Profile for Redlady > Reviews

Content by Redlady

Redlady

Ravenspur: Rise of the Tudors (The Wars of the Roses)
Ravenspur: Rise of the Tudors (The Wars of the Roses)
by Conn Iggulden

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing but true to form, 3 Jun. 2016
Conn Iggulden is doubtless an entertaining writer but I would not look to him for indepth interpretations of historical fact.
True to form he is never happier than when describing battles/fights/conflicts. In other words novels for the lads. When reading his more fictional based novels (on Roman times) it was not as apparent to me how
Comparatively lightweight they are on motive, in-depth interpretation they are - really each seems to be a means to an end to get to the next fight. This book is no exception. Despite a fair but of available historical detail he ignores it as it suits him, along the way dismissing whole chunks of history. I do hope that those seeking a plausible account of hiw/why things transpired the way they did do but think they have found it in Ravenspur. However as another 'ripping yarn' it is acceptable. I personify was disappointed in it it and hoped for better in this subject from him.

A Glimpse Of The Wars Of The Roses
A Glimpse Of The Wars Of The Roses
by Matthew Lewis

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little book, 26 Jan. 2014
Author succinctly covers all main facts and protagonists involved to enable you to get a good idea of the issues. His seemingly 'superficial' style misses out nothing of relevant and he seems balanced and objective. Look forward to his next one.

A Glimpse Of King Richard III
A Glimpse Of King Richard III
by Matthew Lewis

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little book, 26 Jan. 2014
Explains all the basic facts you need to know to get to grips with the main issues - and seem fairly objective despite the author declaring upfront he is a Ricardian.

German Beer Stein Glass 2 Pint | Classic Beer Tankards, Beer Mugs, Beer Steins | 2 Pint Glass Beer Tankards
Offered by L&G London Uniforms U.K. (PRICES INC VAT)

2.0 out of 5 stars Far too big and clumsy, 26 Jan. 2014
Bought this as a traditional beerstein - looks more like a heavy clumsy vase. The person I bought it for couldn't stop laughing.

Amber Lightnings Sterling Silver and Oval Green Amber Ring
Amber Lightnings Sterling Silver and Oval Green Amber Ring

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely ring, 26 Jan. 2014
Loved this ring - it was a gorgeous green colour. I was good quality too for the money. Would purchase again.

The Tower Grave
The Tower Grave
by J E Moncrieff

1.0 out of 5 stars Misleading and inaccurate, 26 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Tower Grave (Paperback)
This book was a real disappointment. I hardly expected a academic look at the Princes in the Tower issue but this was ridiculous -
it just used current interest in that topic to produce a superficial novel on time travel and detective work with a bit of history thrown in. It adds nothing to the PiT issue. I cant work out if some of the historical inaccuracies are due to poor proof reading or the author's lack of knowledge. Despite the period in which the team were to do their work being clearly defined as June 1483 the novel repeatedly give the dates as 1453 which was before the father of the two princes (Edward IV) ever came to the throne.
In addition to this there were some real howlers in the narrative - at one point 'John' makes a 'vowel' to sort something out! Unbelievable! Finally to reduce the Wars of the Roses (The Cousins War) to a piece of 'doggerel' (the poem) indicates to me that the author is not capable of taking any of this seriously. If I had not been desperate to find new books on the Richard III/Princes in the Tower issue I doubt I would have bothered to read it to the end but I couldn't believe it could get any worse. I wish some quality control could be exerted over such books before they are printed.

W7 Loads Lashes
W7 Loads Lashes

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful product!, 18 Dec. 2013
This review is from: W7 Loads Lashes (Personal Care)
This product was dreadful. I really hoped it would be good especially after what I had read but unfortunately it was not. It consisted of thick white clumps which were supposed to stick to your eyelashes and then for you to put mascara over them. I tried to do with but the bits constantly fell into my eye and irritated it. I stopped using it immediately and threw it way as I did not want to risk an eye infection.

'Loyalty in me Lieth': King Richard III and Francis Viscount Lovel
'Loyalty in me Lieth': King Richard III and Francis Viscount Lovel
by Richard Mark Hogg

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 9 Nov. 2013
I was deeply disappointed by this book. I initially set off with significant sympathy for the position being taken both in terms of the content (more on the relationship between Richard and Francis)and also in terms of 'Mr Hogg's' approach - i.e. not a boring factual hard read but not a romanticised 'novel.My problems lie in my profound annoyance with the very poor punctuation,spelling and grammar - all of which could have been edited. Also I was concerned that for someone who obviously has read widely on the subject and can quote ad nauseum that there were some really silly errors. The author's obsession with grounding this 'story' in fact has led to so many inserted quotations that it drives the reader mad.

It is a real shame as he is obviously a revisionist (and I count myself as a Richardian)so I have tremendous sympathy with his position although I like to think that I approach the subject with a true spirit of enquiry. I almost feel bad being critical but I was so distracted by the needless errors that it put me off reading the book. I also felt he slightly chickened out in terms of posing a realistic solution for what happened to Francis and it is hard to believe that he (Francis) could have been so devoted to someone who is as unlikeable as Hogg portrays Richard.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 19, 2015 7:31 PM BST

When She Was Bad...
When She Was Bad...
by Louise Bagshawe

4.0 out of 5 stars Really Good, 31 Jan. 2013
This review is from: When She Was Bad... (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book. Bagshawe is still on good form! Kept me engaged from beginning to end - hard to put down!