Profile for Alex Lipitakis > Reviews

Content by Alex Lipitakis

Alex Lipitakis

To Rescue General Gordon (a steampunk short story) (Clockwork Imperium Book 1)
To Rescue General Gordon (a steampunk short story) (Clockwork Imperium Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little short story, 17 Mar. 2015
I found this a thoroughly enjoyable short story, a good old-fashioned rip-roaring adventure. There was a little bit of steampunk thrown in, but otherwise it felt like a Flashman-style story of the adventures of officers in the British Imperial army. I found the writing style engaging, making this a very easy read, and a good introduction to these characters. Also, love the cover!

Fox Red
Fox Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Great imagery and story, 23 July 2014
This review is from: Fox Red (Kindle Edition)
This was a refreshing change from the run of the mill fantasy books, exploring the levels that lie beneath our consciousness. I loved the way the author created a mysterious world where it wasn't initially clear what the natural rules were, and then led me through it, building it up in layers where new details were gradually revealed. There was some great imagery in there, and the descriptions of the "Dreaming World", and what lies beyond were superb. All in all I'd recommend this book if you like your fantasy with a dark side.

Underneath
Underneath

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable novella, 16 July 2014
This review is from: Underneath (Kindle Edition)
Nicely written novella, which built slowly to a great climax in the underground city. I liked the interactions between the lead character, her daughter, and the romantic interest. The empath idea was also intriguing, along with the concept of the emotional energy persisting long after events. I agree with some of the other reviewers that the concluding scenes could have been expanded further, but overall I would recommend this book.

Gaspar And The Fantastical Hats
Gaspar And The Fantastical Hats

5.0 out of 5 stars A well written and entertaining novella, 13 July 2014
A good, well paced story. The author has an engaging style that makes very easy reading, and manages to combine the light-hearted subject matter of the quest for fantastical hats, with some nicely executed plot twists and turns. I look forward to reading the full novel sequel.

Neptune Crossing (The Chaos Chronicles Book 1)
Neptune Crossing (The Chaos Chronicles Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good scifi, 13 Jun. 2014
Another holiday read, and I found it very enjoyable. A few parts weren't really necessary (e.g. the fight scene), hence the loss of a star, but I base my ratings on the general impression when I finish a book of whether it was an engrossing, gripping read, and I found this one easily kept me interested, and wanting to pick it up again to see what happened next. As a free e.book, it was exactly what I was looking for, and I'll probably read the next one.

ASUS 7 inch ME173X MeMO Pad Tablet (Blue) - (Mediatek MT8125 1.2GHz Processor, 1GB RAM, 16GB Storage, WLAN, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Android 4.2)

3.0 out of 5 stars Great, but Wifi issues seem to be well known, 13 Jun. 2014
I loved this tablet, and it did everything I wanted, with good camera, reasonable video, and sd card expansion. The only problem is that after a couple of weeks the wifi stopped connecting to any networks. A search on google shows that several people have had this issue, where it seems to hang on "obtaining IP address". A factory reset seems to have cured the problem (but for how long?). Now I have to reload all of my apps - make sure you back them up using something like google+. I didn't and now have to reinstall all manually, which I'm not looking forward to! Other than that issue though, so far a great little tablet.

A.I. Apocalypse (Singularity Series Book 2)
A.I. Apocalypse (Singularity Series Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good fast paced action, 13 Jun. 2014
I read this book while on holiday, and really enjoyed the ride. It kept me interested to the end, with fast-paced action throughout, and an engrossing story line. The writing was tight, easy to read, and the story well executed. There's some quite geeky techie stuff in it, but I guess it was required for the subject matter. This is the first novel I have read by this author, but I'll be interested to seek out some of his other books.