Profile for zanek > Reviews

Operation Opium AKA Poppies are also Flowers [Video to DVD conversion]
Dvd ~ Rita Hayworth
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars VHS lives on, 21 Mar. 2015
This movie has several names and is available in several versions, so my review concentrates on explaining what you are getting with this version. As the seller makes clear, it is a video to DVD conversion - the video quality is what you might expect, i.e. poor, or worse. Think bad VHS. The sound is listenable, OK for dialogue. It is in English only. I guess it is watchable if you don't mind missing the visual details and colours absent in the VHS version and probably made worse in the conversion process. My other reason for giving it a poor rating is that it is a censored version - for example, the much publicised scene where Laya Raki wears a sparkly bikini has been substituted with one in which she wears a dressing gown. Who knows why. I don't know what else has been cut. On the plus side, it is very cheap, so gets a star!

1.95m Red Heavy Duty Workbench Shelving Unit for Warehouse/Garage/Sheds
1.95m Red Heavy Duty Workbench Shelving Unit for Warehouse/Garage/Sheds

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, 21 Mar. 2015
Arrives as a flat-pack, very easy to assemble. Top and shelf boards are half-inch chipboard - i.e. not very thick. Metal frame is pretty solid, and it has metal supports at the mid-way point under the top and the bottom shelf. Personally I wouldn't call this a 'heavy duty' bench (you wouldn't mount an anvil on it!) but it is pretty strong, and the metalwork is well fabricated compared to a lot of shelf units that use a similar bolt-free construction method. I think it's pretty good value for the size, compared with other benches on offer.

Poppies Are Also Flowers ( Danger Grows Wild) [Import] [DVD] [1967]
Poppies Are Also Flowers ( Danger Grows Wild) [Import] [DVD] [1967]
Dvd ~ Senta Berger
Offered by DaaVeeDee-uk

1.0 out of 5 stars This version is censored, 9 Mar. 2015
I was very surprised to find that this is a censored version of the film. Even a scene that is shown in a photograph on the back cover has been replaced by a censored version - i.e. Laya Raki is shown on the back cover wearing a sparkly bikini - in this version of the film she is wearing a dressing gown in that same scene. Unbelievable. I wonder what kind of authority required censorship of a beautiful woman wearing a bikini? I have no idea what else might have been cut or censored.
Contrary to the previous reviewer' comments, the copy I received has a choice of English or Spanish language.

10 x G9 25w Clear Halogen Lamps Light Bulbs 240v by Long Life Lamp Company
10 x G9 25w Clear Halogen Lamps Light Bulbs 240v by Long Life Lamp Company
Offered by Strictly Lamps

5.0 out of 5 stars very good, 4 Feb. 2015
Very pleased - all bulbs work perfectIy. I waited about a month before writing a review to see if the bulbs failed in a short time, as some reviewers experienced. No problems here at all. And the price is great. And the packaging is very good - lamps have individual wrapping as well as individual boxes. As others have suggested I used the wrapping to hold the bulbs to avoid skin contact. So on my experience (so far!) you can buy with confidence.

All the Way
All the Way
by Marie Darrieussecq

5.0 out of 5 stars extraordinary, moving, insightful, wonderful, 27 Dec. 2014
This review is from: All the Way (Paperback)
I cannot begin to understand the negative reviews of this extraordinary book. I bought a copy for my wife after hearing the eloquent, impressive and instantly likeable author Marie Darrieussecq interviewed on BBC Radio 4. My wife was very impressed with the book and recommended it to me. Having read it I agree totally with the positive reviewer who said they would give it 6 stars if they could.

This is a unique, funny, sad, and disarmingly honest book that is full of insight into the thoughts, feelings, confusions and questions that consume a young girl growing up in a small town in France. Her insecurities and naive attempts at making sense of the world and her own sexual development will surely strike a chord with so many of us, though few of us have expressed these thoughts and emotions with such clarity, humour and lack of inhibition. The particular context in which she is growing up, however, is far from a conventional one, with parents that appear to have offloaded most of their parental responsibilities (I don't want to give too much away here). As the book develops it is clear that the focus is not only on the girl's attempts to make sense of her sexuality, it is also about the development of her attitude to relationships with others.

The book is brilliantly written, with subtle choices of words and phrases that work so well to place the reader in the mind of the young girl. So much so that it is hard to believe it is a translation from the French. The language is full of idiomatic words and phrases that seem genuinely appropriate to a young girl who's first language is English, as she strives to make sense of the world, her body, relationships, her desires. And it does so with great humour and touching sensitivity. Some of the imagery and (the girl's) flights of fancy are almost surreal, adding an unpredictability and freshness to the text that is very special.

This is a unique book that seems to defy comparisons. At times I felt the writing had parallels with J.P. Donleavy's The Ginger Man (though it is decades since I last read that). I suspect 'All The Way' will stay in the memory as long as Donveavy's masterpiece.

