Profile for Birmingham Nick > Reviews

Content by Birmingham Nick

Birmingham Nick (Birmingham UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Blows Against the Empire
Blows Against the Empire
Price: 6.98

5.0 out of 5 stars The best, 2 Mar 2014
I have this album in the original vinyl. I bought it eons ago, I loved it then and I still do. I now have a digital copy although it seems not to be on Spotify and Napster for some reason. Its great whatever others say about Airplane v Starship and Hippy culture etc this is a lovely album that reminds me of my youth - a land far far away!
Now I can put it on and remember those happy days before life butted in. Oh and I would "go up on A deck" if asked!

RF Wireless Thermometers Home/Garden Indoor/Outdoor Weather Station Forecast
RF Wireless Thermometers Home/Garden Indoor/Outdoor Weather Station Forecast
Offered by WAAHA (arrive in 8-18 days)
Price: 14.82

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product - excellent price, 28 Feb 2014
This is an excellent and cheap weather station. The base unit is clear and easy to set up. It immediately picked up my out door sensor for another weather station on channel 1. I changed to channel 2 on the outdoor sensor (3 channel setting are available) and it picked it up immediately. Range between the base unit and the external sensor seem excellent. I am using it on my narrow boat and the signal seems to penetrate the steel hull without a problem. Both units can be shelf or wall mounted. Batteries are 2 x AAA cells for each unit (not included). There is a clock, alarm and snooze function. Battery life seems adequate. It looks good and seems well made. I think it comes from Hong Kong so delivery took about 3 weeks but it was well packaged.
As an update I have had this running for a while now and have noticed that despite setting it on channel 2 the base station seems to automatically revert after a while to channel 1 - very strange! Maybe I have a duff unit but I decided to simply use channel 1 and all is good.

As an update I have started getting emails from Hossen accusing me of giving a "neutral" review. I am not sure what all this is about but as there are attachments that I am asked to open I am suspicious - all deleted and in the bin. I would have to advise caution if using this seller.

Captain Phillips [Blu-ray] [2013] [Region Free]
Captain Phillips [Blu-ray] [2013] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Tom Hanks
Price: 10.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Thrilling, 28 Feb 2014
This is an excellent film, well acted, good action and suspense. The 1 stars on here are bleating about how the Somali pirates are justified cos of big bad America blah blah blah. Also they say the film is "disrespectful" - I say who cares its a film and a jolly good one actually. Tom Hanks is excellent but I didn’t think (as was hyped) that his performance was Oscar material. The Somali pirate boss (ex cabbie) was good but not as brilliant as suggested by some.
Quite clearly boats sailing in these pirate invested waters should have arms on board and any small boat approaching without indentification should simply be blown out of the water - zero tolerance! All in all a fun film and worth the cost of the Blu-ray.

eReader Replacement USB Cable, Kindle, White (for Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle, Kindle Touch, and Kindle Keyboard)
Price: 9.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Rip off, 13 Feb 2014
What a staggering rip off 10 for a USB cable - oooo Mrs it is white! I have used many similar cables of all colours to charge my kindle with no problem at all. They normally come in at 1.50 to 4.00 depending on length.
If you are silly enough to want to waste your money buy this one!

3.5" All-In-One Internal Card Reader/Writer+4 Port USB Hub
3.5" All-In-One Internal Card Reader/Writer+4 Port USB Hub
Offered by Hielec(Ship from China)
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Its a snug fit for sure!!, 12 Feb 2014
Ordered and knew it was coming from China arrived 1 week in advance of the date promised by which was excellent.

No instructions and no drivers - non needed.

Fitted it and boy was it a snug fit into the 3.5" bay having said that so was the old one that I took out. Haveing pushed pulled and grunted it into position plugged it in fired up the PC and bob was indeed my uncle!

Works like a dream and at the cost its a snip.

Song Of The Wind
Song Of The Wind

5.0 out of 5 stars An oldie but a classic, 11 Feb 2014
This review is from: Song Of The Wind (MP3 Download)
Carlos Santana at his most magical. Still as good today as it was when it was first released - simply magic.

Turn down the lights turn up the volume and be carried away.

