Profile for Andy P > Reviews

Content by Andy P

Andy P (Camberley, Surrey)

Che Guevara: A Revolutionary Life
Che Guevara: A Revolutionary Life
by Jon Lee Anderson

5.0 out of 5 stars Brillaintly researched and written...a must read, 14 Sept. 2015
I came back from a holiday in Cuba with my interest piqued into the Cuban revolution, and wanted an unbiased account of the events and individuals involved. This proved quite hard to find, and I eventually settled on this momentous tome about the life of Che. At 700-odd pages it was a heavier read than my usual attempts at potted history but boy, was it worth it. It's so well written it reads like a good novel, an intriguing story with many larger than like characters. I was tempted to skip the chapters on his early life and get to the 'juicy bits', but I was soon engrossed and the formative years of the revolutionary go some way to explaining his later zeal.
My only disappointment was that, having built the tension expertly on the build-up to the missile crisis, it was quickly dismissed with almost a one-liner outlining Kruschev's betrayal. Still, there's lots of other stuff about the crisis - read Bobby Kennedy's account if you're a bit skimpy on this.
On the whole, an outstandingly researched, well-written book which will have you gripped throughout.

Wildlife Photographer of the Year Portfolio 23
Wildlife Photographer of the Year Portfolio 23
by The Natural History Museum

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Book, 17 Jan. 2014
Always buy this for my partner fro Xmas/birthday, often after visiting the exhibition at the Natural History Museum. Brilliant photographs, excellent presentation. High quality.

Indian Summer: The Secret History of the End of an Empire
Indian Summer: The Secret History of the End of an Empire
by Alex Von Tunzelmann

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read about a fascinating subject, 2 Dec. 2013
I really enjoyed this book. My interest in the events leading to the independence of India were piqued during a holiday when we visited the Viceregal House in Shimla in the Himalayas. We saw the room and table where the 'deal' was agreed and this made me want to find out more about it. This book was perfect for that - it gives a brief history India up to this point so you understand how they got to this point then deals in detail with the negotiations and events which led to the 'deal'. It focuses on the key individuals involved and paints a fascinating picture of the importance of personal relationships to the course of events. It's very readable and illustrates the points made with some apt (and sometimes gruesome) anecdotes. Highly recommended.

Are You Watching the Match Tonight?: The Remarkable Story of Football on Television
by Brian Barwick

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent insight into football on TV, 16 Sept. 2013
I really enjoyed reading this book. Barwick is in a unique position to cover this topic, given his positions at BBC, ITV and the FA, and he doesn't disappoint. There are plenty of interesting, and funny, anecdotes from his own career but there is also coverage of the early days of football on television, when it was considerably less sophisticated than it is now! Barwick has a good writing style, informal yet fluent, that makes the book an easy read. Recommended.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 4, 2013 9:26 PM GMT

Onkyo HT-X22HDX 3D Ready Ultra Compact 2.1 Home Cinema System
Onkyo HT-X22HDX 3D Ready Ultra Compact 2.1 Home Cinema System

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Sound Booster, 3 May 2013
I bought this unit as my Sky box was producing quiet sound through my new Sony TV. All other sources were ok. I wanted a 2.1 unit as my room configuration wouldn't suit a 5.1 with trailing cables.
It was very easy to set up and worked great straight away. Frankly I couldn't be bothered playing around with placement as it worked fine where I put it. The sound is a vast improvement on the TV and all sources. Bass is a bit deep but that's what you buy a sub-woofer for and you can adjust it.
Only pain is that I now have three remotes - Sky box, this unit and TV. But overall I highly recommend this unit for boosting your TV Sound.

The Truth About Love [Explicit]
The Truth About Love [Explicit]

5.0 out of 5 stars Best P!nk Album Yet?, 21 Oct. 2012
This is a stunning album, possibly her best yet which in my book is saying something. A tad more rocky than recent albums, and all the better for it, but packed full of her trademark catchy hooks ands riffs. Displays a wider vocal range than heard before, proving this girl can really sing (as anyone who's seen her live will testify). At times I thought it was someone else singing, only to find on some tracks it was! Difficult to pick out favourite tracks, the standard is so consistently high. Just buy it, you won't be disappointed.
Minor moan - the needless and repetitive swearing is a tad tedious, and might limit accessibility to a wider audience. Don't know if there's a 'clean version' on sale?

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Specs, 14 Sept. 2012
Excellent 3D specs, comfortable to wear and easy to use (charge them, put them on and turn them on!). Good picture, though I suppose this depends on your telly (mine's a Sony). At time I bought it was cheaper to buy two singles than a pair!

Violet Journey
Violet Journey

4.0 out of 5 stars Good first album, 10 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Violet Journey (Audio CD)
This is Orianthi's first album, prior to the more recent Believe. Those of you who have not yet discovered this brilliant rock guitarist should perhaps go straight to Believe, a truly sensational album. Then you can be a bit more forgiving of this first effort, which though very good value is a little less acccomplished. Perhaps some of the rough edges are down to Orianthi playing all the instruments herself on most tracks which, though laudable, is a trifle ambitious. The title track is probably the strongest on the album, and others clearly demonstrate Orianthi's brilliant guitar work and catchy riffs. This girl is brilliant, so don't hesitate to add this to your collection and, if you haven't got Believe yet, buy that as well - you'll save yourself some time later!

Believe (International Version - Repackage)
Believe (International Version - Repackage)

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brilliant, 25 April 2011
If you like your guitar rock with good riffs, terrific breaks and, yes, catchy melodies, this is for you. Highly Strung will raise goosepimples through its sheer pace and virtuoso guitar playing; Think like a Man will have you bopping away; while the cover of Sunshine of Your Love will make you think maybe Clapton and co should have speeded it up a bit! Not a bad track on the album and Orianthi has to be one of the best rock guitarists around. Buy it!

Sony DCR-HC40ES Digital Camcorder
Sony DCR-HC40ES Digital Camcorder

5.0 out of 5 stars Great First-time user purchase, 2 Jan. 2005
I had this camcorder bought for me as a 50th birthday present, after doing a fair bit of research. As a first-time user of camcorders, I wanted an easy-to-use machine which had all the key features and high quality output. I have not been disappointed.
The Sony really can be used straight-from-the-box, after reference to the 'quick-start' instructions. It has a superb 10x optical zoom (up to 120x digital, but I'd ignore this, as my experince from digital cameras is that the results of
digital zoom are very disappointing in terms of image quality).
The controls are easy to use and I have experienced no problems with regard to sound or the touch screen reported elsewhere on this site. Play back through my TV (32" widescreen) was impressive also, although don't expect it to be the same as the BBC!
I'm a bit disappointed to learn that you can't transfer tape footage to your computer's hard disk for editing, though this is a function of the mini-DV format rather than a problem with the Sony I understand. You can however burn dircet to VD or DVD. I am still exploring how to use the Memory Stick, which seeems to facilitate editing but has certain drawbacks (limited capacity, loss of stero sound etc.)
To sum up, if you're thinking of taking your first steps into camcording and are pepared to go past the 'entry-level' machines, than I'd have no hesitation in recommending this machine.