Profile for Redlady > Reviews

A Glimpse Of The Wars Of The Roses
A Glimpse Of The Wars Of The Roses
by Matthew Lewis

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little book, 26 Jan 2014
Author succinctly covers all main facts and protagonists involved to enable you to get a good idea of the issues. His seemingly 'superficial' style misses out nothing of relevant and he seems balanced and objective. Look forward to his next one.

A Glimpse Of King Richard III
A Glimpse Of King Richard III
by Matthew Lewis

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little book, 26 Jan 2014
Explains all the basic facts you need to know to get to grips with the main issues - and seem fairly objective despite the author declaring upfront he is a Ricardian.

German Beer Stein Glass 2 Pint | Classic Beer Tankards, Beer Mugs, Beer Steins | 2 Pint Glass Beer Tankards
Offered by Mambocat

2.0 out of 5 stars Far too big and clumsy, 26 Jan 2014
Bought this as a traditional beerstein - looks more like a heavy clumsy vase. The person I bought it for couldn't stop laughing.

Amber Lightnings Sterling Silver and Oval Green Amber Ring
Amber Lightnings Sterling Silver and Oval Green Amber Ring

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely ring, 26 Jan 2014
Loved this ring - it was a gorgeous green colour. I was good quality too for the money. Would purchase again.

The Tower Grave
The Tower Grave
by J E Moncrieff

1.0 out of 5 stars Misleading and inaccurate, 26 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Tower Grave (Paperback)
This book was a real disappointment. I hardly expected a academic look at the Princes in the Tower issue but this was ridiculous -
it just used current interest in that topic to produce a superficial novel on time travel and detective work with a bit of history thrown in. It adds nothing to the PiT issue. I cant work out if some of the historical inaccuracies are due to poor proof reading or the author's lack of knowledge. Despite the period in which the team were to do their work being clearly defined as June 1483 the novel repeatedly give the dates as 1453 which was before the father of the two princes (Edward IV) ever came to the throne.
In addition to this there were some real howlers in the narrative - at one point 'John' makes a 'vowel' to sort something out! Unbelievable! Finally to reduce the Wars of the Roses (The Cousins War) to a piece of 'doggerel' (the poem) indicates to me that the author is not capable of taking any of this seriously. If I had not been desperate to find new books on the Richard III/Princes in the Tower issue I doubt I would have bothered to read it to the end but I couldn't believe it could get any worse. I wish some quality control could be exerted over such books before they are printed.

W7 Loads Lashes
W7 Loads Lashes

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful product!, 18 Dec 2013
This review is from: W7 Loads Lashes (Personal Care)
This product was dreadful. I really hoped it would be good especially after what I had read but unfortunately it was not. It consisted of thick white clumps which were supposed to stick to your eyelashes and then for you to put mascara over them. I tried to do with but the bits constantly fell into my eye and irritated it. I stopped using it immediately and threw it way as I did not want to risk an eye infection.

'Loyalty in me Lieth': King Richard III and Francis Viscount Lovel
'Loyalty in me Lieth': King Richard III and Francis Viscount Lovel
by Richard Mark Hogg

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 9 Nov 2013
I was deeply disappointed by this book. I initially set off with significant sympathy for the position being taken both in terms of the content (more on the relationship between Richard and Francis)and also in terms of 'Mr Hogg's' approach - i.e. not a boring factual hard read but not a romanticised 'novel.My problems lie in my profound annoyance with the very poor punctuation,spelling and grammar - all of which could have been edited. Also I was concerned that for someone who obviously has read widely on the subject and can quote ad nauseum that there were some really silly errors. The author's obsession with grounding this 'story' in fact has led to so many inserted quotations that it drives the reader mad.

It is a real shame as he is obviously a revisionist (and I count myself as a Richardian)so I have tremendous sympathy with his position although I like to think that I approach the subject with a true spirit of enquiry. I almost feel bad being critical but I was so distracted by the needless errors that it put me off reading the book. I also felt he slightly chickened out in terms of posing a realistic solution for what happened to Francis and it is hard to believe that he (Francis) could have been so devoted to someone who is as unlikeable as Hogg portrays Richard.

When She Was Bad...
When She Was Bad...
by Louise Bagshawe

4.0 out of 5 stars Really Good, 31 Jan 2013
This review is from: When She Was Bad... (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book. Bagshawe is still on good form! Kept me engaged from beginning to end - hard to put down!