Profile for jhayward > Reviews

Content by jhayward

jhayward

Page: 1 | 2
JBL Charge 2 Wireless Bluetooth USB Rechargeable Portable Stereo Speaker - Black
Offered by Yk dealz

5.0 out of 5 stars Mine sounds great, 23 Nov. 2014
Had mine for a few days now and it sounds great. I've not had any of the low or mid volume distortion issues that others have shared.

I tested it in the shop before I bought it, as I was worried about the negative reviews but I had also read a lot of other reviews that rated it very highly.

Overall I'm really pleased with it.

Young Bruce Lee [Blu-ray]
Young Bruce Lee [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Tony Leung Ka Fai
Offered by Direct-Offers-UK-FBA

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but beware it might not be what you're expecting, 4 Jun. 2011
This is a good film and one that I did enjoy but I must say that it's not what I expected. After seeing the trailer and checking out the synopsis, my expectations were that this would be a film tracing Bruce Lee's early life, his journey to stardom and his martial arts. What you get is the first two but this film is severely lacking in the martial arts.

It misses huge chunks of his martial arts development and while there are a couple of fights you will no doubt be disappointed. The characters even allude to Bruce Lee's fighting skills but we just don't get to see him actually develop and train. It's like there is a huge gap in the narrative.

I feel I must also give Cine Asia a slap on the wrist. They usually do a great job with these movies, but the case sleeve features 7 images, 6 of which are depicting fight scenes, which is very misleading. The copy on the back is even worse; I quote "Showcasing an incredible hi-impact tribute to the celebrated Coliseum fight from Way of the Dragon, Young Bruce Lee is an inspirational motion picture event that is not to be missed!" Don't believe this for an instant.

However, despite my criticism, I still feel that this is a very good film with some good performances and cinematography. It's narrated by and based on the book by Bruce's younger, Robert Lee, who gives a touching tribute to his brother. Just beware this film is more about Bruce Lee the man, than Bruce Lee the legend.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 14, 2011 8:51 AM BST

Tao of Jeet Kune Do
Tao of Jeet Kune Do
by Bruce Lee

5.0 out of 5 stars Way ahead of its time, 3 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Tao of Jeet Kune Do (Paperback)
This is a superb book and well worth reading if you're interested in martial arts or Bruce Lee. It can be a little disjointed and difficult to read as it is written in short paragraphs that do not always flow but it's well worth sticking with as this book is oozing with pearls of wisdom from the great man. This book is the closest I'll ever get to training but it's apparent that his philosophies were and still are way ahead of their time. In fact I imagine that this book will be just as relevant in 50 years time as it is now.

Facing Violence: Preparing for the Unexpected
Facing Violence: Preparing for the Unexpected
by Rory Miller

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than Meditations on Violence!, 31 May 2011
Rory Miller's book, Meditations on Violence, is one of my favourite self-defence books of all time and this one is even better. If the first book was an introduction to violence this is the senior's class. The subtitle to the book is Preparing for the Unexpected and while it does cover a small amount of ground from Miller's previous book it doesn't labour it and instead uses it as a starting point for further exploration.

The topics covered include: the legal and ethical issues, the dynamics of violence, avoiding violence, the counter-ambush, the freeze, what to do when you do need to fight and dealing with the aftermath. All the sections are fantastic with Miller not just drawing on his considerable experience but also the work of others like psychologists, anthropologists and criminologists. Yet, despite this extra depth the book remains very readable.

One of the chapters that stands out for me is the first one about the law and ethics. In here there is a superb section on criminal and civil courts. I know a fair bit about criminal and civil court due to my health and safety training so it's refreshing to see it discussed in more detail. Another section I really like is about freezing in a dangerous situation. This section spans some 16 pages and goes into detail about what happens within us when we freeze, why it happens and what we can do to recognise it and do to break it.

