Profile for OliviaMJ > Reviews

Content by OliviaMJ

OliviaMJ "olivia5" (Hants. UK)

Acrylics (Collins 30-Minute Painting)
Acrylics (Collins 30-Minute Painting)
by Soraya French

5.0 out of 5 stars Vibrant Colour, 4 Nov 2009
Not having come across the 30 minute series before, I thought I would buy Acrylics by Soraya French. I was not disappointed. There is far more than 30 minutes worth of expertise and knowledge packed into this little book. I love Soraya French's use of vibrant colours and her simple explanations of the methods she uses to create her exciting pictures. There are so many tips packed into this little book that I will be dipping into it again and again.

Fossil Ladies Genuine Brown Leather Strap Watch With Pink Water Dial
Fossil Ladies Genuine Brown Leather Strap Watch With Pink Water Dial

5.0 out of 5 stars Delighted!, 24 May 2009
I'm delighted with my watch; it is comfortable and cleverly designed, for as well as telling the time, it is full of surprises that keep floating into view!

Instances of the Number 3
Instances of the Number 3
by Salley Vickers

3.0 out of 5 stars meandering, 12 May 2007
I like a book with pace and I'm afraid this book didn't do it for me. I didn't believe in the characters, I couldn't work out where the story was going and even at the end it meandered across the finish line. I was disappointed. Sally's other novels Miss Garnet's Angel and Mr. Golightly's holiday were unputdownable. I would definitely chose those over this one.

Separate Ways
Separate Ways
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars This is Teddy not daddy, 27 May 2006
This review is from: Separate Ways (Audio CD)
I saw Teddy Thompson at the Wedgwood Rooms in Portsmouth. He's charming, witty, quirky, and above all he can sing - the words come from his heart. 'Separate Ways' the album's title and you know he's been through it, stood out in the rain and waited. 'I should get up', how many of us have been there, fighting the blankets knowing that we ought to rise but wanting the comfortable sanctuary. Insistent, however, there is no sanctuary here, we must get up. With no backing except his guitar 'Sorry to see me go', perhaps cornily, he sang this as an encore at Portsmouth, is simple and soulful. Track 4, `I wish it was over'; haunting, you know he doesn't really mean it. Not all the songs however are about lost love, 'Everybody move it', this is a party, no frowns allowed and I defy anybody to sit still for `That's enough out of you'; superb guitarist by the way. I love the richness of `Altered State' with the guitar of you-know-who in the background, which brings me on to a plea. Please people, stop, referring to RT in your write-ups. This is Teddy not daddy.

A Wayne in a Manger
A Wayne in a Manger
by Gervase Phinn

5.0 out of 5 stars If you know anything about children, 9 Mar 2006
This review is from: A Wayne in a Manger (Hardcover)
If you know anything about children you'll love this book. Every story is so readable and the children absolutely believable; who wouldn't shout out if they saw the Angel Gabriel's frock caught up in her pink knickers.
The Christmas story to end all: "A Wayne in a Manger" is absolutely correct because that's the way the lad heard it, children do mis-hear words and phrases that is why this book is so funny and so readable.

Ainsley Harriott's Friends & Family Cookbook: Over 200 Reasons to Eat In
Ainsley Harriott's Friends & Family Cookbook: Over 200 Reasons to Eat In
by Ainsley Harriott

5.0 out of 5 stars This cook book is the best ever, 9 Mar 2006
This cook book is the best ever.
Page 79, I've just cooked gratin of penne with spinach and tomatoes, added some mushrooms and it was mmmm, scrummy. Page 128, Caribbean lamb and sweet potato curry with clap-hand roti, sounds complicated but try it, it really isn't and tastes wonderful. Until recently I'd never tasted pine nuts, they're delicious and Ainsley uses them in his Page 82 recipe, chicken pasta salad with pine nuts, delicious. Page 67 pan-fried plaice with crispy bacon, so easy.
The chapter headings are so inviting too: "Spice it up" - describes it exactly; "Home alone" - scrumptious meals for one or two; "Friends for dinner" - anything prepared in advance is fine by me; "Alfresco dining" - how to make burgers (they're so tasty you'll never want to eat another shop bought burger again).
In fact all the recipies I've tried have been mouth wateringly successful.
Thanks Ainsley

Aphrodite's Child
Aphrodite's Child

3.0 out of 5 stars flat not flat, 18 Mar 2005
This review is from: Aphrodite's Child (Audio CD)
Although in tune, I found this album flat in expression. I don't know whether it was the recording or the singer's inability to bring any feeling to the words she was singing but I found this album joyless.

The Paul Robeson Legacy
The Paul Robeson Legacy

5.0 out of 5 stars Paul Robeson's spirit lives, 25 July 2004
This review is from: The Paul Robeson Legacy (Audio CD)
Paul Robeson's spirit lives in the black velvet voice of Sir Willard White. This charming man leaves his operatic personae and takes on the mantle of the legendary Paul Robeson.
Willard's passionate rendition of "Joe Hill" and "Scandalize my Name" expresses the intensity of the oppression suffered by the black peoples of this earth and for which Paul Robeson campaigned throughout his life to bring to world attention. The pure quality of a master craftsman emanates from Willard's rich voice rendition of "Witness", "Go Down Moses", and "Didn't my Lord Deliver Daniel" three of the deep dark Old Testament stories that were turned into spiritual songs.
But for pure fun and if you've never heard a trumpet talk before, just listen to Guy Barker on "Lazy Bones" and you'll be blown away with the pure cheeky eloquence of the man. The same goes for "Ezekiel Saw the Wheel" and "All God's Children Got a Robe", just listen to those li'l kids stompin' and flyin' about up there.
"Mood Indigo"; liquid bronze in the voice of Willard White, it just oozes. "Eriskay Love Lilt"; ooh ladies, how can you resist this beautiful voice.
So maybe it doesn't matter that "The Paul Robeson Legacy" doesn't include "Ol' Man River" but I doubt it. I still give you top marks though Willard!

Essential Anuna
Essential Anuna
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Anuna - a pure breath of Ireland, 13 Mar 2004
This review is from: Essential Anuna (Audio CD)
Having seen and heard the charming and haunting Anuna recently at The Anvil Theatre, Basingstoke, I can thoroughly recommend this lovely breath of Ireland. The language of their songs and the beauty and purity of their ethereal voices transcend all; to hear them singing live is an absolute must. This CD captures the essence of Anuna from the haunting melodies of 'Siuil, a Ruin' and the 'Blue Bird' to the gaiety of 'Fionghuala' and 'The Rising of the Sun' but if I have to choose a favourite song from this album, its got to be 'The Flower of Maherally', this love song haunted me from the minute I first heard it and I love it still.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 25, 2012 10:08 PM BST