Profile for MikeS > Reviews

Content by MikeS

MikeS "blackie_1"

The Secret Race: Inside the Hidden World of the Tour de France: Doping, Cover-ups, and Winning at All Costs
by Tyler Hamilton

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read, 29 Sept. 2012
I actually bought this as it was coauthored by Dan Coyle. I'd read a book he'd written a number of years ago on Armstrong and was impressed then by the quality of his research and writing and overall balanced view. I did not realise I was buying one of the most important and honest books on doping in the peloton, that I have read in over 20 years.

This book sets down a marker and will become a matter for the historical record. I expect a lot more information to become public as cases are pursued in the autumn. One of the key questions will be about the role of the UCI - did it do its best or was it negligent, incompetent or corrupt? The book clearly suggests corruption at the highest level. For too long the focus has been on individual riders rather than a root and branch examination of the entire system.

A great book, quick to read and gripping. One always reads exposes like this sceptically, as the author will have his own agenda, nevertheless, this has the ring of authenticity and is backed by Coyle's investigative journalism and recent events such as USADA's investigation. It's a shame we've had to wait so long, and a greater shame that so many still appear in denial in the sport. It was clearly cathartic for Hamilton to write this and allowed him to move on and took a lot of courage to do so.

Buy it and make up your own mind.

Etymotic Research ER-4P Portable In-Ear Earphones
Etymotic Research ER-4P Portable In-Ear Earphones

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 1 Aug. 2010
I've bought these as a replacement to my ER 6is, which I had for 2 years and were good, but fragile and kept breaking.

I felt moved to write this review, as I've only had them a few hours, but they are astounding! I've compared them alongside music driven through my floorstanding speakers by my amp, and they are far superior.

The sound is balanced, and the detail amazing - I am hearing things I've never heard before, across a variety of music from rock to classical. Eg On Rachmaninov's 2nd piano concerto, you can hear much more detail as Azhkenazy touches the key. Its exquisite. For rock, listening to U2's latest album, I can hear a lot more percussion than before - rather than the standard dull base, you can almost feel the drum verberating. For an early Springsteen album, it sounds like you were in the studio, and can hear so much more.

Is it worth it? For me, undoubtedly. Plus they have a 2y warranty.

Etymotic Research ER6i Isolator In-Ear Earphones - White
Etymotic Research ER6i Isolator In-Ear Earphones - White

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but fragile, 27 July 2010
I've had 2 pairs of these for 2 years. The sound quality is great, and you do hear more detail than conventional headphones. The noise cancellation is superb also - I can study in a library with them on and need to be tapped on the shoulder by someone to tell me that the mobile phone is ringing in my pocket! I've used it a lot on my motorbike and its effectively damped the eardrum damaging wind/machine noise.

However...it is fragile. I replaced the last one a year ago, and this one has given up now. On both pairs the sound eventually went on one earpiece. I can see the thin wire has become frayed. So, great product, but I won't buy again, too costly to replace. Also, arguable that the earbuds are costly to replace. Daily use for the "mushroom" type ones lasted me max 1 month. Worth it if the actual earphones stayed intact, but they didn't.