read about ON AMAZON.
I did not realize that Amazon will place your review of a film , to ALL formats it is available in, on Amazon. So, all formats of a title have exactly the same reviews.
When I read '...the extended verion really helps.....' as a review under THIS edition of the movie, I assumed the writer had bought THIS SPECIAL EDITION 2 disc set. But it appears not, as the content is not what the reviewer describes.
It isn't the extended version OF THE FILM but the cinema edit movie with extra stuff.
It does have two discs. The first is the movie. The second is with some documentaries. One of the documentaries is not to my liking, it is a history channel whistle stop tour of some of the cast being severely edited CONSTANTLY while giving views on the story (picture Orlando Bloom clearly engaged, but then cut to action shot of film, back to Eva green for a few words, back to film, then back to orlando for 15 seconds, then over to ridley scott for 10 seconds, back to action shots.....ad lib to fade)
I will look for the extended version that the fans of the film have raved about. :)
Film Great but Bonus documentary terribly edited, where it's contributors have not been used to their full potential. please check RUNNING TIME before ordering!!!

The Fall [DVD]
The Fall [DVD]
Dvd ~ Gillian Anderson

5.0 out of 5 stars No spoilers below., 12 Jun. 2013
This review is from: The Fall [DVD] (DVD)
Really enjoyed this. A longtime fan of the X Files, I looked forward to seeing Gillian Anderson again. Here she is Stella Gibson, heading the hunt for serial killer Paul Spector played by Jamie Dornan (not a spoiler, this is a 'why dunnit', not 'whodunnit'). Anderson reaches for a Scully power suit (ok hate me if you like, but the character does have quite a vibe of the personality of Dana Scully. It WORKS, very well, but just sayin'. It has not been a leap into the unknown for Anderson). Her character has a steady cerebral approach to perhaps all but one of her interactions with people. She allows herself a 'sweet night' (her term) once, with an object of her desire, before returning to her clinical, austere character. The rest of her time the investigation is her focus. Anderson is good. Relative newcomer Dornan is very good.
None of the media reviews I have read mention the sparse, tight script he has to work with. There are five hours to the series, but Dornan does not let us 'in'. His Spector(or indeed spectre) is a distant man, and unfortunately for citizens of his home town, disturbed, sadistic, psychotic,with a little bit of a caring side(yes, it surfaces) just holding it together enough to function within his family of a wife and two children. The Dornan at ease in front of Bruce Weber's camera's during his earlier modelling days is gone, The fall's cameras see his Paul Spector as impenetrable, ill at ease in life, balancing a role as both caring father and serial killer. He manages a certain chill that permeates his time on screen, lingering with you long after. Few glances on screen have held such calm menace, the place behind those eyes is a well we don't wanna delve into. Bronagh Waugh as his wife is very good. Her struggle is keeping a bridge open to the sane father of her children, the same man she is losing. They become increasing unlikely as a couple on screen the more chilling (to us) and withdrawn (to her) he becomes.
There are indeed nods to Scandanavian crime dramas, especially in the introduction of sub plots that run alongside the main story, and tying them together very very neatly. This doesn't quite happen with The Fall. Here a sub- plot can appear incidental and could be a series of its own.
Otherwise, Enjoy :)