Profile for Cary C. > Reviews

Cary C.

The Long Sleep
The Long Sleep

5.0 out of 5 stars A very entertaining and enjoyable read., 8 Dec. 2013
This review is from: The Long Sleep (Kindle Edition)
Wow! Very exciting. Literally starts with a bang, and then keeps on going. Mellor does a great job of mixing old-school detective mystery and intrigue with the futuristic scifi elements (even with some gender politics thrown in to boot). The world of scifi could use a few more good detectives. The twists and turns kept the pages turning (with some nifty surprises), and it was over all too quickly. This was a very fast read - something I like.

A very entertaining and enjoyable read. I'll definitely pick up Stephen Mellor's next book.

Divine Touched (Vaelandrian Goddesses Book 1)
Divine Touched (Vaelandrian Goddesses Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic Adventure, Terrific Humor and Sexy to Boot!, 20 Feb. 2013
Caution: Gushing Review Ahead.

I haven't enjoyed a book this much in a very long time. From the moment Maraline, Goddess of the sea, makes her very impressive entrance, smashing a blockading armada of sea-going warships to splintery bits, I knew I was in the capable hands of a very talented writer. I was ready to be taken for a ride. And what a ride!

Cassandra Duffy deftly avoids all the traps and pitfalls that so many modern Fantasy writers fall into. She doesn't try to reinvent the wheel, doesn't try to make us believe that this is the first and only book to feature smelly ogres, dwarves and giant spiders. Instead, she very smartly plays off of already well established concepts familiar to fans of Fantasy and mythologies, while still throwing in lots of twists to keep things fresh - and us readers on our toes.

Nor does Ms. Duffy attempt to write a 'sprawling epic' featuring forty-two different plot lines, with a cast so vast it requires its own appendix (I think thirty-eight plot lines and nineteen protagonists is actually par for the course in Fantasy these days). Instead, she keeps the focus squarely on the shoulders of her two wonderful main characters; Harper, Sword Maiden and servant to the Ocean Goddess, and Calista, the dark and mysterious thief from the south.

There are so many things that impressed me about this book. Cassandra Duffy demonstrates a HUGE amount of talent as a writer as she balances adventure, action, romance, and yes, humour. This is a very funny book with a wonderful sense of whimsy - even biting sarcasm, at times. That's not an easy thing to pull off - especially in Fantasy. The humour is never silly, never slapstick or deprecating to the genre, and never detracts from the more adventurous or romantic elements. Far from it. Everything feels natural to the narrative and never contrived. If anything, it makes everything more real.

Speaking of difficult subjects to handle; the more romantic elements are handled quite masterfully, too. The romance that blooms between Harper and Calista is touching and sweet, and Ms. Duffy knows when to add just a little spice when things become a bit more steamy.

Final Note:

I'm almost befuddled by how much I enjoyed this book. When I come across a new book, let alone a new author, who, well, blows my mind like this, it kind of staggers me.

Well, I've been staggered.

Okay, Not So Final Note:

Geek admission: Fans of Fantasy Role-Playing games will love this book, too. I just happened to be playing through Dragon's Dogma, of all things, when I stumbled across this book. They made for wonderful companion pieces.

The Brinded Cat (The Witch Hunters)
The Brinded Cat (The Witch Hunters)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Exciting, 19 Feb. 2013
Snappy prose, a new and interesting take on Witches, and a wild chase across London; this tasty short (only one dollar!) gave me a serious bang for my entertainment-buck. The story is just long enough to make for a full and engaging story, brimming with plot and intrigue, but short enough that it's over all too quickly. Yes, we definitely want to see more of Sam. There's definitely enough here for a novel, if not a full series.

Keir
Keir

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, 20 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Keir (Kindle Edition)
I had this book sitting on my TBR list for way too long (you can blame 'Game of Thrones' - who writes 1000 page novels! Goodness!). Once I got around to reading it I realized quickly that I should have gotten to this book WAY earlier. I was definitely missing out on something special. Once I started I couldn't put it down. I think I finished it in four quick stints - okay, five, tops.

Great elements of mystery and adventure abound, right from the start. And love, too. I don't think I'm giving anything away by saying that. Hey, this is SFR, right! Who is Keir? What's his story? And who is this mystery woman and why does she seem to care for him? These are the questions asked at the beginning and propel the story forward.

Ms. Jay does a terrific job of following up and delivering on those questions too, always feeding just enough information to keep the pages turning as the story of these two individuals unfolds. The world of Keir is vivid and believable, with just the right amount of description and colouring - never overdone or expository.

I really dug this book, and (if your fans of science-fiction/adventure/romance definitely urge you to give it a try.

The Master key (Lancaster series Book 2)
The Master key (Lancaster series Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Action, Suspense, Twists and Turns, 7 May 2012
The plot thickens, as they say, in this exciting sequel to the excellent Lancaster Rule." Josie Bettancaourt (again, great name for a great character), is back in all her foul-mouthed glory. But this time she's trained, prepared, and more lethal than ever. And that's a good thing because the world, it seems, is still out to get her in a big way.

After reading The Lancaster Rule, I was intrigued by the title of this one, and quickly picked it up. What would this "Master Key" be, and what would it unlock? After reading the book, all I can say is that this key was not what I expected, nor the door that would be opened.

TK delivers to us many 'big' plot reveals, all in her easy flowing style, with lots of new and very interesting characters thrown into the mix. I'm personally very intrigued by two of the new characters and can't wait to see them given their due in the next instalment. One character definitely deserves her own series of novels, for sure.

The best part of finishing The Master Key is knowing that next instalment in this trilogy will soon be here.

Still, it can't get here soon enough. We want more!

The Lancaster Rule
The Lancaster Rule

5.0 out of 5 stars Lost In Time, 7 May 2012
TK does a great job and takes us on a wild ride with her feisty, potty-mouthed heroine, Josie Bettencourt (great name, by the way), who wakes up three hundred years in the future--only to find herself smack in the middle of a global civil war. And, trust me, there's really nothing worse than getting out of your stasis pod, only to find out that everyone wants to kill you! T.K. is at her best when it comes to the action and (sex -- shhh!).

Now I'm off to read the next in the series.