Profile for Adhemar > Reviews

Content by Adhemar

Adhemar (Canberra, Australia)

Life of Leisure (Mini-Album)
Life of Leisure (Mini-Album)

4.0 out of 5 stars An ethereal and beautiful listen, 24 Jan 2011
I came across an article about Washed Out in Uncut magazine, so I went on YouTube and did a search for some of his music. I came across the fourth track on this EP, 'Feel It All Around', and on the strength of that I ordered this EP. 'Feel It All Around' and the EP's opening track, 'Get Up', are definitely the standouts. But I have to say I enjoyed all of this.

I should outline my musical tastes and explain what it was that I enjoyed about this EP. I listen to a lot of electronic music, and have a particular fondness for ambient music, such as Aphex Twin's two Selected Ambient Works albums, The Orb, Future Sound of London, Brian Eno and Tangerine Dream. I also have a strong liking for atmospheric electronic music, such as Boards of Canada, and rock music of a similar persuasion (of which My Bloody Valentine's Loveless would be the standout example). "Life of Leisure" is not ambient music, as the music has a beat propulsion and general momentum that is not found in ambient - it's too quick for that. So I would definitely categorise this as electronic dance music. But, having said that, it is very atmospheric and ethereal. And it's very laidback and relaxing, and sounds like the musical version of someone's dream state. It's very much lo fi, with the vocals pushed back into the mix, and there's more than a nod to 1980s synth pop.

So if that doesn't sound like your sort of thing, stay away. But if that does sounds interesting to you, I certainly recommend this. I found this EP a beautiful 17 minute listening experience. And I'll certainly be buying Washed Out's debut LP when it gets released sometime in 2011.

The Outsider
The Outsider
Offered by Direct Entertainment UK

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 18 April 2010
This review is from: The Outsider (Audio CD)
I can fully understand that any musician worth their salt doesn't want to keep producing the same sort of music, album after album. However, the risk a musician takes when they decide to go in a new direction is that they won't be able to bring all of their fans with them.

I imagine that, after "Endtroducing" and "The Private Press", DJ Shadow did not want to continue in the same direction when creating his third album. Fair enough. But after being so thrilled by the revolutionary music he created on his first two albums, and also that found on the "Preemptive Strike" compilation, "The Outsider" comes as a real disappointment. There are a couple of interesting tracks, but much of the time the listener finds themselves battling through rather conventional hip hop. I'll put my hand up right now and admit that I don't particularly like conventional hip hop, so if you do, you'll probably like this album more than I did. But if you're hoping to find similar music on this album to what you found on "Endtroducing", "The Private Press" and "Preemptive Strike", then you had better divest yourself of that expectation right now. That's not what you'll find here.