FENTON'S WINTER
FENTON'S WINTER
Price: 3.06

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, 11 Feb 2014
This review is from: FENTON'S WINTER (Kindle Edition)
It was OK but not his best I think. I didn't really warm to Fenton I suppose and the girlfriend who seemed to be a randy nurse seemed a little stereotypical (as a doctor) and not really germane to the story - rather just chucked into the mix. The roman Bacchanalia was not very believable either. The depiction of weather in Scotland was believable however and was unremittingly miserable.
Finally autoclaves big enough to fit a human are not found in hospital and to my knowledge never have been.

Fireangel CO-9B Basic LED Carbon Monoxide Alarm
Fireangel CO-9B Basic LED Carbon Monoxide Alarm
Price: 11.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and functional, 7 Feb 2014
I bought this for my narrow-boat as the one on board was well over 5 years old and although seemingly still functioning I didn't want to take the risk! It is small and neat and is easily wall mounted with the screws and wall plugs included. It runs on 2 x AA batteries which are also included. It has a large test button a red warning LED and a green power LED. The alarm siren is nice and loud as it should be. For the price It seems very good value and certainly seems well built and doesn't look or feel cheap..

Garden Furniture Centre - Dynasty Fire Pit Set
Garden Furniture Centre - Dynasty Fire Pit Set
Offered by The Garden Furniture Centre Ltd
Price: 1,250.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks like Jamie Oliver fire pit - but more expensive!, 6 Feb 2014
This looks just like Jamies fire pit (see my review) but more expensive!

I imagine that from the looks and product description it is a re-branded generic product and if so it will be as good as the Jamie Oliver badged product.

3 stars as, at the price, it is not as good value.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 20, 2014 4:27 PM GMT

Panasonic KX-PRW120GW AB Smartphone Connect
Panasonic KX-PRW120GW AB Smartphone Connect
Offered by PRICE PROMISE EXPEDITED DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS FREE WITHIN THE UK
Price: 98.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A very clever cordless home phone, 6 Feb 2014
I bought this from John Lewis as it was cheaper at 99.99. I am very pleased with it indeed. Consists of DEC cordless house phone handset and base station with rechargeable batteries for the handset and power supply and telephone cable for the base station. The unit is very stylish and the base station is small and neat and has an in built digital answering machine. The hand set has a colour display and so can show photographs of callers if the images are stored (see below). All the usual cordless phone options are available such as caller ID, call barring, a large capacity phone book for contacts, caller log, call holding and conference call set up.
Additionally the phone is SMS compatible which is neat and also there is a functional calendar. So far so good and nothing out of the ordinary.
The real game changer with this phone is its wireless capability and, with the use of an app (I phone and android)called Smartphone connect, the ability to use your mobile phone as a hand set to make and receive land line calls (as well as standard mobile calls) while at home. Hence there is no need to buy additional handsets to link with the base station as is usual with standard DEC phones there is one in the pipeline for this phone apparently). One base station can manage up to 4 mobile phones or tablets converting them effectively to land line phone handsets and each mobile when running the app can link to 4 base stations in case you have multiple properties equipped with this DEC phone.
Set up is simple plug in and link the base station to your home network, then load the app onto your mobile and link it to the base station. Then download your contacts from your mobile along with any images associated with contacts and you are good to go.
The app can be set to run in background mode so when at home the mobile auto logs on when you come though the front door. The base station wireless range is adequate for my three story property and it can even be set to act as a wireless range extender for the general home network if needed - you can buy these separately of course.
Reception and sound quality are excellent and one can hold mobile calls while picking up land line calls and vice versa. One can also use the mobile /handset pair as an intercom and also the handset can double as a baby monitor.
So, in summary, a very impressive product which serves to blur the line between landlines and mobile phones.
Highly recommended.

As an update the app does whack your iPhone battery if left running in the back ground so I switch the app off if not actually in the house.

A further update If you find trouble connecting with the Smartphone Connect app it is worth deleting the app and reinstalling it I was having real problems connecting and I did this and hey presto solid as a rock now.

Also if you have a large property you may benefit from a Panasonic range extender (look on E bay or on Amazon for "Panasonic DECT Repeater KX-A405CE, 4 Kanäle")

An additional point do not use WiFi range extenders as it confuses the base station and you loose connection to the smartphone problem is that the base station is connected to your router but your smartphone is connected t the extender and so...no conection!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20