Profile for Bob Shaw > Reviews

Davey's Mystery
Davey's Mystery
Price: 0.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Great game - little bit short, 6 July 2014
This review is from: Davey's Mystery (App)
They got the difficulty just right - not just randomly clicking about the screen until something happens - there is actually some intelligence required... But not too much :)
A bit too short, shame there aren't a few more chapters.

The Forgotten (John Puller 2)
The Forgotten (John Puller 2)
Price: 3.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, if a little far fetched, 14 April 2014
This is fiction - its supposed to be entertaining and this is very entertaining indeed...

Some references to Europeans suggest that David is American and doesnt know so much about modern Europe, but thats a tiny gripe as this was an amazing book which had me gripped from beginning to end.

Logitech K230 Wireless Keyboard - Black
Logitech K230 Wireless Keyboard - Black
Price: 18.32

2.0 out of 5 stars OK, but could be better, 14 April 2014
This is not an awful keyboard, so I dont want to trash it, but it is also not pocket money cheap so I want to be honest...

The panel on the left hand over the batteries is supplied with replaceable coloured covers - these are loose fitting and frequently fall off - possibly because it is difficult to be sure how to remove it and I first tried to slide sideways - this was the wrong choice!

As a compact keyboard there are compromises, and the travel of the keys is limited - I find it fine as an occasional keyboard, but I certainly wouldnt like to type a large amount as it feels pretty flimsy.

Intel DC3217IYE Barebone-PC (Intel Core i3 3217U, 1,8GHz, Intel HD 4000, no operating system)
Price: 192.32

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, but pricey..., 14 April 2014
This is probably one of the most expensive ways to get a "budget" HTPC - but its also one of the best. The build quality is fantastic and the fact that you are forced to use decent ram and an SSD means that you actually end up with a decent and speedy PC at the end of it. I certainly dont regret choosing this over the cheaper options.
To reference other reviews - I received the IYE model as ordered. Also beware - there is a light sensor in the box which makes a noise when you open the box - I opened it at night and nearly threw it across the room!

Sony MDR-J10L Over Ear Clip Style Headphones
Sony MDR-J10L Over Ear Clip Style Headphones
Offered by Five Star
Price: 6.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly comfortable, unbeleivably quiet..., 11 April 2014
When I am in bed listening to something and I dont want to wake my wife, these headphone are amazing. they really are comfortable, and the sound is good.
Anywhere else they encounter a pretty big problem - they sit so far out of your ear that they are impossible to hear...

Game Dev Story
Game Dev Story
Price: 1.60

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining but..., 8 Jan 2014
This review is from: Game Dev Story (App)
This is a fun little game with 'quirky' graphics and enjoyable gameplay...
But... The quirky graphics are a bit irritating on occasion, the game is not well explained and have benefited from a proper tutorial and it's also a bit repetitive.
Not bad though.

sugar, sugar
sugar, sugar
Price: 0.65

3.0 out of 5 stars A fresh take on a common fornat, 18 Sep 2013
This review is from: sugar, sugar (App)
This game is much the same as any number of others, but with the twist that you draw the line. It's quite entertaining and if you like this type of game it seems pretty well executed.

Bonnes Vacances: A Crazy Family Adventure in the French Territories
Bonnes Vacances: A Crazy Family Adventure in the French Territories
Price: 3.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 12 Aug 2013
I was lucky enough to see the TV series which this book accompanies, and it gave me an amusing insight into life behind the camera and the less glossy real life challenges of trying to drag a young family around the globe.

It's a shame that the TV series isn't available on DVD, but the book is an entertaining read on its own and even as somebody who has less than a passing interest in French culture, I highly recommend it.

WD - 2TB Desktop SATA Hard Drive - OEM - Green
WD - 2TB Desktop SATA Hard Drive - OEM - Green
Offered by Inkubus Bargains
Price: 62.58

3.0 out of 5 stars Seems fine, 12 Aug 2013
It's difficult to be gushing in a review of a hard drive!

It works, I can't say much more than that - I'm using it in a microserver to store my TV recordings - hardly a demanding role but it is performing entirely adequately...

RHA MA150 Noise Isolating In Ear Earphones
RHA MA150 Noise Isolating In Ear Earphones

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, 12 Aug 2013
I don't generally like in ear headphones because they fall out of my ears and I spend all of my time trying to push them back in. These have not fixed that problem, but they are better than most I have come across.

I generally listen to podcasts rather than music and for spoken word, these are pretty good. The noise isolation means you can set a much lower volume than would be needed for regular headphones and still hear well, voices seemed to be reproduced well.
The "eco" packaging basically means they come in a box - but as an online purchase there is no need for loads of plastic POS nonsense. So while not something that would factor in my buying decision, it is a nice step which I hope others follow.

The cord is very rubbery - which is surprisingly annoying because, as the headphones are pushed into your ears, any rubbing from clothes etc on the cord, gets transmitted into your ears

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5