Overall I really think that this book is superb and I really like the extra depth that you don't usually find in these types of books. If I had one criticism it is that I have been spoilt with this extra depth and now I want more but that's what the further reading section is for. That said, I really am struggling to think of another book that brings together so much self-defence knowledge within its covers. It really is essential reading even if you think you've read everything on self-defence, I guarantee this book will surprise you.

Sparring: Strategy, Tactics, Technique
Sparring: Strategy, Tactics, Technique
by Bob Breen

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Sparring Book, 3 April 2011
This is an excellent book for anyone interested in sparring. It caters for both beginners and sparring veterans as it starts off slowly and gradually picks up speed revealing some great hints and tips. There are loads of drills and exercises along the way to help you integrate the techniques and really help you develop the quick responses that often elude you when you're learning something new. The strategic aspects of the book are also incredibly useful and I've picked up so many neat tricks for breaking down even the toughest of opponents. I also want to mention the quality of the book; the photos, in particular, are superb and it's clear that a lot of love has gone into creating this excellent book.

Martial Arts Instruction: Applying Educational Theory and Communication Techniques
by Lawrence A. Kane

5.0 out of 5 stars What every instructor should know, 3 April 2011
This book is my favourite book on teaching martial arts; it has so much depth that you'll want to keep referring back to it as you apply the techniques. It contains a lot of educational theory but it's presented in an accessible way using examples that martial artists will be able to recognise and relate to. The book does have a Karate focus but it's discussed in such a way that it's easy to apply the theories and techniques to your own art. I highly recommend this book very highly, even if you only occasionally help out with teaching martial arts.

Teaching Martial Arts: The Way of the Master
Teaching Martial Arts: The Way of the Master
by Sang H. Kim

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book on teaching martial arts, 3 April 2011
When I first became an Assistant Instructor I was very keen to learn as much as I could about teaching. Admittedly I have learnt the majority of my skills from my masters but this book was a huge help. The book covers a huge range of subjects: like what makes a good martial arts teacher, how to teach different age ranges, motivating students, cultivating discipline and respect and how to cope with disruptive students. Overall an excellent book, but if I was only going to buy one book on teaching martial arts I would buy Martial Instruction by Lawrence A. Kane as it does everything this book does and much more.

The Anatomy of Stretching: Your Illustrated Guide to Flexibility and Injury Rehabilitation
by Brad Walker

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for all sports, including martial arts, 3 April 2011
This for me is the best place to start when understanding stretching and its role in sports training. The book contains a wealth of information about the make-up of muscles and how stretching improves flexibility and helps prevent injury. However the main part of the book is the 128 stretches, which are grouped into different areas and each stretch has details about the technique, the muscles being stretched, common mistakes and injuries that the stretch can help with. I really rate this book but for martial arts I would recommend also owning 'Ultimate Flexibility: A Complete Guide to Stretching for Martial Arts' by Sang H Kim.

Fighter's Fact Book: Street Fighting Essentials: No. 2
Fighter's Fact Book: Street Fighting Essentials: No. 2
by Loren W. Christensen

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 3 April 2011
I have both this and the first book and I would say that this is the better one to get. It has a number of chapters written by different martial artists all giving great advice on a number of subjects including topics on punching power, shock blocks, chokes and clinching. There's even a chapter on what to do if a dog attacks you. All the contributors are well-established martial artists and writers so you can be sure that they know what they're talking about. A valuable resource.

The Gift of Fear: Survival Signals That Protect Us from Violence
The Gift of Fear: Survival Signals That Protect Us from Violence
by Gavin de Becker

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb self-defence book, 3 April 2011
An amazing book that helps you understand and recognise the various built in systems we have to protect ourselves from violent situations. It goes through how the body works and how we should learn to trust our instincts. For example that nagging feeling that for some reason, which we can't put out finger on, we don't like a guy we just met. Most dismiss it, but we may have picked up on something very small and suspicious that our unconscious mind noticed but our conscious mind didn't. The book does drag on a little at the end but I still highly recommend it.

Page: 1 | 2