Profile for bob blake > Reviews

Content by bob blake

bob blake

Page: 1 | 2
Tower Lord: Book 2 of Raven's Shadow (A Raven's Shadow Novel)
Tower Lord: Book 2 of Raven's Shadow (A Raven's Shadow Novel)

5.0 out of 5 stars A great, great book, 31 Oct 2014
A great, great book. As good as the first and it just makes you want to get hold of the third instalment. When is it coming out?

Blood Song: Book 1 of Raven's Shadow (A Raven's Shadow Novel)
Blood Song: Book 1 of Raven's Shadow (A Raven's Shadow Novel)

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great book. I was just looking around for something ..., 24 Oct 2014
What a great book.

I was just looking around for something new to read and saw this with all the 5 star reviews, so I thought ok, if that many people are saying its good I'll give it a go. (please post reviews, they help a lot with new authors).

A good decision. I was hooked from the start. It's Gemmell at his finest. Yes its that good. I bought the 2nd book after the first 20 odd pages and I am just about to start it. Buy it.

For Rapture of Ravens: The Sorrow Song Trilogy: Part Two
For Rapture of Ravens: The Sorrow Song Trilogy: Part Two

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 16 Oct 2014
Great book, great author, if historical fiction is your thing buy it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 17, 2014 7:52 AM BST

A Short History Of Nearly Everything
A Short History Of Nearly Everything

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best writers out there, 16 Oct 2014
One of the best writers out there, I'm sure he could make a train timetable funny, interesting and enjoyable.

Valour (The Faithful and The Fallen Series Book 2)
Valour (The Faithful and The Fallen Series Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book, it is as engaging as the first ..., 16 Oct 2014
A great book, it is as engaging as the first and I can't wait for the third and concluding chapter. If you loved David Gemmell, you will love this as well.

Malice: The Faithful and the Fallen: Book One (The Faithful and The Fallen Series 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars I bought this book (and the second one) on a whim after seeing Conn Iggledon gave it a good review. A good decision, 10 Oct 2014
At last!!
I bought this book (and the second one) on a whim after seeing Conn Iggledon gave it a good review. A good decision. For quite a while I have been waiting for somebody to write a decent fantasy book a la' David Gemmell, and here it is. He states that his inspirations are DG and George rrrrrrrrrr Martin and he is bang on the money. It takes a little while to get into who the characters are and there are a few 'who is that again' moments, but stick with it because it is worth it. Its almost as good as a Gemmell and that's all I need to say. Enjoy.

Waterloo: The History of Four Days, Three Armies and Three Battles
Waterloo: The History of Four Days, Three Armies and Three Battles

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 26 Sep 2014
Great book, great insight. just what you would expect from BC.

Babylon- Dawn of Empire
Babylon- Dawn of Empire

2.0 out of 5 stars A book that could have been written by me., 28 Aug 2014
A book that could have been written by me is not a good thing, because I am not an accomplished author and I would probably feel I would let down my readers and unfortunately, that's how I feel about this book. Its a great subject and we only know a little about this period in time, so I was expecting the author to let his imagination run riot and tell a great story of conquest, battle and glory and how the Babylonians came to dominate this region.

Crushingly disappointed.

I am an avid historical/historical fiction reader and appreciate fast paced but informative books. This is SO fast paced that it took me half the book to know what the hell a 'camel boy' actually did. The battle scene's were over in a flash, dull and didn't transport me into the fighting like I would have expected, and pretty much all I got out of it was that all the Babylonian commanders were tactical genius' by the age of 15, and their opponents were pretty much idiots who shouldn't have been in charge of a crèche, let alone an army. None of the characters were developed at all because the book was too short so I really didn't get to know much about them, apart from somewhere near the end Hammurabi dies. My kindle download had a fault at 96% and requested that I delete then re-download from the cloud, but I couldn't be bothered. If you read Iggledon, Scammell, Peake, Gemmell, Darwin, Cornwall etc., do not buy this book. Right, off to delete this from my kindle.

A New Era: Marching With Caesar
A New Era: Marching With Caesar

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great read in the Pullis saga, 5 Aug 2014
The author that just keeps on giving. Another great read in the Pullis saga. Equally as good as all of the previous books, Mr Peake is solidly up there with Gemmell, Iggledon, Cornwall, Scammell and Darman. More please and quick as you like.

The City
The City

3.0 out of 5 stars I so wanted to like this book., 24 May 2014
This review is from: The City (Kindle Edition)
When I saw Stella had written this book I had no hesitation about buying it, as I had been impressed with how she had finished David's Fall of Kings. I didn't even read any of the reviews and ploughed on in.

This isn't a bad book. The problem is this is nowhere near as good as any David Gemmell book, and you can may well ask 'well what is', but for me, the expectation was there and I was very disappointed. There is so much that never got explained in this book and left you kind of scratching your head, especially when it came to the ''mysterious powers' of the ancients. OK, the first time one of them kills a whole heap of people without telling us how, you think all will be revealed as you head towards the big finale. Er no it isn't and that is the problem with the whole book.

When reading David's books, even if you sort of guessed where the story line was heading, it was still exciting and absorbing and as you reached the climax of the story everything was clear in your head. As I got towards the end of the book I just wanted it to be over, as I was sick of thinking who the hell is that again. Just about every main character has at least 1 name change, and while this should be easy to follow it isn't, mainly because the story isn't gripping you, and it just gets bloody annoying as the book flips from 1 to the other every dozen pages or so.

So in summary, not a great book but I will probably buy the next in the hope it will be better. It just reinforces how much I miss DG.

Page: 1 | 2