Profile for peregrine1 > Reviews

Anybody Can Write: a Playful Approach
Anybody Can Write: a Playful Approach
by roberta Jean Bryant

5.0 out of 5 stars One page copied and kept, 7 Nov. 2014
I skimmed this book years ago, and then it disappeared. All I can remember is a wonderful page, I think near the beginning which I photocopied, titled ' Trusting Yourself', and I re-discovered in a folder while looking for inspiration to help write my new poetry book.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars powdery, 3 May 2014
I was unhappy with the lack of taste of the valerian powder in the capsules, didn't have the usual herbal flavour I get from valerian root; will go back to grinding from the raw roots myself.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 20, 2014 11:58 PM BST

Storms of My Grandchildren: The Truth about the Coming Climate Catastrophe and Our Last Chance to Save Humanity
by James Hansen

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Important Book, 28 May 2013
I saw the hardback of this book in a charity shop in October 2010 and was surprised, because I remembered James Lovelock writing that Dr. Hansen was too busy doing the science to have time to write a book. When I got home and opened it I saw the photo of a child and understood: as he writes,he didn't want his grandchildren to say: "Opa understood what was happening, but he did not make it clear"(p.xii).

He conveys the science in a way that is broadly understandable to a non-scientist like myself, and makes clear his frustration with the political/ big business interests that he finds himself fighting against: 'Larry King... was sympathetic, but upon hearing that the major impacts of current bad policy would occur several decades in the future, he declared, "Nobody cares about fifty years from now."(p.131)

He warns in the book of destabilizing frozen methane on the tundra and continental shelves, and at present is working full-time against the development of tar sands oil, which he believes will be catastrophic for our futures. Scary stuff, I'm glad he went to the trouble of writing this book.

The Last Pope: Decline and Fall of the Church of Rome - Prophecies of St.Malachy for the New Millennium
by John Hogue

5.0 out of 5 stars quite insightful, 7 Jan. 2010
interesting the last reviewer wrote dismissively in Sept. 2000; a year later the world changed, and if the 1999 prophesy(p.341)is moved into 2001, Mabus scrabbled into Usama, it's not a bad guess for hundreds of years ago. 'China will negotiate a Sino/Pan-Islamic alliance...control the weapon of oil', etc. Well done Hogue, a thought-provoking read, and all up for grabs a decade later, with just one pope to go (if you believe Malachi).