Profile for dnmartin87 > Reviews

Offal: The Fifth Quarter
by Anissa Helou
Price: 17.00

4.0 out of 5 stars intimidating at first but worth persevering, 6 Mar 2014
as food prices seem to be exponentially rising (80p for a solitary red pepper in my local 'super' market) I have been searching for ways in which to reduce my food costs. offal seemed like a sensible area to explore which is why i bought this book. upon opening it i have to say that i was pretty intimidated; tripe, eyes, brains, lungs... you get the picture. however, that's to be expected from a book which is entitled 'offal' so i pulled myself together. so far i have only ventured so far as a kidneys and liver, both of which were enjoyable. if you're after something completely different to almost all other cook books, one which opens up an entire new area of cooking or if you're adventurous with your food then this is a book that should interest you.

Toro Bravo
Toro Bravo
by Crain
Price: 16.31

4.0 out of 5 stars the chef seems a bit of a pillock, the food's good though, 6 Mar 2014
This review is from: Toro Bravo (Hardcover)
the first chunk of the book is taken up with the chef's autobiography. forgive me if i found this fatuous and over-indulgent; I did not purchase this book for anyone's life story but more for recipe's. Thankfully these are in abundance in the rest of the book and are both accessible and delicious. worthwhile.

Vegetable Literacy: Cooking and Gardening with Twelve Families from the Edible Plant Kingdom, with Over 300 Deliciously Simple Recipes
by Deborah Madison
Price: 19.43

5.0 out of 5 stars a great addition to your book shelf, 6 Mar 2014
as someone who grew up on vegetables boiled until the point of mercy I have a slight aversion to anything which grows out of the ground. I bought this book to help make vegetables interesting and enticing and I have to say I was very impressed. An encyclopedia of vegetables is perhaps how to best describe it. a great addition to anyone's book shelf.

Diary of a Dog-walker: Time spent following a lead
Diary of a Dog-walker: Time spent following a lead
by Edward Stourton
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars both heart-breaking and -warming, 14 Jan 2014
I picked this up as an impulse buy as I was attracted to the illustration on the cover. at the time I had recently had to have dog and best friend of 11 years put to sleep after a long and painful battle with liver disease. He, like the dog in the book, was a Springer Spaniel so upon seeing the handsome creature on the cover I couldn't not buy it.

By no means is this a literary classic. It is neither hard-hitting nor insightful but then it does not seek to be. A charming book which had me both crying with tears and with laughter as it allowed me to reminisce about the times my family and I enjoyed with our beloved dog Charlie. Perhaps that is why I found the book to be so endearing and why it is one of my favourite reads from the past few years.

The Sauce Bible: 400 Fail-safe Recipes to Transform Everyday Dishes into Feasts, Shown in Step by Step in 1400 Photographs
by Catherine Atkinson
Price: 10.09

5.0 out of 5 stars great reference book, 14 Jan 2014
great reference book to have in your kitchen. simple and easy to follow, it's something which will be used again and again

Slow Fire
Slow Fire
by Ray Lampe
Price: 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars accessible bbq, 14 Jan 2014
This review is from: Slow Fire (Hardcover)
After being a little disappointed with the Pitt Cue & Co. cook book I bought this after seeing the reviews on here. far more accessible bbq and a much simpler approach. for a bbq beginner like me it is the perfect bbq book

Tom Kerridge's Proper Pub Food
Tom Kerridge's Proper Pub Food
by Tom Kerridge
Price: 9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars a little disappointing. salt and sugar abounds!, 14 Jan 2014
As others have said, this is not 'pub grub' as most people conceive it. There is a lot of salt and sugar in the recipe's and this is not a cook book if you're looking to lose a few pounds post-Christmas. The baked bean recipe was far too sweet for me although the treacle cured beef was delicious. a fair enough book but not something to rave about as others have suggested.

Barrafina: A Spanish Cookbook
Barrafina: A Spanish Cookbook
by Sam Hart
Price: 20.00

4.0 out of 5 stars decent addition to your book shelf, 14 Jan 2014
I'd been searching for a Spanish cook book for a while and seeing the glowing reviews on here prompted me to purchase this one. Some of the ingredients are difficult to source if you don't live near a decent deli or food market but there are enough recipes featuring easy to find ingredients to make it a worthwhile purchase. Not as great as some have suggested, at least in my opinion, but a useful addition to your cook book collection.

Hawksmoor at Home: Meat - Seafood - Sides - Breakfasts - Puddings - Cocktails
Hawksmoor at Home: Meat - Seafood - Sides - Breakfasts - Puddings - Cocktails
by Huw Gott
Price: 12.50

5.0 out of 5 stars simple in the best way, 14 Jan 2014
This book carves through a lot of the nonsense surrounding food and tells you how to source, prepare and cook good, simple food. Not simple as in 'toast some bread, heat some beans and serve' but in their approach and appreciation of letting the ingredients taste a good as possible without any unnecessary effort. The articles between the recipes give you a good appreciation of the history of some of the food featured and can be enjoyed as a book to read as much as a conventional cook book.

Ginger Pig Meat Book
Ginger Pig Meat Book
by Fran Warde
Price: 22.00

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful book, 14 Jan 2014
This review is from: Ginger Pig Meat Book (Hardcover)
As someone else has said, this is much more than a cook book. The book is split into months with recipe's geared towards seasonality which is a great way of organising the content. You're given an insight into a working farm and after reading it, I came out with a far greater appreciation of the meat that I was eating. The recipe's are simple in the best meaning of the word and a great advert for British food.

Page: 1 | 2