ARRAY(0xaa063f78)

Marching With Caesar: Birth of the 10th Legion
Marching With Caesar: Birth of the 10th Legion
Price: 3.13

5.0 out of 5 stars Another 5 stars, 15 Mar 2014
I nearly didn't buy this as it covers a lot of ground that appeared in the 1st book, even to the extent that a lot of the text is the same, but I still really enjoyed it. This is how I imagine the author would have possibly liked to have started the series as it expands on Titus' childhood and formative years. If you have read the rest then this is a must. Bravo Mr R.W., Bravo.

Marching With Caesar: Rebellion
Marching With Caesar: Rebellion
Price: 3.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great read., 15 Mar 2014
I tend to lose interest in long series of books, but I'm happy to say that this is not the case with the continuation of the Pullus family trials and tribulations. Its as good as all the rest and has left me eager to get hold of the next chapter. As far as I am concerned that is about as high a praise as I can give the book, and R.W is now firmly one of my favourite authors. He is right up there with Gemmell, Iggledon, Darman and Scarrow. Buy it now.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 21, 2014 9:04 PM GMT

Marching With Caesar-Rise of Augustus
Marching With Caesar-Rise of Augustus
Price: 3.58

5.0 out of 5 stars buy it, 5 Sep 2013
This is a very short review, if you have read the rest, this is a no brainer. Its the same standard as the preceding 4 books and continues our hero's trials and tribulations in the army of Rome. If you haven't read the previous 4, buy them as they are right up with the historical fiction book of Iggulden, Gemmell and Cornwall. I can give no higher praise.

Caesar Triumphant
Caesar Triumphant
Price: 4.18

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like good battle scenes..., 5 Sep 2013
This review is from: Caesar Triumphant (Kindle Edition)
I hadn't read the blog that the author had created as an outline to this book, but was pleasantly surprised when I went to purchase the 5th marching book and found the completed version of Triumphant as well, so I bought them both. Good decision. I can't think of another author who has written about Caesar avoiding his death, which I found strange as the story was pretty much set out with the upcoming Parthian campaign already to go. So I was looking forward to see where R.W was going to take it. Japan!!, ok lets go with it. The forward explains why he made the choice of destination so I delved in.

This is such a fast paced book that its almost impossible to put down, because something is always happening or about to happen. While most of the characters that we all enjoyed are still in the book, its not written in the 3rd person (Pullus) like the others, so it explores the feelings and thoughts of quite a few people, including Caesar, which adds to the story.

The main battle scene is epic in scale and detail, it seems to last about half the book and you are never really sure that all is not lost and all the characters that you have gotten into over the previous 5 books will end up dead. Quite often I found myself shouting in my head ''NO, HE CAN'T'' as I got deeper into the battle.

I can't give it a fuller review as it would spoil it for new readers, so in conclusion BUY IT. If you have enjoyed the marching series you will love this as well.

My only criticism is that this could well have been a new series, starting with the aforementioned Parthian campaign and concluding with this book. Its like all good things, you just don't want them to end.

Great book, great author, look forward to the 6th marching book.

Emperor: The Blood of Gods (Special Edition) (Emperor Series, Book 5)
Emperor: The Blood of Gods (Special Edition) (Emperor Series, Book 5)
Price: 3.32

3.0 out of 5 stars Ooooops, 27 Jun 2013
Conn's books up to now have been among my favourites of all time, with the Emperor series particularly high on my list, so I must admit to being quite excited when I got this. I was crushingly disappointed. Even being a history buff, I didn't mind that throughout the Emperor series, history had been changed here and there to fit in with the story as the books were such an enjoyable read, and the introduction of fictional characters and the omission of quite important characters in the real story bothered me not at all, such was my enjoyment. So what happened here?

Brutus hardly knows Octavian in the new book which is surprising considering how much time they spent together in the last 4. what happened to Domitian, Ciro and the rest of the crew, surely just a paragraph to either kill them off or retire them would have been tidier. It seems with the introduction of some of the real historical characters and trying to be a little (not much) closer to actual history, this book lost its soul along the way. For those readers without a passing knowledge of the period but who have enjoyed the 4 previous books, there would have been a lot of "where the hell did he come from? " going on.

This would have been far better billed as a stand alone book, not as No5 of the series, with a footnote distancing this book from the rest. Then I would have been able to fully enjoy it, as it actually (once I got my head around it) is really quite good.

So in conclusion, don't read this expecting it to be No5, it isn't, but saying that I hope Conn now tidies it all up and does the final book and documents the fall of Antony and expands the story of Agrippa who was quite an extraordinary man.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 13, 2013 7:32 PM BST

Marching With Caesar-Antony and Cleopatra: Part II-Cleopatra
Marching With Caesar-Antony and Cleopatra: Part II-Cleopatra
Price: 3.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Peake no 4, 19 April 2013
Another great read from Mr Peake. I have thoroughly enjoyed all 4 of the marching with Caesar books and they are up there with Conn Igguldon's Emperor 'quadrology', which is just about the highest praise I can give for books about this era. Well written, fast paced and with enough action to satisfy lovers of all things martial. Igguldon is releasing a 5th in the series and I would like to think that Mr Peake will follow suit and continue the tale of Titus Pullus. MOOOOOORE PLEASE.