Profile for Truth42 > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Forebears
Forebears

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and compelling, 2 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Forebears (Kindle Edition)
This is an admirable and compelling work. Spanning over a century, the story has all the hallmarks of John Needham's writing: meticulous research, epic scope and silky, gentle prose. I found myself sucked into the story and desperate to know what would happen next as Needham cleverly linked diary entries to everyday events that we all have experience of.

A mature and brilliant book, Forbears deserves the attention of mainstream publishers.

This Is Nowhere
This Is Nowhere

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping and subtle with a fantastic climax, 10 Feb. 2015
This review is from: This Is Nowhere (Kindle Edition)
This is the second book that I have read by Chantelle Atkins and I'm frankly surprised that she has not been picked up by a major publisher. Quality wise I would say that this wonderful story moves Atkins up several notches above her previous works. This Is Nowhere is the work of an author who is really refining their art. What is most impressive is how Atkins has taken a tale of subtlety snd emotion and brought it a whole new level. Each character is carefully crafted and by the end of the book you are completely gripped by this tale of a dysfunctional family. The final scene left me breathless. This is a real page turner. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

The One Of Us
The One Of Us

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent story, 19 Jan. 2015
This review is from: The One Of Us (Kindle Edition)
This is a gentle and moving story about a very unusual subject: that of twins separated at birth. I enjoyed this immensely and was genuinely touched by the author's beautiful prose style. This thoughtful story provided a welcome antidote to stories of sex, vampires and zombies that seem to litter bookshelves these days. A genuine literary book from an author who knows how to guide a reader through a story.

Fugue
Fugue

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 7 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Fugue (Kindle Edition)
This is really original and a totally brilliant read. I read it in only two sessions and can compare its list of complex and off-the-wall characters to a David Lynch film. The book is written with assurance and tight, clipped prose. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Sugar Valley: Hollywood's Darkest Secret
Sugar Valley: Hollywood's Darkest Secret

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 7 Jan. 2015
Despite the rather peevish one-star reviews this is a really fascinating book. I enjoyed it very much.

Dirty Laundry: A Chick Lit Romance
Dirty Laundry: A Chick Lit Romance

5.0 out of 5 stars Dazzling page turner, 5 Jan. 2015
The content of this book is thoroughly Twenty-First Century. The story of how a dumpee turns misfortune into mass media acclaim is crisply written and rolls along at a pace that makes you forget you are reading. Think Sex And The City with brains.

But beyond the flippancy and the apparent endorsement of modern superficiality is a deeper message that elevates this book above the 'Chick-lit' genre that it purports to belong to. This is a book for thinking girls who like to live and I was mightily impressed with the writing. With sufficient marketing power behind it this book could very definitely be a hit. Super stuff.

Angels' Cut (The Angels' Share series Book 1)
Angels' Cut (The Angels' Share series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Frantic thriller, 15 Dec. 2014
It's hard to believe that this is a debut novel because it's written with the touch of a master storyteller: kind of Bourne meets North By Northwest meets Taken. This is a superb read that will have you gripped from first page to last.

I read it in three sitting and it definitely left me wanting more.

The Sign of the Eagle
The Sign of the Eagle

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous and superbly written, 15 Dec. 2014
The amount of research that has gone into this truly excellent novel is truly ming-boggling. This tale of adventure and intrigue may well be set in Ancient Rome but the story is thoroughly modern in the way that it is told. Hughes has a unique way of describing even the most minor of details and has the accomplished touch of a seasoned writer. A real writer.

Even the though the genre is not a particular favourite of mine I was won over. I can't recommend this book highly enough.

A Poker Game of Love
A Poker Game of Love

5.0 out of 5 stars A riveting read, 15 Dec. 2014
These days if a book claims to deliver a 'turbulent romance' it's hard to stop the eyes rolling and the inevitable Fifty Shades rearing its ugly head. Fortunately what we have here is something of real value and a welcome antidote to the myriad Fifty Shades clones that litter the ebook sphere.

Poker Game is brilliantly written, full of passion, wit and humour. Moreover, it's a compulsive read that I finished in just two sittings. The poker metaphor being that all love affairs a gamble. Unlike this book, which is a sure-fire winner.

The Mess of Me
The Mess of Me

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic roller coaster ride of emotions., 15 Dec. 2014
This review is from: The Mess of Me (Kindle Edition)
This book was gripping from the start and written in a style that really sucks you in. I loved the character of Lou and found myself thinking back to when I was her age. The story is very mature and well written. I think it signifies a real writing talent. I gave this to my 11-year-old, who has just finished the dreadful Girl Online. Although classified as YA this book wipes the floor with it and in a meritocracy would sell ten times as many copies. Utterly brilliant.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6