'All The Way' is a great book, a surprising book, a book that helped me understand a little more about the human condition. And it did it with style, humour and a wonderful lack of inhibition. As soon as I finished reading it I ordered other books by Marie Darrieussecq. I cannot praise it more highly - it really does deserve 6 stars!

Layley
Layley
by John Donegan

3.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 8 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Layley (Hardcover)
This is a small size book (7.5 inches tall) with 148 pages of mostly nude photos of one girl, Layley. Many photos are full-page, some half page and some pages have four very small images. The photos are all monochrome - but they are not really in black and white - rather the tonal range is very narrow - they are different shades of mid-grey. For me it lacks variation and contrast, the photos taken inside a kitchen having similar tones to those taken in a bathroom, on a beach, in a barn or in a garden. The lighting is mostly very flat, with minimal shadow on the model.

With a collection of images focused wholly on one model for 148 pages, that model really needs to be something special. When I saw the cover image of Layley I thought the model's facial features looked rather masculine, but other reviewers commented on her beauty, so I gave it the benefit of doubt. Beauty is subjective of course, but to me, throughout the collection her face could not be described as feminine or pretty, and certainly not beautiful, and in some photos it looks masculine. Worse, unfortunately Layley really only has one expression, a kind of blank almost bored look. She has a slim figure and goes through a range of poses with little inhibition but no great enthusiasm. The scenarios, including open-leg poses, nipple clamps, etc. should be erotic, but the blandness of her expression coupled with the blandness of the mid-grey prints leave it all looking very dull. The lack of intimacy in her expressions is echoed by the lack of close-ups - it is all very arm's length from the viewer.

In short, I don't see what the other reviewers see in this collection at all. A disappointment.

Battery powered bug zapper
Battery powered bug zapper
Offered by BargainShop_London

2.0 out of 5 stars cats don't like it, 7 Aug. 2014
If you have a cat you should know that the high-pitched noise this gadget makes scares cats so much they run away. I don't know if it damages their hearing but I wouldn't use the zapper with cats in the room. Apart from that I have found the gadget to be almost useless as a fly-zapper. You can't swat flies that are sitting on any surface because the frame is too thick. If flies are in the air you might as well swat them with a regular swatter that doesn't need batteries.

Ride
Ride

5.0 out of 5 stars stunning, 21 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Ride (Audio CD)
This is such a great album. Really strong voice, effortless power with very nice tone. The songs are equally strong - there isn't a dud on the album. 'Ready to Fall' is awesome, with hooks you'll never forget - e.g.the irresistible way she sings "oh I do love dancing down a hardwood hall". The track released as the first single, 'You don't lie here any more' is power country-rock at it's very best. 'Fear of flying' in a real classic - turn it up loud and let the chorus wash over you. It's like Miranda Lambert's wonderful 'Lying here' in it's lyrical emotional power. I can't believe Shelly was dropped by Columbia a year after this album came out. Morons. There is a 2011 album called 'Ruby's money' available online for download.

Note that the negative reviews below are negative for technical reasons nothing to do with the music or Shelly.

Erotique Derrieres (Us Version)
Erotique Derrieres (Us Version)
by Carlton Books

3.0 out of 5 stars ok, butt........., 15 Jun. 2014
The title is quite misleading - the images selected do not focus exclusively, or even predominantly, on derrieres, and I would not describe many of them as 'erotic'. Rather than featuring derrieres, many of the photos are 3/4 or full-length rear-view shots of females, often with the model's back dominating the image. Erotic responses to images are very subjective of course. To me, the photos are mostly tasteful and restrained, they might be described as sensual and indeed some are beautiful, but they lack the edginess, riskiness, charged passion or sexual intimacy of erotic images. Many models are clothed (mainly lingerie), or otherwise shadows conceal the intimate details. I would think the nude images fall more into the categories of 'art nude' or 'figure studies' than erotica.

Physically the book page size is just about large enough to do justice to the images, except that many photos (maybe half of them) are not full page in size. It's a pretty thin book too. Space is given to quotations about derrieres, some of which are amusing. In short, this is a rather tame collection that should have been titled 'rear views' or something similar. If it had been, I would award 4 stars, but as the title promises something that is not delivered, I think it barely deserves 3 stars.

Showa 370 FLOREO - Mango 8/Large - Lightweight Gardening Gloves
Showa 370 FLOREO - Mango 8/Large - Lightweight Gardening Gloves
Offered by parkroyaltimbersltd

1.0 out of 5 stars "Large"? I don't think so, 7 Feb. 2014
These gloves are described (and marked) as 'large' but they are very small - I can just about stretch them over my hands but the glove fingers are about half the length of my fingers, and my hand feels totally constricted. I had to take them off straight away and threw them in the bin. Useless.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3