ARRAY(0xb61c9a08)

Profile for The Green Man > Reviews

Content by The Green Man

The Green Man (Broceliande)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Silence and Honey Cakes: The Wisdom of the Desert
Silence and Honey Cakes: The Wisdom of the Desert
Price: 3.71

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving and inspiring, 18 Dec 2013
This is only a short book, but it is worth reading slowly. The Desert Fathers (and Mothers) are a treasure trove in their own right; here Rowan Williams distils some themes from their teachings and shows how they are still important to us today. As I finish this book I'm back on Amazon looking for some more Williams to feed myself with.

A Modern Witch (A Modern Witch Series: Book 1)
A Modern Witch (A Modern Witch Series: Book 1)
Price: 2.56

4.0 out of 5 stars Thumbs Up!, 1 Feb 2013
This was a real feel good book. No big twists, or traumas, but the characters are well drawn, and there's a lot of laughter along the way. My only, small, hesitation is about the amount of power Aervyn possesses. He's one of my favourite characters, but I can't see what else he can do after his achievements here. Anyway, I'll definitely be getting the next book in the series, as this was perfect for cheering me up when life gets dark.

Delphi Complete Works of Charles Dickens (Illustrated)
Delphi Complete Works of Charles Dickens (Illustrated)
Price: 1.83

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - and excellent service!, 24 Dec 2012
When I first downloaded this book I did have problems with it. But Delphi Classics went to a lot of trouble to rectify these, and I can thoroughly recommend this to anyone interested in Dickens. Novels, short stories, plays, poetry, non-fiction, as well as adaptations, critical essays and biographies (including "My Father As I Recall Him" by Mamie Dickens) - EVERYTHING is here! This is a library in itself and, at under 2, quite outstanding value.

I am highly impressed with Delphi Classics for producing such a volume, and for the trouble they went to to ensure that I was happy with their product.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 28, 2012 3:11 PM GMT

A Hidden Fire: Elemental Mysteries Book One
A Hidden Fire: Elemental Mysteries Book One
Price: 0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Impressed!, 20 Dec 2012
This is an excellent novel, all the more impressive in that it is Hunter's debut. The characters are very well drawn (with the possible exception of the 5000 yr old, who seems rather modern) and interact convincingly, with lots of humour along the way. There's a strong sexual undercurrent here, which is all the better because it remains unconsummated. I, for one, have got bored with the mechanically explicit sex scenes that seemed to have become compulsory in paranormal romances. It was great to hear B saying to Gio, "Wow! It's so big!" and know she was talking about his library.

Having read this I'm definitely going to hunt down the rest of the series.

The Horse and His Boy (The Chronicles of Narnia, Book 3)
The Horse and His Boy (The Chronicles of Narnia, Book 3)
Price: 2.99

2.0 out of 5 stars An Americanised Version, 25 Nov 2012
I want to treat myself to all the Narnia books on Kindle, and I bought this as it was the one I remembered least clearly. The story is as wonderful as ever, but why has the spelling been changed from English to American? I want to get books as the author wrote them, and there is something very English about the whole Narnia series. So the story gets 5 stars, but the formatting only 2.

Byards - Attacking Tiger T-Shirt - Black (Large)
Byards - Attacking Tiger T-Shirt - Black (Large)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 24 Sep 2012
A great t-shirt, at a very reasonable price. It looked good in the picture; it looks even better in real life. I'm delighted with it.

Dodger
Dodger
by Terry Pratchett
Price: 9.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 24 Sep 2012
This review is from: Dodger (Hardcover)
I feel bad about writing this review as I've been a fan of Pratchett's for years. He's written many excellent books, which I can go back to and see jokes I missed the first time. Sadly this isn't one of them. Despite all the information about sewers, this is a sanitized version of Dickens, without his uncomfortable edge. And, worst of all, this just isn't very funny. So we're left with a very good writer producing a dull pastiche of a great writer. I'm left wondering why Pratchett wanted to write a book like this - and the feeling that it probably wouldn't have got into print if he wasn't already famous.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 5, 2012 8:04 PM GMT

Pride and Prescience (Mr & Mrs Darcy Mystery)
Pride and Prescience (Mr & Mrs Darcy Mystery)
by Carrie Bebris
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

1.0 out of 5 stars So bad it's funny, 18 Sep 2012
The basic elements tell you this is going to be bad: Elizabeth and Darcy as detectives, investigating a supernatural mystery. I suppose I should be grateful that Bebris didn't give them a large hungry dog as well, for "Pride and Prescience" is closer to Scooby Doo than to Jane Austen. Austen's style is notoriously difficult to imitate, so the frequent Americanisms should be no surprise; however they are a constant reminder that this novel is a long way away from the original.

If you're feeling depressed and want a laugh, then this is the book for you. If you want Austen, or even a good mystery, stay well away from it.

Ghost Story: A Dresden Files novel
Ghost Story: A Dresden Files novel
by Jim Butcher
Price: 7.19

1.0 out of 5 stars Pantomime, 18 Sep 2012
The best thing about this book is that Dresden is a ghost in it, unable to affect the material world directly. That does provide an interesting twist, and means he sometimes thinks before he acts. However, that is not enough to redeem the book. Events are dragged out, there is masses of padding, and the bad guys just aren't scary. I felt I'd wandered into a pantomime where we were meant to hiss the villains without ever being menaced by them. Without giving anything away, I also felt cheated by the events of the final chapter. This book need serious editing; if it were half the length it might be twice as good. "Ghost Story" goes on too long; sadly I feel the Dresden Files have also. It's time Butcher ended the series.

Melting Stones (Circle Reforged)
Melting Stones (Circle Reforged)
by Tamora Pierce
Price: 5.37

3.0 out of 5 stars Well......, 24 May 2012
I've very much enjoyed Pierce's earlier works, especially her Circle series, but this one didn't work for me. The plot was predictable, the characters lightly drawn, and even the magic seemed a bit flat. Only get this if you're a big fan, and want every word Pierce has written.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6