Profile for Mark DW > Reviews

Futurology (Deluxe)
Futurology (Deluxe)
Offered by positivenoise

5.0 out of 5 stars More Stuart Adamson than Kraftwerk, 7 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Futurology (Deluxe) (Audio CD)
I love the Manics simply because they are herioc failures... except this time they have not failed! This is an epic record of massive proportions - it could have been the biggest White Elephant of 2014 but instead it is the bravest, most original sound that I have heard a rock band make in a long time.

The themes of the album are Europe, Kraut Rock, Travel, Machines and Electronica BUT there is a definite sub-theme in JDBs guitar playing - that of the influence of Stuart Adamson. Stuart was the architect of the sound of The Skids and Big Country. He was once called "Scotland's Jimi Hendrix" by John Peel and was a guitar player who drew upon a wholly different palate from blues growing-up with folk and country nuances and bringing them to loud rock songs; he was also famous for playing a Gibson SG. Hmmm.. who else do we know who brings delicious chords and big un-bent notes and shoves them through a big fat Gibson? Even the retro keyboard sounds on Futurology sound Skids-esque (plus The Skids released numerous instrumentals too) and the album is all the better for it.

Its a great album with a huge heritage, but there are definitely times when the simple, beautiful and elegant guitars are not from Paris or Moscow as the lyrics would suggest, but rather from a small village just outside of Dunfermline...

The Seer
The Seer
Offered by A2Z Entertains

5.0 out of 5 stars One Great Album!, 7 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Seer (Audio CD)
The Seer is an album filled with surprises and show the band both full of ideas and capable composing the widescreen landscapes that makes their music so infectious. Themes of mysticism, learning, having a purpose in life and, of course, sailing are all still on the agenda but this time they're in amongst a more open and breathing sound than the Steeltown that preceded it.
Yes they're a "guitar band" but the drums are huge, sitars and mandolins are there if you listen and the bass dances all over the place. Its a confident and musically accomplished album, that's for sure.

The recently-released double CD give us a good remaster that goes some way to lessen the damage of previous releases and 'I Will Run To You', as well as the other tracks from the Restless Natives film are a great listen. Long winded 12" mixes are more relics - historic curios that I remember listening to in my bedroom as a teenager that have little artistic merit or context these days but fun all the same.

Don't assume this is straight-forward 80s power pop - you don't need to look far beyond (or even within) the catchy hits of Look Away or One Great Thing to find something much much deeper.

Me Talk Pretty One Day
Me Talk Pretty One Day
by David Sedaris

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as funny written down, 21 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Me Talk Pretty One Day (Paperback)
I really enjoy David Sedaris's monologues on Radio 4, much to annoyance of my family. I had been praising him and trying to get people to listen to him - thinking his dry and witty delivery was one of the funniest things I had heard in years.

However, I think this is part of the problem - I feel that an awful lot of his funniness is down to his delivery... his accent, his infections, surprise and resigned voice. All of this means ultimately, that this book was not as funny as I was oping it was going to be.

Its OK, but you almost have to imagine him saying it. It's very flat. To put it another way, if I had never heard him talking, I would never have liked this book at all.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 1, 2014 6:02 PM BST

Tal-Furnar Galletti Sun Dried Tomato & Basil (70g)
Tal-Furnar Galletti Sun Dried Tomato & Basil (70g)

5.0 out of 5 stars Maltese Snacks - lovely taste, 21 Dec. 2013
These snacks are Maltese and they have a lovely, dry and herby taste. Of course the island is famous the quality of it's tomatoes and these snacks would be perfect for a summer evening garden party. Glad they're available here.

The Descendants Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
The Descendants Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting and Lovely, 21 Dec. 2013
The first evening we put this one, my wife and I sat in silence and listened to it all the way through, I think we even snoozed towards the end!

Not at all my usual cup of tea - the music seemed to be very present in the film that we both enjoyed so I ordered the CD as a gift for aforementioned Missus. At first the tracks with the deeper voice are surprising but you very quickly acclimatize to this and the album is different, well done and beautiful collection of music.

BOSS ROLAND BCB-30 CARRYING CASE Amp and effect accessories Pedalboards
BOSS ROLAND BCB-30 CARRYING CASE Amp and effect accessories Pedalboards
Offered by Sound Affects

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job perfectly, 21 Dec. 2013
I love this - as a home guitarist I only need three pedals and this does the job perfectly.

My pedals are Berhinger too, and apart from having to take out the right-hand-side power/input leads of the far right pedal it all fits fine and snug. There's even space for my tuner and a short lead.

You'll need a power supply, but you can get a generic (non-Boss) one that fits fine.

Like I said, I am just a bloke who sometimes sets up and plays the guitar at home for fun - this has cut down my 'setup' time from 20 minutes to 3 minutes so I much more time to learn tab of crap eighties rock ballads! Result.

TeckNet® Apple FM Transmitter Charge and Play for Apple iPhone 5, 5c, 5s, 6, 6s, 6 Plus, 6s Plus, iPod Touch, Nano
Offered by Hippidion.Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and it works, 20 Dec. 2013
I finally got around to reviewing this - AGES after I bought it. I have even changed car since I started using it and it came with me.

For such a cheap little piece of kit it does the job very well. It is certainly not super-duper Hi-Fi sound but I am a very keen music listener and I use this gizmo every single day with an iPod Classic and an old IPhone that I've got podcasts on and it has not failed once.

Usefully, its a standard mico-USB charger too, so my Blackberry and other devices can charge off the same lead on long journeys without too much fiddling about.

I plan to upgrade my car stereo to one with an aux-in so I can hard-wire my tunes, but til then this little device has been my saviour! In fact, its been so reliable I haven't got round to getting the new stereo.

Silverline 955677 Motorcycle Disc Lock Spring Reminder 1100 x 4 mm
Silverline 955677 Motorcycle Disc Lock Spring Reminder 1100 x 4 mm

4.0 out of 5 stars Lasted ages, really useful, 20 Dec. 2013
Good price, just what I needed.
I used this on my disc lock and also on a big U-Lock that I tend to forget about. Its also a great deterrent when parking up outside the supermarket, I swear kids think its an alarm.

The first one that arrived was the wrong colour, but the supplier kindly sent a replacement free of charge quickly - good service and a durable product.

DIGIFLEX 3.5MM HEADPHONE MUSIC ADAPTOR FOR LG COOKIE KP500
DIGIFLEX 3.5MM HEADPHONE MUSIC ADAPTOR FOR LG COOKIE KP500
Offered by Digiflex

3.0 out of 5 stars Its OK, didn't last long, 20 Dec. 2013
This was OK but didn't stand up to much wear and tear in use. I appreciate its in a place that's going to get knocked about a bit but in hindsight I might research a more permanent option of connecting headphones.

JDC Motorcycle Black 100% WATERPROOF Cover HEAVY DUTY - XL
JDC Motorcycle Black 100% WATERPROOF Cover HEAVY DUTY - XL

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant - heavy and durable, 20 Dec. 2013
Best motorbike cover on the market. Sadly unavailable currently. Brilliant.

Get an XL for anything bigger than average, both my VFR750 and 650Deauville were too big for an L, but the XL is fine.

Page: 1 | 2