Profile for Lemurjim > Reviews

The Inheritance of Rome: A History of Europe from 400 to 1000
The Inheritance of Rome: A History of Europe from 400 to 1000
by Chris Wickham

4.0 out of 5 stars A flawed but ulitimately useful work, 21 Mar 2014
There isn't much for me to add here, but I'll give my opinion briefly anyway.

This is a book I learnt an awful lot from - it has made me ponder many fascinating points and has very successfully set a framework for my further reading into Early Middle Ages. I very much pleased that this book has done that for me.
A drawback to this is that it wasn't the most enjoyable history books I've ever read. I found it to be a very straight book, and, as many people here say, a detailed one. This isn't bad in itself, of course, I'd be the first to say I'm not a fan of journalistic or light histories. Perhaps it's more to do with the way it is written, and the way the information is presented - though I personally couldn't begin to explain such things.

But anyway, one can garner a lot from this work if you put your mind to it, and it earns my respect for that.

The Sicilian Vespers: A History of the Mediterranean World in the Later Thirteenth Century (Canto Classics)
by Steven Runciman

5.0 out of 5 stars A solid gold classic, 21 Mar 2014
Wow, what a fabulous book. This is written with such fantastic enthusiasm. The story it tells appears so vividly in my mind - it hasn't left me since I finished reading. I read the entire thing in a very short space of time, too... for me anyway.

I understand that there's a bit of a split concerning Runciman, but just going on this book, I find him most endearing. But I do know of his faults, and indeed the frankly bizarre pro-Sicilian sentiments at the end were a little distracting. But whatever, I can easily look past minor qualms and enjoy the bigger picture - It's very easy going and fluid. I look forward to reading more of his work.

Nosferatu The Vampyre [1979] [DVD]
Nosferatu The Vampyre [1979] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Klaus Kinski

5.0 out of 5 stars A Masterpiece..., 17 Aug 2010
Seriously, the best film I've ever seen. Although I do love the original 1922 version, this just perfects the mood. Even know this film takes many diversions from Dracula by Bram Stoker (which I adore) it still feels the closest to the book in mood. The scenery is amazing, the music is amazing, the acting is amazing, the directing is amazing. Buy It.

The Last Guitar
The Last Guitar

5.0 out of 5 stars More excellent stuff from Nick..., 11 Jun 2010
This review is from: The Last Guitar (Audio CD)
A very different album here from Nick, with a wide variety of his styles included. Rockie echoie songs like "One of the 38" "Ama Dablam" "On" and "The Last Guitar." Accoustic quieter songs like "Passing Chord" and "Silly Daddy," and a strange spoken word satire on the music industry "Pop Fiction."
"Silly Daddy" is just amazing, with Nick's 14 year-old daughter Lily on lead vocals, makes this a chilling track.
"Hey Bomb" deserves a mention with reminding me heavily of Nick's 2004 album "Blood Songs"
And track seven "Freestyle" is a fantastic Country/Accoustic/Rock/Blues/Metal song.

Fantastic album, and I would highly recommend it.